The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 4, 2015, 10:32 AM   #26
serf 'rett

Quote:
What position on your body should carry your pistol or is that personal preference. I've been wear mine at my 3 o clock.
Personal preference is the correct answer. Each position has benefits and problems.

For me, the three o'clock carry seemed to bump into stuff like chair arms and door frames. Four o'clock and I whack against less stuff, but take a tad more time to check concealment.

Inside wastband with tucked shirt is easy to hide a Kahr or full size XDm. Same goes for inside wastband with polo shirt or heavy tee shirt cover garment. Kahr can be pocket carried, but would be quite difficult to access while seated. But is dang easy to tuck it in a Desantis pocket holster and drop both into casual or dress pants (if you are a larger frame person or wear loose clothes).

I just got a IWB holster for a new J frame to try appendix carry, but I haven't started the break in process yet as I'm still in ammo testing and selection mode.
Old March 4, 2015, 06:42 PM   #27
jimbob86

Quote:
Jim Bob how do did you deal with concealing the big gun?
I wore a very thin IWB holster with enough forward cant to it that the grip of the 1911 I carried was just about vertical ....... and I kept it about the 4 o'clock position. I also wore a XL tall (which I wore already, because my arms are too long for regular shirts) untucked, unbuttoned button shirt ..... heavy weight in winter and light weight cotton in the summer .... at times, I would just go with an untucked t-shirt ... you just have to avoid bending at the waist so it does not ride up.

The 1911 is not that big of a gun, really: the grip is the hardest part to conceal if you go IWB ..... the grip of the 1911 is narrow and not terribly long...... IDK if the sR40's would hide near as well ...
Old March 4, 2015, 07:28 PM   #28
Limnophile

I, too, reside in a state with constitutional open carry -- no permit required. Thus, if my concealed piece happens to be displayed (I don't think it ever has) or prints (it has) I haven't broken any law, but an inadvertent display could result in a concerned citizen calling the police, who would then have a legitimate reason to ask to see your concealed carry license. No big deal, but needless drama.

As far as dressing around the concealed weapon, I opted to carry primarily OWB to avoid having to buy a new set of pants one size larger. I used to routinely tuck in my shirts, but now days rarely do. I reside in western WA, so tropical weather is rarely encountered. I used to rarely wear t-shirts, but in summer I now do and wear a button-up shirt, usually unbuttoned, over it, which conceals very well and doesn't look odd (ie, overdressed for the weather) in this area.

As to where to wear the gun, I agree that 3:00 is asking for a lot of bumps and uncomfortable sitting. About 4:00 eliminates those problems for me. And, I agree that the dimension hardest to conceal is height, ie, the grip. A forward cant to the holster goes a long way to making the grip easier to conceal.

Finally, one gun just isn't enough. I have four compact-size pistols, as their primary use is carry and I wanted a full 3-fingered grasp on the grip. I must admit, my experimentation before buying convinced me that concealing a full-size pistol would not be much harder than concealing a compact. But, I very much want to add a pocket pistol, which would leave me no excuse for ever leaving home unarmed. I can pocket carry my compacts, but it looks like I have a huge tumor on my thigh, although no one has ever commented. A true pocket-sized pistol would ride in my pocket more comfortably.

Last edited by Limnophile; March 5, 2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old March 4, 2015, 07:50 PM   #29
coyotewsm

What brand of iwb holster has a forward cant.
Old March 4, 2015, 08:07 PM   #30
lefteye

Milt Sparks and Mitch Rosen for two.
Old March 4, 2015, 08:09 PM   #31
AK103K

My favorites are the Milt Sparks VII or one of Blade Techs kydex IWBs, depending on the season.
Old March 4, 2015, 09:17 PM   #32
motorhead0922

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotewsm
Pretty much all of them. I use Crossbreed Supertuck or its clone, Foxx.

I also got a Crossbreed belt with the hook and loop (Velcro) liner system and it is great when you actually tuck in the shirt. It's completely invisible.
2020: It's pronounced twenty twenty.
Old March 5, 2015, 08:39 AM   #33
Limnophile

Most holster makers offer products with a forward cant. I think 15° is typical.

A Crossbreed-type Kydex-leather IWB tuckable is likely a good choice. Many holster makers have something similar. The two points of attachment to the belt spreads the gun's weight out better than a single attachment point. A good, stiff and sturdy gun belt helps keeps the pistol grip tight into the body, helping to prevent printing. The belt attachment clips can be moved up or down, allowing the gun to ride lower or higher, respectively, or, if moved independently, allowing the cant to be adjusted.
Old March 5, 2015, 09:21 AM   #34
jimbob86

Quote:

Quote:
Most holster makers offer products with a forward cant. I think 15° is typical.
I'm no expert, but I think 15 degrees is not enough to make much difference if you are trying to get a fat butted pistol grip more in line with your body instead of sticking out behind you.

Coyotewsm, maybe you can not afford a second gun right now, but there is always the option to trade the one you have in for the sR40c version...... controls are all the same, and it'll even take the same magazines, with a spacer. My brother has the sR9c, and it came with 2 high cap magazines and a 10 rounder for carry, IIRC.

Or better yet, scrimp, save, sell plasma, pick up aluminum cans, whatever for a couple months: the sR9c can be had for just over 400 bucks ..... the 40c can't be that much more.
Old March 5, 2015, 09:45 AM   #35
AK103K

I dont think that SR40 would be all that hard to hide. I dont have one, but it doesnt seem to be much bigger than a Glock 17 or SIG P226, etc., if it is even as big.

Ive carried a number of full sized guns over the years, and never found it to be a problem. The forward cant type holsters, when carried at around 4-4:30, move the butt upwards enough to reduce the poking out, if you were to move the wrong way. Holsters like the Sparks VMII, also tend to pull the butt of the gun int the body, reducing the problem even more.

This is my one Colt Commander in a Blade Tech IWB. It gives a good idea as to how things ride.....

Old March 5, 2015, 10:53 AM   #36
serf 'rett

Quote:
Crossbreed Supertuck - adjustable cant and height, comfortable
Old March 5, 2015, 11:10 AM   #37
coyotewsm

I appreciate all the comments and advice I guess now I just need to experiment. The next thing I'm going to do is buy a gun belt. I like the looks of the beltman so I think ima go that rought
Old March 5, 2015, 11:43 AM   #38
Grits

HTML Code:
When you first carry you think the entire world sees it. Its normal. It's a neat thing to ask people you know if they noticed it, after the fact. 

Funny thing I found was I was amazed at how many people were carrying that I never noticed before, but was able to spot when specifically looking for it. Next time you go into Walmart, start eye searching patrons who are carrying. 
I believe this statement is spot on. I have really enjoyed reading the posts in this thread. They remind me of the time I was sitting with my wife in a Food Court in a mall in the capital city of Columbia, S.C.

I had been carrying my little KelTec PF9 in my front pocket for awhile and had gotten comfortable with it. While we were eating I made the statement that there were probably a lot of people eating there that would " freak out " if they knew I had a loaded gun if my pocket. My wife looked at me and said No, But I bet that you would freak out if you knew how many of them had one.

I think I will follow what this poster suggests and next time I am in WalMart waiting for my wife to spend all my money ; I will have something to do while I am waiting.
Old March 7, 2015, 07:29 AM   #39
Jeff22

carrying concealed

"Criminals may target you just for your gun if they think you are not paying attention" -- that's why I don't believe in open carry in urban environments.

As many people said, "Dress around the gun". You will probably have to buy some clothing items specific to hiding your gun, particularly if it's a bigger gun.
Old March 7, 2015, 07:52 AM   #40
Brit

After reading, in just about every gun blog, the "Carry a little gun" rational, a shoot out at a house, an attempted home invasion, where a whole bunch of rounds were fired by the homeowner, 30/40? 9mm ones.

Could not be bothered to find where I read it, but I saw it in more than one spot.

I am sure it has happened before anyhow, just not publicized. So please, stop kidding ourselves, it could happen to any one of us.

If you are going to carry a gun, carry enough gun! At least a 15 round magazine pistol (giving you 16 ready to go) plus a spare magazine, really for a malfunction problem, but another bunch of spare rounds, not a bad thing?

There are two kinds of gun toters? According to me. And I mean just us gun people who carry every day for protection.

The first, the chap with at least a dozen different pistols, who rotates them religiously, day in, day out! They might even do that with different holsters, in different places as well.

Then the more dedicated individual, the same gun, in the same place, always! Said gun must be a, as we used to say, a Hi-Capacity one.
Plus a spare magazine.

In my case, a Glock 19, and a G17 spare. Use the same rationale as you use with your vehicle, "Oh, I am at the gas station, low on gas? Why don't I put 5 gallons in the tank?" Hullo.
Old March 7, 2015, 08:50 AM   #41
turkeestalker

Quote:
Said gun must be a, as we used to say, a Hi-Capacity one
That again is an 'opinion' of an individual and obviously for the individual it is right and their right to hold it, but it may not be for you. Not intending any offense to the poster or anyone else, but that line of thinking kind of makes me uncomfortable to be honest.
I carry religiously as I said, which to me means that my chosen carry piece is as much a part of wardrobe as pants, or a shirt, underwear, socks, shoes, or even a watch or glasses. I am NEVER without it even on the weekend puttering around the house alone. When I take it off my person at night, it is next to me on the nightstand, and when I dress the following morning it is right back on my person without fail. Basically when I am dressed, I am armed. That said, I genuinely hope that I never find myself in a situation where I feel compelled to or am forced to draw my revolver and fire it in order to defend my family, loved one, or myself.
I carry religiously, not zealously... and I believe that there is a difference.
Old March 7, 2015, 09:17 AM   #42
coyotewsm

Okay another question pertaining to this topic. I am getting ready to order my gun belt from (the beltman) the belt has options that you can add which is an internal stiffener and an inside Velcro strip but I can only get one or the other. Which one of these options should I choose if any?
Old March 7, 2015, 10:15 AM   #43
turkeestalker

I'm not sure why an 'internal stiffener' would be necessary with a quality belt. As far as the Velcro goes or the stiffener, it's going to be your decision... sorry for being absolutely zero help!
Old March 7, 2015, 12:44 PM   #44
Brit

coyotewsm;

The belt I have worn for at least 15 years. An Instructor Belt, comes with a stiffener, no metal "The Frequent flier belt" from the Wilderness Store in Arizona.

This belt is still like new! I wear it every day. With a Glock 19, a spare G17 magazine, and a Flash Light. No leather.
Old March 7, 2015, 03:09 PM   #45
Limnophile

The two defining characteristics of a gunbelt are:

- It's a lot stiffer than a regular belt, and
- It has finer adjustment options than a regular belt.

Many gunbelts, whether leather or nylon, achieve the required stiffness by being built around a stiff layer of polymer. A stiff belt will hold the gun closer to the body, thus allowing for better concealment and less fatigue.

Fine adjustments (eg, closer holes in a leather belt) are needed to keep the belt tightly cinched. A belt holding up a loaded firearm in addition to your pants is working harder, and a close, yet comfy, fit is required.
Old March 8, 2015, 12:53 PM   #46
BillG174

I have "The Ultimate Gun Belt" from abetterbeltusa.com. For only $10 extra it has a Kydex stiffener. For $10 I thought why not. Check out their website. Great belts and company.
Old March 8, 2015, 01:18 PM   #47
jimbob86

Quote:
There are two kinds of gun toters? According to me. And I mean just us gun people who carry every day for protection.

The first, the chap with at least a dozen different pistols, who rotates them religiously, day in, day out! They might even do that with different holsters, in different places as well.

Then the more dedicated individual, the same gun, in the same place, always! Said gun must be a, as we used to say, a Hi-Capacity one.
Plus a spare magazine.
Seems to me that you'd have to be more "dedicated" to develop a dozen different rigs and skillsets to run them than to just put on the same rig every day......

I don't fit in either category ...... I'm to lazy to practice with much of anything but my hunting rifle and carry gun, and don't do enough of that, even ..... but it's the same gun in the same place, and it only holds 9 bullets !........ and what about the 5-shot pocket revolver guys? They are as common as any other "toter" ......

"Toters" are individuals, even the ones that overgeneralize and the ones that do everything according to that wonderful oxymoron, "Gun Fora Conventional Wisdom"...... and they'll do it how they find it works for them.
Old March 8, 2015, 01:31 PM   #48
jimbob86

Quote:
Okay another question pertaining to this topic. I am getting ready to order my gun belt from (the beltman) the belt has options that you can add which is an internal stiffener and an inside Velcro strip but I can only get one or the other. Which one of these options should I choose if any?
I can't tell you which you would like better ..... stiffer is better, generally, and wider/thicker is stiffer. Too stiff and wide and it won't be as comfortable ....

re:
Quote:
The belt I have worn for at least 15 years
, etc.

... maybe I'm a bit tougher on belts than most folks .... mine tend to get pretty tattered and stained after a couple of years of wearing it everyday .... likewise with holsters .....

I see all these pix of "EDC" rigs .... that everybody says they put on everyday, and go about their life...... and almost without exception, everything looks new and clean ......
Old March 8, 2015, 01:57 PM   #49
The Verminator

Your gun is too big.

Carry small, carry smart, carry CONCEALED.

Truth is, you're not alone by any means. Seems like half the people out there are trying to carry full-size duty guns.....and not doing real well at concealing them.

I suspect that some of them actually WANT people to know they're carrying.

There are some show-offs among us, I guess.

Most people won't notice. The average guy is just not that attentive.

Cops will notice. Most don't care, some do. Some will give you a hard time. Some will give you a really, REALLY hard time.

Bad guys will also notice because it's their business to know if somebody might have a gun......they may want to steal it or they may just want to avoid it. Either way, they have the jump on you and are one step ahead if your carry can be made.

Most of us who have been carrying for many years gradually get into something really comfortable and easy to conceal--probably in the right front pocket.

Carry small, carry smart, carry CONCEALED.
Old March 8, 2015, 02:09 PM   #50
jimbob86

Quote:
Most of us who have been carrying for many years gradually get into something really comfortable and easy to conceal--probably in the right front pocket.
That's one man's opinion. Here's another:

I would never even consider pocket carry, because unless your hand is in your pocket already (and who walks around sith their hands in their pockets 24-7?) on the gun, or you are wearing a pair of clown pants with pockets that stay open (also a non-starter), draw speed is going to be too slow to be of much use in any situation you did not see coming well in advance (and thus could have been avoided anyway) ..... it also requires a small gun..... I believe in having enough gun.... you go to the trouble of carrying a gun at all, you might as well carry one useful beyond contact distances and against more than one assailant. YMMV.