The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 4, 2017, 11:58 AM   #1
Mike38

Lyman #55

Bought a slightly used Lyman #55 powder measure yesterday. The old Lee Perfect Powder Measure had given up the ghost, it started throwing inconsistently. Once I figured out how the three barrel adjustment slides worked on the Lyman, it appears that this will be a great powder measure. New the Lyman sells for $90. Got this excellent condition used one for $60.

It didn't come with any papers, so watching a couple You Tube videos helped a bunch. Are there any tips or tricks I should know about the Lyman?
Old June 4, 2017, 12:55 PM   #2
ShootistPRS

Like any other powder thrower get a consistent rhythm and when using powders with large kernels it helps to use the knocker a few times to settle the kernels in the cavity.
Old June 4, 2017, 01:40 PM   #3
daboone

The 55 is a consistent performer with ball and flake powders. It not so with extruded/stick powders. As Shootist states it requires contestant operation and rhythm. Once you're got how it feels and sounds it will serve you well.
Old June 4, 2017, 02:16 PM   #4
ShootistPRS

I find my Lyman 55 to be better with the extruded powders than any of my other measures. I can keep from cutting kernels by using the knocker to settle the grains in the cavity.
Old June 4, 2017, 02:21 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

I have (or had?) one of those, haven't seen it in decades. Its probably under the shelf next to the Ark of the Covenant....

its a good measure, Lyman has been selling essentially that design for over a century.
Old June 4, 2017, 03:04 PM   #6
ShootistPRS

44 AMP,
If you feel like paying it forward I know someone who could use a powder measure. She is just starting to get involved in reloading and I will take the time to clean it all up and give it to her. I got her a press and a scale and the press only cost flat rate shipping to me - she didn't pay anything. The scale was donated and shipped to me without cost. Reloaders are great folks!
Old June 5, 2017, 02:12 AM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

I'd consider it, if it turns up, and I shall do some looking but don't get your hopes up.

If the gremlins realize I'm looking for it, I'll never find it...
Any idea if there's hazmat charges for a solid mass of rust and rodent droppings??
Old June 5, 2017, 12:30 PM   #8
ShootistPRS

Rodent dropping can carry disease but I don't think that there is a specific haz-mat for it.
I never expect anything - you don't know me and I suppose a guy could make some coffee money by scamming folks. I guess I just expect people to be like me, ready to pay it forward as they can. I don't need money, even though I am on a fixed income, and I have a little time to clean things up and repair them and sometimes add a little paint. I just remember how hard it was to get my reloading gear back when I was in my 20s and supporting a new family.
Don't worry about digging for it but if you run across it think about whether it might help someone else. Give it to someone local or send it to me, as long as it spreads the reloading hobby it's a good thing.
Old June 5, 2017, 04:58 PM   #9
Mike38

I did about 30 "practice drops" with this Lyman and weighed every other load. Very consistent for sure. Darn thing is built like a tank, so I'm sure it will still be used by my grandkids.
Old June 5, 2017, 05:05 PM   #10
muzzleblast...

My first powder measure was a Lyman 55. Although I have added several others to the collection the #55 is still a favorite.
Old June 5, 2017, 08:19 PM   #11
ShootistPRS

My #55 is relegated to those loads using stick powders and it does a great job with them. I was donated a 55 that is missing some parts. I am in the process of finding plastic tube that I can make a new reservoir with or I may end up having to buy one. I am almost done with the top slide of the measure - it was missing. I'll get it fixed up and painted and give it away to someone who needs it.
Old June 13, 2017, 08:08 AM   #12
J.G. Terry

Lyman 55's-a tradtional favorite

This is my experience with Lyman 55's. The 55 is a highly satisfactory powder measure. Here, over the years the only one real problem has surfaced. These 55's have the plastic reservoir that fits into the metal body. It's possible to knock this plastic part off and dump contents onto the floor. The Lyman black powder measure has the metal reservoir solid on the metal body. Lyman has a booklet with instructions for their equipment the come in the new gear. This experience has to do with older 55's. I'll gladly give a home for unwanted 55's out of the goodness of my heart.
Old June 13, 2017, 08:43 AM   #13
Don Fischer

Using stick powder there is no way I'd throw the powder into any case with out weighting it. I bump sometime's and often get to where I want to be but, not all the time!
Old June 14, 2017, 01:44 PM   #14
Reloader270

I have a Lyman 55, RCBS Uniflow, Ohaus Dual, Foster Benchrest and a Harrel. As indicated above there is not really better one's. Consistency with the up and down strokes is more important with all of them. I must further say that the hammer on the Lyman 55 is an excellent help. With the other one's I just give the powder cylinder a double tap when dropping the powder.