The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 12, 2022, 05:22 PM   #1
4V50 Gary
Staff

Book on Indiana Gunmakers

Back in Nov., 2021 I ordered Jeffrey J. Jaeger's hardback smyth-sewn (for longevity) Indiana Gunmakers and Their Muzzle-Loading Longrifles 1778-1900. In late December I was wondering where it was and emailed him with an inquiry regarding my order. He checked his records and stated that he had trouble with the mail and that he never received my check. Then in January the check show up -- back in my mailbox. Good old USPS couldn't deliver it but at least they sent it back. Not Jaeger's fault at all. So, off it went to him again and lo! This time he recieved it. Thank you Hay-Suess for the minor miracle. Today the book arrived and it was in a box that fitted it perfectly and to protect it during shipment it had four cardboard corners with each one protecting a corner to protect it against "bumping."

I figured it would be like a James Whisker book with information on the gunmaker and some images of rifles/arms created by them. While it fits the genre, its substantially larger and is just shy of 300 pages. The book is arranged alphabetically and gives whatever information Mr. Jaeger found on the person.

Besides drawing from published books, he drew from newsletters, newspaper and magazine articles. He also delved into city/county records, gazettes, marriage and cemetary records, obituaries, geneology records, military records, court documents and patents besides other things to ferret out obscure of forgotten information on individuals. What a magnificient job he has done and future researchers should pattern their efforts after Jaeger's.

Additionally, he has various county maps that show how Indiana changed over the years with emergence of new counties or the division of others. Besides an index, he also has the gunsmiths listed by their county too.

Where possible, he includes images of the arms made by them and his photographic skill (lighting, focus) makes the object leap off the page. With Indiana Gunsmiths Jaeger has proven his ability as a researcher, photographer and a writer of note. I hope he undertakes studying gunmakers other states and gives them similar treatment.

It's not cheap, but for what you're getting, it's worth every penny. I am truly impressed by this work and think it will make a great addition to your black powder library. Mr. Jaeger was kind enough to autograph my copy and now I have to get a library style mylar cover to protect the dustjacket.

Jeff Jaeger may be reached at: www.IndianaGunmakers.com

Disclaimer: I have no pecuniary interest in the book and received no compenstation for posting this.