The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 19, 2021, 04:50 PM   #1
Reloader2

Swarovski

I’ve long wanted to try Swarovski Binoculars but made due with some cheaper glasses over the years.
Finally decided to try them and got a set of 12 X 42 NL Pure.
So far they are proving to be quite a step up in the right direction.
Recently found a great deal on SLC 15 X 56 which will be used mostly on a tripod.
Took some pics through them with an old I phone 5 and while they aren’t great they do allow me to zoom in with some pretty good detail during a rain storm. https://youtu.be/ssZqERZxyyg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 20, 2021, 09:40 PM   #2
Nathan

Very nice. How would you describe what is different?
Old January 5, 2022, 07:41 PM   #3
Scorch

Someone once told me "don't look through a Swarovski scope. If you do, nothing else will ever be good enough". Not sure if the binos are the same way, but he was right about the scopes.
Old January 6, 2022, 12:21 AM   #4
jmr40

A friend and I were killing some time a few years ago near the optics counter in a Cabela's while we waited on another friend to finish a purchase.

Gary is not a hunter, or even an outdoorsman at all. He noticed the Swarovski display and commented that he had a pair of their binoculars. I jokingly commented that I'd give him $100 sight unseen for them. I was quite surprised when he jumped on the idea.

Just to make sure he knew they were probably worth a lot more than that I pointed out the prices in the display. He still agreed to the $100 price and told me to come by his shop the next day.

Gary is my mechanic, and he had taken them in as partial payment for some work he had done at some point and had $50 in them. He had no use for them and knew I would use them.

To be fair they are an older pair, made in the 1980's according to my research and around $700-$750 is a fair price.

They are the Hibicht SL 7X42. They are a honking big glass, more than I want to carry hunting. But I've used them several times in the truck, including on 2 western road trips with grandkids. Even at their age they are very good.

Mine look like this

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...t=0&ajaxserp=0

Winston Churchill
Old January 9, 2022, 09:00 AM   #5
darkgael

One of my most fortunate moments…..I was given a set of Swarovski EL 10x42 binoculars by an older gentleman who had them from his recently deceased brother. The brother had been an avid birder.
“I have no use for them at my age. You want them?” “Yessir, I do.”
Pete
Old January 9, 2022, 09:21 AM   #6
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Someone once told me "don't look through a Swarovski scope. If you do, nothing else will ever be good enough". Not sure if the binos are the same way, but he was right about the scopes.

Many years ago, I am sure that was 100% accurate. But it is no longer. They still make great glass and their Binos are still top drawer compared to the competition. But in the scope realm, many other choices with equal or better glass.

Nice set Reloader2!
Old January 9, 2022, 08:45 PM   #7
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgael View Post
One of my most fortunate moments…..I was given a set of Swarovski EL 10x42 binoculars by an older gentleman who had them from his recently deceased brother. The brother had been an avid birder.
“I have no use for them at my age. You want them?” “Yessir, I do.”
Pete
I got a pair of those from a friend who got them when his dad died. His dad was a surveyor and just rode them around on the seat of his pickup so I didn't get a strap, case or lens covers but then I only gave 35.00 for them and he set the price.