The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 15, 2011, 12:29 PM   #1
cwok

Stack On Reloading Bench

Stack-On sells some reloading benches that I've been looking at on the MIDWAYUSA site.

Has anybody had any experience with them ?

The metal frame appears sturdy enough, but I am wondering how the wooden work top is secured to the frame.
I figure that its almost certainly OK solid for work when pressure is being exerted straight down, but,
I'd probably buy this at the same time that I buy a Hornady Lock-N-Load and don't want to find out that they bench top 'shifts' when being used with a reloading press.

On the Midway site its listed as the Stack-ON 1-Drawer Reloading Bench 20' x 40 ' top with Pegboard backwall Product # 692631 | Stack-On #: WB-402.
I need something I can use in a second floor apartment, so a large built-in that's anchored to the wall studs would probably irritate my landlord.
Some folks get so fussy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stack-On.jpg (34.0 KB, 129 views)

Last edited by cwok; November 15, 2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old November 15, 2011, 12:45 PM   #2
hounddawg

Never had any experience with their reloading benches but if the is the same Stack On that sales tools their tools and toolboxes are top of the line and well made

would this be too large for you ?

http://www.harborfreight.com/60-inch...:referralID=NA

I bought one of these a several years back for my garage and it is solid as a rock.
Old November 15, 2011, 12:50 PM   #3
Don P

I think this is a better buy, # 648148 I looked for the Craftsman one I have and its no longer available . This is basically it with 1 extra draw
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/648...c=S016ID692631
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old November 15, 2011, 01:33 PM   #4
cwok

Bench size

I like both of the the bench suggestions as alternatives,
but,
I have to get something that I can fit into an apartment and the slightly smaller dimensions of the Stack-On will be a better fit.

In fact, one thing I am considering is welding wheels on it so I can move it from the crowded small spare room that is my current reloading area (and storage area for 'stuff''), out into the living room when I'm reloading.

I'm in Texas, and in the summer, would prefer to shut the a/c vent in the spare room park the bench in the living room while reloading.
The 20x40 size would be less awkward to move through the apartment hallway (which is already lined with bookshelves).
Old November 15, 2011, 01:33 PM   #5
praetorian97

Bust out the wood working tools fellas. Get a lot more for your money.

A friend of mine and I make these for $350 locally.

The pre fabs are a little excessively priced in my opinion.

Old November 15, 2011, 01:46 PM   #6
Chaz88

Quote:
A friend of mine and I make these for $350 locally.
That picture about made me go cross eyed. It makes the bench look six inches out of level.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old November 15, 2011, 02:55 PM   #7
praetorian97

Ha! Reminds me of the original Batman show with Adam West. All the Evil Lairs were crooked.
Old November 15, 2011, 05:59 PM   #8
OkieGentleman

Tabletop

Hounddawg

Is that a butcher block top on that table?
Old November 16, 2011, 06:02 AM   #9
hounddawg

Quote:
Is that a butcher block top on that table?
yep. for a cheap workbench mine has held up pretty well. Drawers were typical curb furniture so I rebuilt them and added better slides but I paid less than $100 total. Watch the website and you can get 20% off coupons. don't care for a lot of their stuff but some of their things are decent, or modifiable into decent.