The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 1, 2017, 07:31 PM   #1
PNWPewPewPew

Lee Classic Turret (First go) / Safety Primer Sticking

So after countless hours of research I finally decided on a Lee Classic Turret. There are plenty of videos and resources which are invaluable and extremely helpful and I'm glad I made the purchase.

There were a few issues on my first go around.

My press wasn't quite indexing right. It was a bit disappointing, considering I thoroughly cleaned it and lubricated it prior to starting. It was stopping just shy of full advance and I had to advance it by hand. I took apart the indexing rod and checked the square ratchet. Turn out I didn't have the indexing rod/ram assembly square with the rest of the device. I just used a screw driver to put it at 12 o'clock and it indexes fine now. Runs like silky smooth. There's a good video on how to disassemble and lube it on youtube. I'm not linking it because if you're really going to do this, you've already found that video.

My other issue was the lee safety prime. It's a very intuitive system. And an extremely good value for Classic turret press owners. But mine was very "sticky". Once it deposited a primer (when it would be gracious enough to do so), it would not retract. Many times it spat primers like a rude house guest hawking loogies, all over the garage floor.

==========================================
DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A RELOADING EXPERT OR AN EXPERT IN RELOADING EQUIPMENT. MY FINDINGS ARE FOR ACADEMIC PURPOSES ONLY. I DO NOT RECOMMEND PERFORMING THESE MODIFICATIONS. DOING SO CAN RENDER YOUR EQUIPMENT INOPERABLE OR EVEN INJURE OR KILL YOU. IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM, THE BEST SOLUTION IS TO RETURN IT TO THE MANUFACTURER.
==========================================

I decided to open up the feed mechanism and take a look at what was happening.

Figure 1. Primer Feeding Head

The picture above shows the feeding head removed from the primer tray assembly. It just takes a phillips screwdriver, had to remind myself not to reef on these parts because they are plastic. I used an appropriately sized screwdriver as not strip the screws. It just takes one screw to disassemble the feeding head from the primer tray assembly.

Figure 2. Removable lower panel

It only takes the removal of the screw shown in Figure 1 to disassemble the entire primer feed mechanism. Using care I flipped it over to get the view shown in Figure 2. There is a spring under that panel, and it can get easily lost.

Figure 3. Spring which can easily be lost.

Removing the lower panel reveals the spring underneath shown in Figure 3.
The short leg goes on the rear in the small hole/recess, the long leg fits into a pin hole on the front of the assembly, then the side is pushed in so that it is recessed into the body of the feeding head.

Figure 4. Parts I fiddled with the most. I also fiddled with the piston.

I ended up with a pile of parts shown in Figure 4.
So, when the head is pushed forward, item 2 holds a primer, item 3 slips over the front post of item 1, which causes the piston to push the primer down onto the primer cup on the press. What happens is there are sharp contact points between parts 1 and 3, and between the piston (shown above item 2 with a spring around the body) and item 2 (primer holder arm/slider). These caused mine to hang up. I believe the majority of the issue is caused by the interface between the piston and item 2.

Figure 5. Went at it all gentle like right there at the blue arrow.

I took item 2 (primer holder arm/slider) shown in Figure 5 and gently rounded down the sharp edge along where the arrow is pointed. I used a diamond file and sand paper just to ever so slightly take it down and reassembled. The amount that is required in terms of material removal for all of these items was nearly un-noticeable. I went slow because I can always take more off, I can't put more back on. I just put a very minor chamfer in the area where it makes contact with the bottom of the piston.

Figure 6. The piston

Figure 6 shows the piston. I took a diamond file and gently worked around that edge as well. Again, the change was very very very small. Just a slight chamfer as well.

Last edited by PNWPewPewPew; June 1, 2017 at 11:10 PM.
Old June 1, 2017, 07:32 PM   #2
PNWPewPewPew

Figure 7. The work continues.

At the front of item 1 (primer feed body) shown in Figure 7, there is a ramp in which item 3 (primer feed top) goes across. I just rounded that top corner a bit where I circled it in red.

Figure 8. FINALLY, geez. Item 3 flipped over.

I rounded the reinforcing rib on item 3 shown in Figure 8.

Now it feeds flawlessly and returns to position without me having to assist it. There's the added benefit of not having to hunt for primers that are spat all over the ground.

Happy Loading Everybody!

Last edited by PNWPewPewPew; June 1, 2017 at 07:40 PM.
Old June 1, 2017, 07:40 PM   #3
TJB101

Thanks for this ... my safety prime just came in the mail and your notes may become invaluable.
Old June 1, 2017, 07:42 PM   #4
PNWPewPewPew

Good luck! I hope you don't have to do anything but install it and go.
Old June 2, 2017, 05:53 AM   #5
jetinteriorguy

I've fought with the safety prime for almost a year before giving up on it. This is on the Value Turret, not the Classic Turret. Finally one day I was looking at it with the turret removed and I could clearly see why it wasn't working, there was a drop distance of over 1/4" before the primer was seated in the primer arm. This allowed the primers to often catch on any little part and either flip over, turn sideways, or just plain fall out when retracting the priming head. So I have come to the conclusion that even though they say it works with the Value Turret, it doesn't work with the Value turret. So I just deprime and prime off the press, no big deal to do this.
Old June 2, 2017, 08:00 AM   #6
Don P

Quote:
This is on the Value Turret, not the Classic Turret. Finally one day I was looking at it with the turret removed and I could clearly see why it wasn't working, there was a drop distance of over 1/4" before the primer was seated in the primer arm. This allowed the primers to often catch on any little part and either flip over, turn sideways, or just plain fall out when retracting the priming head. So I have come to the conclusion that even though they say it works with the Value Turret, it doesn't work with the Value turret. So I just deprime and prime off the press, no big deal to do this.
For what it's worth, I loaded over 40,000 rounds on the press you mention and the priming system worked without issue.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old June 2, 2017, 01:30 PM   #7
Russell P

I had the same issues with mine for awhile. I got sick of hunting primers spewed across the floor. I took some Ballistol and squirted some into the contact points and cycled the units about a hundred times each. They worked flawlessy after that. I did the oil removal with some denatured alcohol I had at the shop and blew it out with air.

GTG now. Happy as can be.

Russ P
Old June 2, 2017, 01:34 PM   #8
Russell P

Hey Jetguy, I had to remove the 1/4" washer that they insisted that I put between frame of the press and the safety prime unit itself. It took about 2 minutes and putting on my reading glasses to figure that out.

Russ P
Old June 4, 2017, 11:09 AM   #9
Real Gun

I have one for each type and size of primer, partly so they can remain loaded with less than 100 primers. Large are white and small are black. If I had one that gave me trouble, I would call and ask for another one. Meanwhile I would use a different one for the same size primer.

So, be sure to have at least two of each size (color) primer carriages.

Engineering types can't help themselves, maybe would hate to wait, but I would have just called Lee.
Old June 4, 2017, 02:58 PM   #10
ShootistPRS

I thought the company name was Lee "Precision". It doesn't sound very precision to me, and that is what I have noticed with every Lee product I have had the misfortune to use.
I have never had to tweak or polish or modify a priming tool or anything else from RCBS. I understand inexpensive tools but I only buy them when I want something that I can modify to get a job done and then throw it away.
Old June 4, 2017, 05:34 PM   #11
jetinteriorguy

Mine didn't have any washer and no mention anywhere of using a washer. I think the other problem I had is because the primer arm is mounted off to the side at an angle not straight in the front of the press like the classic cast. Now usually I'm the guy who can work with mechanical things that require tinkering or need to be operated with a certain technique. What I do for a living requires a very high level of skills and I've been doing it for 44 years. And I'm not one to give up easily but the safety prime at this stage has me stumped. Not a big deal, I don't mind depriming and priming off the press.
Old June 4, 2017, 06:48 PM   #12
Real Gun

You're right about the primer dispenser swinging in at a different angle on the two turret press models. On my Classic Cast, the dispenser matches up perfectly with the primer cup before dropping the primer, no gap, no runaway primers. BTW the primer dispenser mount on the Classic Cast does sit on a spacer that appears to be about 1/4" thick.
Old June 4, 2017, 07:15 PM   #13
jetinteriorguy

I'd like to get a classic cast turret but I bought the Value turret used for $15.00 and other than priming it works fantastic. Since I don't really mind depriming and priming off the press I don't feel the need to spend more on another press. But I'm keeping the safety prime in case I get a good deal on a used Classic Cast Turret.
Old June 4, 2017, 11:16 PM   #14
kmw1954

PNW nice post and good work with photos and documenting your time. Some should find it very useful.
Old June 6, 2017, 07:43 AM   #15
73Ranger100

Morning everyone. Thanks for the information. I just received a lee classic turret as a gift from my Mom -in-law. It is my first press and I have been having issues with the safety primer system. The primers keep getting jammed up in the mouth of the feeder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 6, 2017, 08:26 AM   #16
Real Gun

If you have jamming, make sure you have the large or small feeder to match the primer size. Mine are taped around the middle of the chute so it won't spread and jam up.

I suggest calling Lee rather than taking things apart and spending days on the internet with the challenge of figuring this out.
Old June 6, 2017, 08:47 AM   #17
pete2

This makes me glad my press is Blue. I've bought Lee products before and found that the powder scoops are very good.
Old June 6, 2017, 11:47 AM   #18
kmw1954

73Ranger100, I think you should listen to these other guys and just throw that present from your mother-in-law in the trash as it's complete junk and not worth your time to even try to use it. All it will do is make you cry and bring you heart ache.

You need to learn pay once, cry once! Also don't pay any attention to the thousands of those presses that are being used every day. Those people don't know anything about what they are doing!
Old June 6, 2017, 01:47 PM   #19
ShootistPRS

Contact Lee by phone and let them know what problems you are having. Give them a chance to help you through it. If they cant help you solve the problem then don't use the automatic primer and go to a hand primer system like the Lee or RCBS hand primer tools.
Old June 8, 2017, 11:17 PM   #20
PNWPewPewPew

YES, THE BEST ADVISE IS TO CONTACT LEE. I'm sure they would be more than willing to help.

I like taking stuff apart. Being plastic parts, I always expect some level of non-conformance because I'm a reasonable human being. I like to take everything apart to see how it works. And since I was at my work bench I just went at it. I can say this helped with the action immensely. However, making sure that it is parallel with the lever on the primer pocket is extremely important. Like somebody mentioned, you might have to take the washer off. Some people have suggested using a shim. The white plastic rails spreading is also something to keep an eye out on. Just push them back together or use a little tape. I have the washer sitting on top of the white mounting piece that the arm swings on.

"I thought the company name was Lee "Precision". It doesn't sound very precision to me, and that is what I have noticed with every Lee product I have had the misfortune to use."

That's really unfortunate that you've had a bad time with these products. But I think it just happens to be the case from time to time with volume produced goods at this price point. I mean it's an automatic primer dispenser that costs $25. The press itself is only $100 and from what I can tell works really well when you pay attention to setup. Mine is smooth and indexes very nicely. I'm glad you are enjoying RCBS products. They have well deserved reputation for quality.

I can report that the auto disk power drop is giving me very consistent drops. That design at least seems extremely robust.

Last edited by PNWPewPewPew; June 9, 2017 at 01:40 AM.