The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 15, 2006, 06:14 PM   #1
ScaryWoody

Installing Night Sights (without the tool)

I have a Glock 19 that I wanted to install Trijicon Night Sights onto. I neglected to purchase the install tool ($60-$85). I went to a couple of gun shops but no one "smiths" anymore. I could send it out and wait and wait and pay for the service and postage. I needed to find an alternative method.

I examined the "pounding it on with a wooden dowel" method. However, if too much force is applied then the glass vials might break. The sights are durable but they are not designed to be directly hit multiple times with a hammer.

I read of one setup that used a multi vise with "C" clamps and wood but he could only get them on 80% of the way. He then did the wooden dowel pounding method for the rest of the 20%.

There must be a better way! Then it occured to me that I might be able to use my drill press. Pressing is what it does, right? I also had a wood vise clamp that I figured I could use to hold the slide.

I set it up with the wood vise clamped to the drill press plate. I field stripped the Glock 19, checking for an empty chamber first . I removed the recoil spring and barrel. I masking taped the sides and top to protect the finish.

I removed the front sight first by simply using a 1/32" punch and popping out the OEM front sight. Easy.

The front sight is installed by using the supplied hex screw and driver. A drop of Blue Loctite helps keep it in place and the set screw tightened finger tight. Simple!

Now the Hard Part.....

I initially set the drill press up with a wooden dowel and carefully aligned the dowel over the existing sight. I wrapped the slide with a piece of leather and placed it into the clamp. I also placed a chisel handle under the slide for added support from downward pressure. With slow steady pressure I began pushing the rear sight. Unfortunately, the wood dowel split and splintered and didn't budge the sight.

I was going to have to use something harder. I then inserted a steel punch into the press. I was worried about scratching the slide but with careful alignment and slow pressure I was able to press the OEM sight out. There was damage to the side of the sight but the OEM's are plastic and cheap. The removal of the rear sight is left to right.

The installation of the Night Sight is right to left. After wiping out the sight dovetail, I put in one drop of oil. I placed the Trijicon sight into the groove and pushed it about a third of the way in using finger pressure.

With the slide firmly in place I carefully aligned the punch over the sight. With slow firm pressure it began to slide into the dovetail. You have to use quite a bit of pressure to get it moving.

The first press resulted in the sight going too far and I had to flip it over and push it back. Of course, it went past center and I had to flip it once again.

Third time was the charm. I got it to what is about dead center. I will have to test fire to be sure, but it looks good. The replacement Trijicon's are a bit narrower than the OEM's and there is a little bit of play should I need to adjust left or right.

They do look pretty cool!

(Sorry for the lousy pictures, I need a new camera...)

Last edited by ScaryWoody; July 15, 2006 at 07:04 PM.
Old July 17, 2006, 07:27 PM   #2
Brian D.

Good idea, way to use the ol' noggin! Remember that these night sights should be able to take a little tapping if you need to drift one a bit for alignment. After all, the glass vials normally hold up to the oomph of recoil without breaking.