The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 9, 2017, 07:53 PM   #1
zanemoseley

Who has used both the Hornady LNL AP and Dillon 650?

I currently have a Hornady LNL AP for my 45 match loads and a RCBS rock chucker I use for random tasks, small quantities and long range rifle loads.

I was thinking of getting a second LNL AP so I can have one press dedicated to each primer size and have 2 calibers set up. In general I've been happy with my LNL but it's had a few issues and am looking into the Dillon 650 also.

I'm looking for input from people that have used both for some time. Before I looking a second LNL I want to explore all options.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Old June 9, 2017, 08:25 PM   #2
Crunchy Frog

I have the LNL-AP. Several of my friends have the 650 but I don't have any firsthand experience with the Dillon.

You might want to check out the Ultimate Reloader website or YouTube channel; he reviews lots of different presses (and other products) in a pretty non-biased manner.
Old June 9, 2017, 08:50 PM   #3
THEWELSHM

Make sure you set up your LNL per Highboy YouTube videos you won't have any problems

Thewelshm
Old June 11, 2017, 01:19 PM   #4
jmorris

I have had several LNL's and 650's, also had RCBS and Lee progressives too.

I still have at least one of every Dillon they make. If I wanted a progressive with case feed the 650 is where I would start.
Old June 11, 2017, 01:45 PM   #5
noylj

I have used both. My personal opinion:
If you don't need a case collator, get the Hornady.
If you do need a case collator, get the Dillon.
I prefer everything about the Hornady over the Dillon, except the Dillon has several decades of working with a case collator over the Hornady.
Other than that, get two 1050s and forget it.
Old June 11, 2017, 11:30 PM   #6
drain smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanemoseley View Post
I currently have a Hornady LNL AP for my 45 match loads and a RCBS rock chucker I use for random tasks, small quantities and long range rifle loads.

I was thinking of getting a second LNL AP so I can have one press dedicated to each primer size and have 2 calibers set up. In general I've been happy with my LNL but it's had a few issues and am looking into the Dillon 650 also.

I'm looking for input from people that have used both for some time. Before I looking a second LNL I want to explore all options.

I have read all of your post. As far as I can see you have the AP. Have you considered adding a case feeder? Or even turning it in to an Ammo Plant? Now you say you have had a few issues. Have you got them fixed? If I had only two Ammo plants I would have one set up for pistol, and one set up for rifle.

Now Mr. Morris What is wrong with my case feeder?
Old June 12, 2017, 01:33 PM   #7
jmorris

I don't know if you have any problems with yours but more people have problems with the LNL case feed than the Dillon.

The Dillon's come from the factory with the case feed on the machine when the owner adds "case feed they just drop on the collator the rest is already to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl63cR9Y_Y0

The LNL has the user install and tune everything.
Old June 12, 2017, 02:41 PM   #8
drain smith

Mr. Morris I am the one that posted the video of my Ammo Plant Running 100 rounds. And you stated that you were impressed.
Old June 12, 2017, 03:09 PM   #9
jmorris

Quote:
Mr. Morris I am the one that posted the video of my Ammo Plant Running 100 rounds. And you stated that you were impressed.
I remember and with only 3 minor snags, has been the best running video of an LNL I have seen to date at 6:37/100.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B30...lacE1tTEE/view
Old June 12, 2017, 03:53 PM   #10
drain smith

I have put in a weep hole in the back of the hopper now to keep that damn corn cob from dropping down the fill tube. That is what cause 2 snags.
Old June 12, 2017, 09:56 PM   #11
zanemoseley

Well I ran 400 rounds of .45 acp tonight and I just don't know if I can justify buying a Dillon 650. I use my left hand to grab both the brass and bullet for the next round, the collator would be nice but for 5000 rounds on average a year it probably isn't needed. The only snag I really had in the 400 rounds was when a piece of brass made it through that had 2 stainless pins lodged in the flash hole, this locked the press up pretty good, the Dillon wouldn't have liked it either I guarantee.

Things I like about the LNL are the value, amazing price for a 5 stage press that allows a powder check station and it just seems to work well without much tinkering. I get a really good feel on the primer seat and can easily tell if the primer is missing or if I've run out. I've had good luck with large pistol primers, nearly no trouble with the priming system and I like that it only feeds primers when need unlike the Dillon which keep feeding primers whether they're needed or not.

One of the big issues I've had was when I installed a roller handle from Inline Fabrication, over the course of a couple thousand rounds I had to continually tighten it, eventually the threads in the casting started to get damaged. I permanently fixed the issues by drilling through the casting and handle and tapping for a 1/4-20 bolt which now pins them both together. Since its not a Hornady licensed accesory I can't blame them 100% but it's the same style as the Dillon handle.

Old June 12, 2017, 10:08 PM   #12
jmorris

Quote:
I get a really good feel on the primer seat and can easily tell if the primer is missing or if I've run out.
I used the Dillon low primer alarm on my LNL's works fine, it alerts you to low primers.
Old June 12, 2017, 10:35 PM   #13
zanemoseley

I can feel when I'm out of primers 99.9% of the time, couldn't ask for more really.

Old June 13, 2017, 06:20 AM   #14
rebs

One thing I added to my LNL is the Dillon low primer alarm. I set it so the alarm goes off when I have one primer left in the tube.
Old June 13, 2017, 12:55 PM   #15
BigJimP

I have buddies with some of each ...and personally I prefer the 650.

Case Feeder on the 650 seems to be a little better...and the 650 seems to handle primers a little better than the LNL. The LNL is a little bit fussy on primer feed in my opinion ...and based on what some of my buddies say.

They are both good solid presses...but a slight nod to the 650 in my view.

I load and shoot about 20,000 - 25,000 rds a year...mostly 9mm.../ although I also load for .380 , .40 S&W, .45 acp, .38 spl, .357 mag and .44 mag.../ but even if I only shot and reloaded 5,000 rds a year, I would still go with the 650 with a case feeder.

As an example, I went downstairs after my chores were done this am...and in 30 min or so, I easily loaded about 500 rds of 9mm....or 10 boxes....( and that included running every finished round thru a case gage before I boxed them up ...) and put them in inventory to pull from for my range trip today with 4 boxes - and 4 more boxes on thurs for my weekly buddy match) - all 9mm. The 650 with the case feeder - just runs well ..!!
Old June 13, 2017, 07:17 PM   #16
noylj

I love my Dillon 1050s, but really, at my age, if they were stolen, a Hornady would quickly appear on the bench.
For those who like to feel the primer being seated, don't get a 1050. I can't feel a thing, even when ONLY priming a case. IT will totally smash a primer and you'll never know.
BigJimP: Yes, if you judge a press by the case collator, the 650 is probably better. The comparison should be with presses as they come, with NO extras. Just the basic design of the 650 forces one to get a case collator. As soon as your comparison is a 650 with case collator and Hornady as it is shipped, you are comparing apples and oranges and not making any real point.
The Dillons, to me, were a pain to supply with cases. Either I had to fill a tube with 20 or so cases and then load those, stop, and feed another 20 cases into the tube, or I had to use my right arm, awkwardly, to feed in each case. Maybe my mind has forgotten the horror, but that is what I remember. So, take off the case collator and sit down with both machines and see which is easier, more open, and quicker to make cartridge changes on.
I used to go through the garage and every time I did, I would run off about 100 rounds on one of my 1050s. Takes no time at all, if the primer tubes are kept full and racked up, ready to go.
Old June 14, 2017, 08:31 AM   #17
ed308

Wow. Would've never thought you couldn't feel a primer seating on the 1050. I would think i would about the same as a 650. My right shoulder would like that feature!
Old June 14, 2017, 09:23 AM   #18
jmorris

Quote:
Wow. Would've never thought you couldn't feel a primer seating on the 1050. I would think i would about the same as a 650. My right shoulder would like that feature!
It seats on the downstroke, you set primer depth with an Allen wrench. Primer depth is exact not a "feel" like most other presses. The Lee Loadmaster is the only other press that has the operator set the primer depth and they seat on the down stroke however they are missing the all important primer pocket swaging station that he 1050 has.
Old June 14, 2017, 05:35 PM   #19
Beanie-Bean

I have both, and use my LnL AP for decapping only. Originally, it was purchased as to be a dedicated loader for .45ACP, but found more value in it serving as a dedicated decapping press. I was using my single stage LnL for that, and the AP is definitely much faster.

All of my production rounds are loaded on either a Dillon RL550B or an XL650. My Hornady presses are used for auxiliary tasks, such as decapping and FL sizing. I also use the single stage for load development, but have done more of that on my 550 lately.