The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 11, 2009, 02:15 AM   #1
burger and fries

mossberg 590

hey everyone,

i'm a new member and this is my first post. i'm interested in purchasing a mossberg 590 with ghost ring sights. i've seen the bead sighted guns with a heat shield attached. i'm wondering if it's possible to install a heat shield onto the ghost ring sighted model? the heat shield is available at mossberg's website and doesn't mention anything about what models the heat shield will fit so i assume they're universal but i'm not really sure. any help would be appreciated.

also, i live in california and i'm trying to find out the average cost of this particular model: 590 special purpose 9-shot with solid stock and black matte finish. practically all the gun stores around my area will not give quotes over the phone. it will save my a lot of gas and time if some of you guys out there could tell me how much you paid for yours.

thanks,
bnf
Old August 11, 2009, 02:39 AM   #2
.351winchester

I don't believe you can have both. The end of the sheild will not clear the front sight and base. Mossy do or did offer the GR kit for installation, perhaps the front blade could be put on a barrel with the sheild already on? I've never seen both, once. There is one junk solution without cobbling (or with?), the ATI heatsheild/GR unit. For Gods sake don't go these routes.

Look at it this way. The 590SP is a modernistic trench gun. Without putting a bayonet and (plastic) buttstock to work, this feature has no purpose really. No pumpgun barrel will ever glow red. I say go with the GR,A1 version, as I believe some Military forces have, or did. But...If you want ghost rings, get the 590 SPX. The 500, 590, and 930 SPX models come with superior LPA GR's, far better than their standard version, as well as a pic rail up top. Put it this way, Mossberg in-house ghost rings turned me off on the idea. Their LPA setup turned me back on to them. The Marinecote version is a good value for better corrosion resistance if you live on the coast, looks cool and flashy too...and you can get a matching heat sheild too; not sure of all the available sighting options though.

If this is for straight up HD, never leaves the house, dedicated hall sweeper, personally have found the bead front the best choice (for me). Fast, KISS, adequate at indoor range

Welcome to the forum, BTW, lots of knowledgeable people here, and good choice for a shotgun. Just had to sell mine, wish I wouldn't have.

Last edited by .351winchester; August 11, 2009 at 02:47 AM.
Old August 11, 2009, 03:10 AM   #3
burger and fries

.351winchester,

thanks for your reply. the only reason why i wanted the heat shield was for asthetics. it's fairly inexpensive on the mossberg website. i'm going to use the shotgun mainly for recreational purposes (target shooting, etc.) so i wanted ghost ring sights for better sight alignment and sight picture for shooting slugs at distance.

i'm a former marine and have used 500's extensively then we switched to the m4 (benelli). personally i prefered the pump. the m4 was really heavy and a little complicated to take down and clean. i did like the m4 a lot, it's a great weapon but the weight and simplicity of the 500 made me a fan. i really like the tactical look of the 590 i mentioned earlier. i figure that one pump gun is good as any other.

thanks for the info,
bnf

Last edited by burger and fries; August 11, 2009 at 03:17 AM.
Old August 11, 2009, 08:34 AM   #4
lmccrock

The heat shield is nice if you take a class or shoot matches where you might fire off 2 dozen rounds as fast as you can shoot, shuck, and load. It ain't red hot, but the barrel burns skin long before that. Of course, a glove on your shucking hand will prevent the burn.

The M4 must be pretty heavy; my fully loaded 590 is hefty. Add a full sidesaddle, and you have a load.

Lee
Old September 1, 2009, 06:02 AM   #5
Hank15

I am not sure if you've bought the gun yet, but I saw this:

http://big5sportinggoods.shoplocal.c...id=-2089168761

It's in the 91748 area (Rowland Heights).

Many Big 5s carry them in California, just browse their weekly ads once in a while.
Old September 3, 2009, 03:57 AM   #6
porrpk

590 in cali

you can get a mossy 590 anywhere from 350-425 in san diego county right now, as another poster linked to, BIG 5 has them.

as for the ghost rings, you can either buy the kit (which will require either some gunsmithing or glue) or you can buy a 590 that already has them attached (which will add about 50-75 to the price)

you can shop for an a1 version, but really, the regular 590 should serve you fine. the a1 has a better barrell and metal trigger guard and safety.

where in cali do you live? pawn shops are popular for finding 590s as well...