The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 6, 2015, 12:57 AM   #1
foolzrushn

Making a wooden Colt grip

One of my Colt 1851 Piettas has a grip made to simulate ivory. Unfortunately, the white Italian plastic ( which may be 30 years old ), is not only soft, but cracking. That would seem to be a contradiction, however it is true.

The grip is almost, if not, soft enough to be gouged with a thumbnail. It is easily scratched and then the scratches attract dirt and whatnot, and are very visible. On the inside of the grip in one of the machined corners, the plastic has begun to split apart. I imagine that both the scratching and cracking are due to the plastic drying out from age and losing it's polymers. I would be interested to know what others have done, or suggest, to fix a cracked grip.

This old plastic grip has me thinking about making a replacement Colt wooden grip. It would be more difficult than making Remington grips. I don't have a wood shop and would need to improvise. I thought perhaps to make it in three pieces and then fasten them together in lieu of a one-piece grip.

I did find an interesting link about making Walnut stocks and forestocks for long guns. I have been interested in how the angle of the wood cut affects the appearance of the finished stock or grip, and there is some interesting information about how to cut the wood.

http://www.forestryforum.com/board/i...?topic=66491.0

Any comments for a fix, or about making a grip, are solicited.
Thanks, frn

certified 'soap welder'

Last edited by foolzrushn; October 6, 2015 at 07:36 AM.
Old October 6, 2015, 07:10 PM   #2
Doc Hoy

FRN

Using the three piece method I think you are on the right track.

You might find it is easier than you might think.
Old October 6, 2015, 07:29 PM   #3
gyvel

Blanks (one piece) are readily available and are generally a lot less hassle than trying to make your own. They are already inletted for the grip frame and mainspring.

I've got a bunch of blanks left over from the estate of a late friend of mine. PM me if you're interested.

All you do to fit them is (like Michelangelo) remove all the wood that doesn't look like a grip. LOL

I've also used the three piece method for making grips as Doc Hoy suggested. The only trick there is that the center piece has to clear the mainspring, and needs to follow the contour of the backstrap.
SIFE
Old October 7, 2015, 09:48 AM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

If you want the "one piece" look, I would go with one piece. If you go with two pieces, then use a screw and escutcheons. Both are easy, the main problem being to fit the wood to the metal without marring the metal. Use of masking and/or cellophane tape will help a lot. (The factories install the grips on the gun, then sand the metal and wood down together to get a perfect fit; that can't be done on a complete gun unless you want to refinish the grip frame.)

Jim
Old October 7, 2015, 04:17 PM   #5
foolzrushn

thanks for the replies

I know that fitting is a slow process. I'm just trying to decide if I also want to try for some attractive grain in the process. For all the effort fitting to the frame, it would be nice to end with something nice.

certified 'soap welder'
Old October 7, 2015, 04:36 PM   #6
Doc Hoy

If you are doing three pieces...

The index is the 90 degree angle of the frame.

I agree with the right honorable James K.

Care must be taken to avoid messing up the frame.
Old October 7, 2015, 04:43 PM   #7
foolzrushn

Dixie blanks

Has anyone tried the blanks from Dixie? I don't think I've seen a one-piece grip blank anywhere else (except for gyvel). I just want to be sure that there is more wood than I need.

certified 'soap welder'
Old October 8, 2015, 09:41 AM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

If you make your own, put packaging tape on the metal frame. Then a layer of painter's tape. This serves as a safety to prevent you from sanding intot he metal.
Old October 8, 2015, 12:29 PM   #9
tatartot

People as you amaze my. There is so much talent out there, no wonder
this is the greatest country on earth.

Tags
colt grip , making grip , plastic , stock