The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 27, 2011, 10:38 PM   #1
achilles00775

Becoming a Palma Competitor

Hi all!

I've signed up and got my very first firearms NRA class coming in August. Cant wait!

After exploring my options, I have firmly decided on wanting to compete in Long Yard Rifle Shooting. Palma Shooting to be specific-- which requires a .308 rifle. I want to be able to compete preferably in 2-3 years .

Anyway... my questions to the TFL community.:
1.) Am I biting off more than I can chew? Is this goal a bit impossible?

2.) After taking my first course, and buying the .22LR, should I buy the .308 rifle along with it?
Or instead of blowing the money on a .308, just spend it in customizing the .22 lr to enter into the Mini-Palma matches shooting at ranges of 200 yds?

I was told that doing this would closely mimick the wind-reading skills and marksmanship ability of that of Palma shooting at 1000 yards, with the benefit of the .22 lr ammo being significantly cheaper.

Reaching my goal certainly is the motivator, but cost certainly is the limiting factor. budget is currently only at $700 USD.

Thanks any and everyone for your help.
Old July 27, 2011, 10:46 PM   #2
achilles00775

Not to mention.

I imagine a 200 yd range would be a heck of a lot easier finding than a 800+ yd range.
Old July 28, 2011, 12:21 AM   #3
Ideal Tool

Hello, achilles00775. Good luck in the NRA class..sounds like fun. I too am interested in long-range rifle..but a bit differen't..I have always been facinated by the long-range matches of the 1870's held at Creedmoor, Wimbledon, & Bisley. Shooting a regulation 10lb. match rifle chambered for the .44-77 or .44-90 must have been tough! Like you, I realized these extended ranges are far and few. I have an original Remington rolling block .40-70 str. (2 1/2") 32" 1/2 oct. with British proofs, that I would like to try in some mid-range matches (600yds.). There is a 600yd. private club range about 50mi from me, that said I could practice on with the high-power guys..I might take them up on that..when I get my loads worked up. But for everyday shooting, it's hard to beat a good accurate .22 L.R. I found some on-line Mini-Palma reduced for 100yd. targets. I have a 1930's era customized prone-match rifle, that I am practicing with. That prone position isn't as easy at it looks! Plus with the heat lately, all buttoned up in a padded sweatshirt and shooting coat doesn't make it any easier!
Just for grins..I scaled down one of the original 1000yd. Creedmoor targets of the 1870's..for shooting at 100yds. That 3.6" bull looks like a pencil dot down range! But I managed to put a few in there! Lots of luck, and keep in touch!
Old July 28, 2011, 02:56 PM   #4
Sleuth

The goal of shooting on your country's Palma team is worthwhile, and may be attainable depending on your skill level.

I suggest you stick with the .22 to learn and refine your skills and equipment until you define if Palma shooting remains your goal. Put your time, effort, and money into smallbore until you confirm your interests. Then, go for it!
Old July 29, 2011, 10:26 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

"...which requires a .308 rifle..." Hi. Typical Palma rifles are heavy barreled, single shot, .308's, weighing around 14 pounds and use iron sights only and 155 grain bullets. American Palma rules are different than International Palma rules though. .223's, while not competitive, are allowed under American rules.
Have a look here. There's a link to the International rules. http://www.6mmbr.com/palmabasics.html
Have a look here too. http://www.palma.org/
Impossible, no, but not for $700. Plenty for a really good .22 target rifle(Savage), but not for a .308. However, there's some kind of competitive shooting for everybody and every budget.
Remember, Palma shooting is a goal. And a dandy one at that. Ask about NRA full bore shooting when you're on your course. Ask about 'F' Class too.
Competitive shooting, of any kind, is great fun and you'll meet some great people. Most of whom will bend over backwards to help a new shooter, including letting you shoot their rifles. Opens a lot of other doors too.
The most important thing is not to worry about 'placing' in any match. You won't when you're new. Go shoot 'em anyway.
"...have always been fascinated by..." Look into BP Cartridge rifle shooting. I believe the NRA does that too. This might be of some use too.
http://www.bpcr.net/index-a.htm
Old July 29, 2011, 10:35 PM   #6
Sleuth

"T" makes an excellent point. Once you become proficient with your .22, and learn the customs and courtacies of the rifle competiton sport, go to a Palma Match. If you are polite, and display some basic knowledge, there is a high likelyhood someone will help you get started.
Old August 1, 2011, 01:36 AM   #7
T. O'Heir

"...high likelihood someone will help you get started..." Hi. Most shooters will go out of their way to help a new shooter. No matter what your skill level. Shooters are just like that. Polite and a willingness to learn does make a difference though. Rectal orifi don't get help.