The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 2, 2013, 05:08 PM   #1
Famas

Trouble shipping a BP musket

Hello -

I recently made a purchase of a replica flintlock musket from an individual in Virginia. I live in Indiana. The seller has informed me that his MBE guy (what does MBE stand for?) will not ship this musket from Virginia to Indiana without an FFL. This is the first time I've heard of this. It is my understanding that in recent years there have been some changes made to BP laws from state to state. Is it the carrier that is causing the hold up? (USPS, FedEx, etc?) As far as I know, there are no such restrictions in Indiana...is it more restrictive in VA? I've looked on the NRA-ILA site concerning state laws, but nothing specific concerning a black powder musket.

Anyway, the person I work for is an FFL holder, but he is also confused by this FFL requirement for shipping a flintlock. As of now, the transfer is being held up on this technicality. Can anyone help with advice or thoughts?

Thank you.
Old March 2, 2013, 06:48 PM   #2
sigcurious

MBE is probably mailboxes etc, they're PO Box, mailing/shipping store. Stores like that often have policies more restrictive than the law. If there are no state laws that are an issue, the UPS or Fedex hub should ship it for him.
Old March 2, 2013, 07:31 PM   #3
Willie Sutton

MANY threads on this in the black powder forum... search there for the answers. Plus the gang that hangs around there is likely the friendliest bunch in the forums.

Willie

Old March 2, 2013, 08:26 PM   #4
Pahoo

Oh yes

I have encountered the same when I won an M/L from a pawn shop, on GB. I questioned the seller about it and he told me that his legal guy requires this for all buyers even though it's just an M/L. Often times, you will see a seller, make this requirement and won't budge. ....

Now the FFL on your end, gets interesting as he may not know what to do with it as no FFL transfer is required, he doesn't log it in and all he does, is call you when it comes in. Mine is still scratching his head over this. It might have something to do with felons buying "any" firearms. ...

In my case, I have had M/L's shipped directly to my front door, from the manufacturers. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old March 2, 2013, 09:52 PM   #5
Famas

Ok, thanks to all for the tips. As recommended, I am reposting my question to the BP section. Thank you!
Old March 2, 2013, 10:31 PM   #6
Tom Servo
Staff

Well, I was going to jump in, but you guys did great in responding.

(Now don't get all cocky about it )

No FFL is required, and the shipping agency is mistaken. This is very common with UPS stores and other shopping-center fronts. In some cases, they have policies preventing the shipping of anything related to firearms. In many of those cases, they've been told it's "the law."

I have customers bring me scopes and holsters because the UPS place around the corner refuses to ship them. Do I do anything special? Nope. My UPS guy picks it up with all the other miscellany I send out.