The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 21, 2017, 11:46 AM   #51
F. Guffey

Quote:
Anyone who is curious should take a look at the work of former Lawrence Livermore National Laboratories engineer, Varmint Al. He has finite element analysis done on fancy government software that shows no petroleum lubricant can produce a low enough coefficient of friction to stop the case from absorbing at least some of the bolt thrust
Some claim they want to rough up the chamber and case to get a better grip, I want a 100% contact between the case and chamber, 100% contact is better than the cross hatch pattern some believe is the best for grip.

I prefer a shiny/smooth surface on my chamber and case; same for my rotors and drums. When it comes to a smooth stop, and then? There are those conspiracy buffs. They do not have a clue; they can grease up one drum or rotor and then test drive. I can save them time, work and effort because the grease/fluid on the surface of the drum will cause the steering wheel to be jerked out of their hand, I say hand because I can not see them driving with both hands on the wheel.

Now tell me? If that fluid/grease allowed slide and glide what locked the wheel and caused the tire to slide. In the beginning there was a problem with bullets that streaked the barrel, removing the streaks required effort. So? They greased the bullet to reduce streaking. And then right up to the early '50s there were cautions about the bullet and removing the streaks.

I want my case to lock to the chamber, I find nothing about greasing my bullets that is entertaining, I want nothing between the case and chamber but air. I do not want a lot of air.

And then there is forming, if a reloader can not form cases to fit I guess they can grease their bullets, I have never been impressed with slide and glide shooting but some get all giggly with it. All of this about a bullet that streaked the barrel.

F. Guffey