The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 10, 2021, 07:13 AM   #1
BobCat45

NJ rabbi designs concealed-carry coat for Shabbat

This is just too amusing to not pass along. Please forgive any apparent transgressions against forum rules or good tate - none intended.

There is an article in the NY Post (I know, it is a tabloid rag, but I read anything with words in a row and don't believe everything I read) - https://nypost.com/2021/10/09/nj-rab...t-for-shabbat/
about an Orthodox Jewish Rabbi (who is also an NRA firearms instructor) who designed a concealed carry coat for Orthodox married men, that has snaps instead of buttons.

Apparently the "rules" say that married men have to wear a specific type of long coat to the synagogue, just as some other orthodox religions prescribe certain dress codes.

This guy was peeved he couldn't get to his Glock without fooling with a bunch of buttons, so he re-designed the coat with snaps to speed his draw.

All I can say is "The times they are a-changin'.'"
Old October 12, 2021, 06:48 AM   #2
BornFighting88

Too bad they probably can’t ever use it in the state it was designed in…. Poor Jersey inma….. I mean residents!!
Old November 11, 2021, 03:41 PM   #3
DT Guy

From the article, it sounds like they store firearms at the synagogue, and are able to wear them on the property. Good work-around.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old November 11, 2021, 06:20 PM   #4
BobCat45

Yes, I missed or glossed over that part - it seems so unnatural to not be able to legally holster up and go.

The article says:
Quote:
Cohen, who holds a concealed carry permit in a handful of states, also holds a permit to own and purchase firearms and ammunition with a license in New Jersey. (There are firearms that are legally able to be stored in the synagogue, which the rabbi has access to.)
Weird to think of a synagogue with an arms room. And I wonder if they can hold congregants weapons for them, so they can have them during services.

I knew a guy once who was Orthodox, and he and his Rabbi went back and forth about whether carrying a gun was work, like carrying a bag of potatoes, or whether "carrying" a gun meant "wearing" it. Apparently anything that is classified as "work" is forbidden on the Sabbath since it is the day of rest.

Life can get complicated if you let it.
Old November 11, 2021, 06:41 PM   #5
DaleA

Quote:
Life can get complicated if you let it.
There's some truth right there.
P.S. I'm stealing that phrase.
Old November 11, 2021, 07:47 PM   #6
BobCat45

Please - "adopting" or "appropriating" or even just "using" - no copyright, no ownership, not stealing.

But can you imagine someone whose Life is so slow and calm that he can seriously debate whether carrying a gun for self defense is "work", within the framework of "work" being proscribed on a particular day of rest?

How many .357 JHPs can dance on the head of a pin? Does the answer change if they are 158 grain or 125 grain?
Old November 12, 2021, 10:33 AM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Nice, but really nothing new

I asked an old time SFPD officer in the '90s how they'd carried their guns under their single or double breasted jackets. He told me he carried his in a cross draw rig and had snaps for quick access.

I did the same with my vest holster. I had the shirt buttons sewn onto the front of shirt and had a zipper beneath (I hate velcro) that gave me relatively quick access to a backup 22 LR.

However, I do commend this man for taking steps to defend himself. May he always walk in God's path and light.
Old November 12, 2021, 07:17 PM   #8
BobCat45

Wow! So there really is "nothing new under the sun"!

Buttons - who would have thought that in the 21st Century we'd still be using buttons? And shoe laces...

Anyway snaps and zippers sound like the best bets. I remember the first time I saw Velcro and couldn't figure out how it worked... it sounded like it was being torn so how can it go back together so smoothly?

I have to keep thinking about this. I wear a "cover shirt" over my CZ75B in IWB but in the winter (laugh, we really do have a few truly cold days in Houston) I wear a jacket - with a zipper. Not as fast as elbowing the shirt aside, so I need to think about modifications. "I've never had to draw in a hurry" is almost as unsatisfactory as "I didn't know it was loaded."
Old November 13, 2021, 12:31 PM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

I once considered designing an electronic sear release but then I read W. W. Greener's The Gun and Its Development. Some Englishment beat me to it over a century ago!
Old November 13, 2021, 06:27 PM   #10
BobCat45

The appeal of an electronic sear release is clear, especially to me with my tendency to "snatch" at the trigger. But I'm so distrustful of electrical things... Beats me.

I seem to recall that the rounds fired by the electric Gatling gun in the A-10 are electrically initiated. Apparently the whole process is too fast for them to fool around with a hammer or striker igniting a primer to ignite the main charge. But I've never heard of an electronic sear release on a modern rifle or pistol.