The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 8, 2020, 01:51 PM   #26
USSR

Quote:
Aguila, are you still using Golden Sabers? If so, can you share your load data with me?
With burbank_jung asking for load data, I'd say it's a safe assumption that he is talking about bullets and reloading.

Don
Old December 8, 2020, 01:58 PM   #27
Unclenick
Staff

Looks like I focused on the questions by others. I've removed my terminology discussion.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 8, 2020, 11:00 PM   #28
zeke

A bullet that will function 100 % in the intended firearm. Spent years loading the 230 xtp to plus p velocitys. Accurate, reliable, likely to expand to full bullet dia easily, easy to get good case neck tension to limit bullet set back and get some added penetration. Have lately started using 210 wfp coated at more sedate velocities. Mainly for better control in lighter carry 1911's. Speer 230 gn sb gd's might be another good choice.
Old December 9, 2020, 11:59 AM   #29
BJung

After reading this thread along with others on the web, I have a good idea of my choices. I now have a question about powder but will open a new thread.
Old December 10, 2020, 06:00 AM   #30
HiBC

O hair

Quote:
"...should not use hand-loaded ammunition..." That's was started by Massad Ayoob, years and years ago. Any good defense lawyer would be able to blow the argument that hand loaded ammo is somehow evil, out of the building.
I realize you live in another Country than USA,and they may not be friendly to self defense handguns.

Massad Ayoob did write about it. I actually read and comprehended what he had to say.
The point is NOT "Those sick twisted handloaders want to load bullets that kill deader,like Dum-Dums"
FWIW,I don;t know of any case where handloads are less legal to use for SD.

The point IS you may have a dead body to explain with no witnesses.Think Zimmerman/Martin.Or,as in Ferguson,lying witnesses.

Forensic evidence,such as gun shot residue,may corroborate your story.

If you use factory loads, off the shelf ammo may be tested to provide admissable evidence.

Your handloads? probably not.

Sometimes,O'heir,the way you confidently put out wrong information could do harm.

Last edited by HiBC; December 10, 2020 at 06:07 AM.
Old December 10, 2020, 01:53 PM   #31
Kevin Rohrer

230gr. Hornady Critical Defense.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old December 10, 2020, 04:33 PM   #32
Unclenick
Staff

HiBC has it right about Ayoob's argument. It isn't a matter of what is or isn't legal to use for self-defense. It's about forensic techs who don't know or care enough about firearms misunderstanding something they can't replicate exactly with commercial loads. They might replicate it with your handloads, but can't prove the handload you used is the same as their sample. This can result in unnecessarily raised suspicions, especially if you have a hot dog anti-gun prosecutor. In Ayoob's examples, attorneys have gotten some of these sorts of misinterpretations tossed out, but not all, and why would you want the expense of defending yourself in court and risking a bad outcome if you can avoid it in the first place for the cost of a box of ammunition?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle