The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 10, 2015, 05:33 PM   #1
bedbugbilly

SlixShot nipples - '51 Navy having problems - anyone use them?

I haven't shot my BP revolvers in a while as I've been concentrating on BP cartridge. Long story short . . . I had my Uberti '51 Navy out the other day and began to have some problems with failure to fires - it was time to change my nipples and I've just been putting it off.

I had a set of SlixShot nipples - labeled to fit a Uberti. I've had them sitting in my parts box for probably 5 or 6 yeas. I switched them out - no problems - fit perfectly in the cylinder. BUT . . . the label states for use with #10 caps. I have my BP revolvers all set up for #10. Right away, I noticed that the #10 CCI caps I was using were not seating on the nipples. When pushed on tight, they barely had enough clearance with the recoil shield so that the cylinder would rotate. OK. I'e been shooting BP revolvers for 50 years - so I used a small piece of wood to try and seat them further on the nipple - no real success. So . . . pointing downrange, I gently lowered the hammer and gave a gentle push on each nipple to seat the cap. BUT, every cap refused to go bang. Started through the cycle again and some wold go off after another hammer strike and those that didn't, went off on the third.

First reply might be . . "Are you sure your caps are good?". Yes they are. I had my Remington Navy with me as well - used the same caps out of the same tin and all fired just fine on the first hammer fall.

I had #11 CCI caps so tried the fit on them - too loose. They'd seat fully on the nipple like a cap should but not tight enough to say on. Yea, I know . . "pinch "em". But, I don't like doing that . . a cap should fit and fit well.

Anyone else experience this with SlixShot nipples? To me . . mine are not sized correctly for a #10 or #11 cap - they are somewhere "in between". I really don't want to chuck them in a drill press and polish them down - they ought to be right without doing that. I switched back to the previous set o nipples I had in the cylinder. I looked in Track of the wolf and they show two different sets for a Uberti Navy. I'm old and I'm still living in the days when you could buy nipples for a buck each. Obviously, those days are gone. And I really hate to sink the money in a set from Track (or other) without knowing if they will be the correct size for a #10 or #11 from the "get go". And Track states theirs are for #11 caps - not a biggie as I have both sizes as I use #11 on my rifles.

What say ye? Anyone else experienced this with the SlixShot nipples? Any recommendations for a supplier that has nipples that will be sized correctly?
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old October 10, 2015, 05:59 PM   #2
Bishop Creek

I have a set of SlixShot nipples on my Walker and they work perfectly with #10 Remington caps. It seems that I read a while back that the early SlixShot Uberti nipples (which you may have) were too long and that they redesigned them. If Fingers McGee chimes in, he can clarify that.
Old October 10, 2015, 06:56 PM   #3
Fingers McGee

Quote:
I have a set of SlixShot nipples on my Walker and they work perfectly with #10 Remington caps. It seems that I read a while back that the early SlixShot Uberti nipples (which you may have) were too long and that they redesigned them. If Fingers McGee chimes in, he can clarify that.
Original Slix Shots for Ubertis were too long. Had numerous failures to fire with a variety of caps. Subsequent stocks work just peachy with #10 Remington caps. They also work well with #11 Remingtons and RWS 1075s; but IMNSHO #10 Remingtons work the best. I've never had a pleasant experience with CCI 10s

YMMV
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old October 10, 2015, 07:53 PM   #4
BlackPowderBen

I get a lot of misfires with my '51 navy, I don't have slix shot nipples, I probably need them as I get cap sucking. Mike Belvieu has videos on slix shots though, check them out. you can also fill in the the notch in the hammer with JB Weld, Mike also has videos on that, here's the links:
Enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hns_tEWBFD0

this video is about filling the hammer notch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfTGjm3IDYw
Old October 10, 2015, 07:58 PM   #5
bedbugbilly

Thanks fellas - I think you have given me the answer as to what is wrong. Thinking back on it, I think I bought these on this site in the want to sell section. Probably longer ago that what I think as time flies by and who knows how long he had them for?

Years and years ago . . all I used were Remingtons as that was all I could get . . . but then they were twenty five cents a tine too so that gives you an idea how long ago it was! I have a few tins of some German caps - #11 that I really liked for my rifles. I always got them down at Friendship. When things wee in short supply, I ran across a couple of 1K cases of CCI #10 caps so I snatched them up - thus I'm still working on them. I've never had an issue with the CCI caps - until this problem came along. They fit and work very well on my Remington Navy and I seem to get fewer fragmented caps or fragment problems with them than I used to with the Remingtons. I think a lot o fit goes to what the gun "likes" the best sometimes. Sort of like pistol and rifle primers. Some folks have their "favorite" - some don't like CCI primers but I've never had an issue with them in any of my reloading - pistol or rifle. But again, it sometimes goes to what is available. They work for me so I stick with them but recently I've had to go with Winchester just because that's what was on the shelf. I truly long for the "days of old" when you could go in and there was an abundant supply and numerous choices.

Thanks again for the information - time to break open the piggy bank and buy a new set of nipples!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old October 10, 2015, 10:02 PM   #6
foolzrushn

bbb

Do you still have the packaging for the Slix Shots? If they know that the early nipples were sized wrong and changed the size for a better fit, maybe they would exchange the nipples for you. Worth a shot. Call their customer service and give it a try. Nothing to lose.

certified 'soap welder'
Old October 10, 2015, 10:32 PM   #7
Model12Win

The Slix Shot nipples I bought for my Cimarron '51 Navy did nothing to solve the cap jam issues I was having with my pistol.

I had a cap post installed, and that helped problems a lot, but I still sometimes have a cap jam up the action by flying off the nipples and getting wedged between the frame and rear of cylinder. I always use Remington #10s, which fit on nice and snug.

I think the mainspring on my gun is just too weak. Cocking the hammer requires almost no effort at all, which seems nice but I don't think the hammer is getting blown back during firing, causing the spent cap to come off and cause a jam.
Old October 10, 2015, 11:26 PM   #8
tatartot

Remington caps seem to always fit lose. I use #11 caps on everything.
I just pinch then down some. #11 caps are easy to find here & it
makes life simply that way for me.
Old October 11, 2015, 09:56 AM   #9
44 Dave

I had an issue with these nipples for an older Uberti. The only fix for me was to use a safe sided file and chuck the nipples up then "adjust" them.
This old gun had other problems but with the too long nipples my first clue was a "chain fire" from the too long nipple hitting the recoil shield, fortunately only the 11 o'clock one would hit. It took me 3 cylinders to narrow this down.
Old October 11, 2015, 11:49 AM   #10
Doc Hoy

BBB....

Not sure of the geomtry involved but......

If you can't or don't want to get the nipples replaced, you have the following situation.

Nipples too long. Not a good fit of Nr10 caps and too little for Nr 11s.

Would it be possible to take some off of the end of each nipple so that the length is more in line with what it should be, and then since the tip of the nipple will be larger by the amount of taper, you might get a petter cap fit with nr 11s.

I am like you. I like caps to fit correctly without pinching. I am about 90% certain that my only chainfire event was the result of pinching caps.

I replaced the nipples on my Walker but they work fine. Problem there is that it came from the manufacturer with different sized nipples on half of the chambers. Would not consistently discharge.
Old October 11, 2015, 03:45 PM   #11
Bishop Creek

Quote:
DOC HOY: I replaced the nipples on my Walker but they work fine. Problem there is that it came from the manufacturer with different sized nipples on half of the chambers. Would not consistently discharge.
Exactly why I replaced the nipples on my Walker.