The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 1, 2020, 07:27 PM   #1
Swifty Morgan

Good Cheap .50 AE Jacketed Bullets?

I started looking for .50 AE bullets, and it looks like a lot of them run close to 80 cents each. For that price, I might as well buy ammunition instead.

Are there sources I haven't found yet? I want jacketed bullets, not solid lead.
Old March 1, 2020, 08:49 PM   #2
Schlitz 45

I’ve been using Berry’s for my 357, 45ACP, & 45 Colt with great results & I would expect the same from their .50 bullets-just keep them under 2,000 FPS. They have two & they run around 28 cents a piece + shipping.
https://www.berrysmfg.com/product/bp...l-500-350gr-rs
Old March 2, 2020, 11:47 AM   #3
Swifty Morgan

Thanks. I may try them.
Old March 2, 2020, 01:06 PM   #4
TruthTellers

Yeah, I think Berry's is about the only option. I was thinking if I ever got a Glock .45 on the cheap and did a .50 GI conversion, I would use their bullets.

It's nice that Berry's makes an affordable .50 caliber pistol bullet, if only they could offer more for .32 caliber revolvers, maybe even some a .308 diameter too so people could have cheaper bullet options if they were loading for 7.62x25 Tok or .32 French Long or if they wanted to play around with some reduced power small game loads for .30 caliber rifles.
Old March 2, 2020, 01:29 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

I would not recommend using plated bullets in a Desert Eagle.

I don't think the manufacturer would, either, but check with them to be sure.

I once saw a .44 DE turned into a single shot because the owner "knew better" and shot cast bullets. When his gun stopped being a repeater, he couldn't fix it. The gunsmith couldn't fix it, and the gun went back to the maker. They "fixed" it by replacing the barrel assembly, and returned the gun with a bill for that repair. (the cost of the new barrel assembly).

Plated might be the right thing for a revolver but I won't run them in my Desert Eagles.

your call.
Old March 2, 2020, 01:53 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

Good, cheap and .50 AE generally do not go together. Well, 'cheap and .50 AE' anyway.
You have to look at the number per box too. Usually not 100 due to the size of 'em.
Midway lists 300 grain, polymer flexible tip boat tail, 'factory seconds'(that is not a horrible thing. Means there is a cosmetic flaw. Used Speer, 90 grain, FMJ, .243 second for eons. No fuss. No accuracy issues.) with no mention of what factory, at $24.49 per 50. Same price for 50 HP's, also 'seconds'. Both are a "One time offer" thing though.
50 Hornady 300 grain FTX run $35.99. $31.99 at Graf's.
Old March 2, 2020, 04:27 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

In theory, there's no reason for them to be more expensive than same-weight bullets for the 45-70 are, but in practice, the market for 50 AE just isn't large enough for prices to be really competitive.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 3, 2020, 02:44 PM   #8
Road_Clam

.50 AE is pricey no matter how you slice it. When i was researching a Desert Eagle purchase i did all the math, read all the opinions , and when the dust settled i chose a DE in 44 mag. where i already owned a S&W 460 mag the 50 AE made no real practical sense. I shot a gun club buddies .50 AE DE and honestly it only felt slightly more stout of a shooter than my .44 however handloading the .50 was quite a bit more than 44, mainly due to the more obscure .50 brass.
Old March 3, 2020, 02:49 PM   #9
Swifty Morgan

I already knew .50 AE made no sense. That's why I bought it!
Old March 4, 2020, 12:41 AM   #10
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
I would not recommend using plated bullets in a Desert Eagle.

I don't think the manufacturer would, either, but check with them to be sure.

I once saw a .44 DE turned into a single shot because the owner "knew better" and shot cast bullets. When his gun stopped being a repeater, he couldn't fix it. The gunsmith couldn't fix it, and the gun went back to the maker. They "fixed" it by replacing the barrel assembly, and returned the gun with a bill for that repair. (the cost of the new barrel assembly).

Plated might be the right thing for a revolver but I won't run them in my Desert Eagles.

your call.
Berry's specifically states on the page for their .50 caliber bullets the cartridge OAL and velocity for .50 AE and .500 S&W Magnum, thus they're making these specifically for hi pressure, hi velocity handguns.
Old March 4, 2020, 08:39 AM   #11
ATCDoktor

I have fired many hundreds of Berrys plated Bullets through my DE chambered in 50AE.

I have never had any issues with them.

Pictured here with 10” barrel and bipod attached:

50 yard group fired with Berry’s 350 grain bullet and near max charge of H110: