The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Closed Thread

Old July 2, 2018, 09:24 PM   #51
HWS

Are all those millions of people who owe ARs wrong? I understand if you want an AK or Mini 14 or 30 instead, but those people who have purchased an AR have done so for real reasons. Each probably has slightly different reasons but weighing the facts, they chose an AR. If they had chosen an AK, for instance, that is fine with me also. People know what they are doing.
Old July 3, 2018, 05:55 AM   #52
Kirosha

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWS View Post
Are all those millions of people who owe ARs wrong? I understand if you want an AK or Mini 14 or 30 instead, but those people who have purchased an AR have done so for real reasons. Each probably has slightly different reasons but weighing the facts, they chose an AR. If they had chosen an AK, for instance, that is fine with me also. People know what they are doing.
Finding an AR boring as a personal issue. Don't believe he ever stated that others were wrong to enjoy it.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."
Old July 3, 2018, 06:47 AM   #53
HiBC

With respect,I usually do not have sympathy for someone who complains of being bored.
Take the initiative to do something else.

I'm not suggesting you have to like the AR,do as you please.

Many of us want something other than a box stock production gun.

Building bolt sporting rifles out of milsurps is no longer very practical.

I don't buy an AR. I envision what I want.I buy a barrel.A forend. A trigger,etc. I always get function.I always get at least OK sub 2 MOA accuracy.(As I would expect from a bolt gun) I usually get considerably better accuracy.

I don't have to search for proper walnut. I don't have to do meticulous file and chisel work,etc,etc.

But,to each his own.

I would not go to the shotgun section and complain about Model12 Winchesters. Some folks really like Model 12's. If nothing else,I can smile and say "Nice shotgun". And,they are. I feel no need to say " Nice shotgun,but boring"
No need for that
Old July 3, 2018, 07:31 AM   #54
kymasabe

I like the fact that I can modify it to fit me: different grips, different stocks, etc. First AR was complete gun that I gradually changed darn near everything on to make "mine". Now I just buy stripped uppers and lowers and build what I want. Honestly, I enjoy the build and the hunt for the perfect part as much as shooting them, some times more.
Old July 3, 2018, 08:23 AM   #55
Charlie98

Quote:
I do however own an AK101 (AK chambered in 5.56) and must say, it brings a smile to my face every time I shoot it.
Does it fold your brass in half at ejection? Buddy of mine had one of those... the ejecting brass hit the bolt handle so hard, it put a 30^ bend in the brass!

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old July 3, 2018, 08:57 AM   #56
Skans

Quote:
Anyone else feel the same way? Am I the only AR-loathing Luddite left on this board?
No, you are not alone. I am pretty bored with AR's as well. Still, everyone should own at least 3. Why? Because they are the only rifles that accept drop-in binary trigger systems.

Quote:
If i have an extra $1500 laying around, it probably wont be spent on an AR.
I'd put it toward a K&M 308 Bullpup. And, that's what I've done. They are on back-order, however and I've been waiting for mine for almost 16 weeks - the outside time they say it will be delivered to you! Waiting.........
Old July 3, 2018, 11:10 AM   #57
Blade37db

Not a fan either......but I have 2.

I enjoy bolt actions more and hate cleaning the little "nooks & crannies" of the AR.

However - I appreciate that it is versatile, modular and has tons of aftermarket support. It doesn't beat you up in its base caliber allowing for extended range time. The ability to carry a ton of "just good enough" ammo if the SHTF is a plus too.

Don't love it but appreciate what it can do so I have them. Every time I think about getting rid of them, I realize there may come a day when I may never be able to buy one again, so I keep them.
Old July 3, 2018, 01:52 PM   #58
COSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTT TL View Post
You could by three for that much. And hit gongs at 300 yards instead.
Hitting a 24" gong at 200yds with any rifle should be a snap. Heck, I'd give it a go with one without any sights!! Fact is, I can hit a 18" gong at 200yds with my custom iron sighted, longlide 10mm Glock pistol every time unless I screw up.

As to my Mini, as I said, I shoot a bowling pins (and clay pigeons as well) at 200yds and hitting them with it is pretty straight forward. The challenge is hitting them at 300yds and it's not because my Mini isn't accurate enough, it's because at that distance the target is pretty small for my 70yr old eyes!!
Old July 3, 2018, 02:17 PM   #59
COSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirosha View Post
I admit my only issue with the Mini 14 was that it couldn't fire 5.56. Mid 80s Mini.
Actually, they all can shoot 5.56 even though the old ones are marked .223 and the new ones are marked 5.56, they all have the same chamber except for the Target model. All Ruger's .223 chambered Minis, except the target model, have a longer lead than the SAAMI spec .223 chamber so they are patterned suspiciously like the .223 Wylde chamber which was specifically developed so one could shoot 5.56 level loads more accurately.
Old July 3, 2018, 02:40 PM   #60
Kirosha

Good to know, Steve. Thank you for the information. I rarely shoot the Mini these days. The wife found that she liked it and you know that song and dance, I'm sure

I'm hoping she likes the new AR I got more than the Mini so I can safe queen it. GB model.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."
Old July 3, 2018, 02:43 PM   #61
stagpanther

Quote:
I can hit a 18" gong at 200yds with my custom iron sighted, longlide 10mm Glock pistol every time unless I screw up.
You are a stud among studs! I'm very happy if I can get every shot into a 10" plate at 50 yds with my 20SF!
Old July 3, 2018, 03:22 PM   #62
Americanpatriot

I say get whatever platform works for you. If your not interested in an AR, then check out other rifles.
Old July 3, 2018, 03:32 PM   #63
stagpanther

Quote:
They strike me as the most conformist, boring, uninteresting rifles ever, and I don't know why.
Because maybe you haven't shot one or owned one?
Old July 3, 2018, 03:39 PM   #64
ttarp

Quote:
Why? Because they are the only rifles that accept drop-in binary trigger systems.
Eh? If you don't like Hk designs I suppose thats accurate enough for now, but the drop in binary trigger for the Hk 9X series works quite well, works good with a G3 .22 conversion kit too.

It seems a bit counter intuitive to say the AR is boring since it has the largest aftermarket of any other firearm and with enough money can be configured to fit into most any role, but they don't really do anything for me either. Certain features of the design I just don't care for, but I do recognize its merit.

Quote:
I would not go to the shotgun section and complain about Model12 Winchesters. Some folks really like Model 12's. If nothing else,I can smile and say "Nice shotgun". And,they are. I feel no need to say " Nice shotgun,but boring"
No need for that
Whens the last time you saw a thread about a Mini14 that wasn't completely derailed and swamped by AR boys who did just that? At least the op didn't barge into an unrelated thread to voice his lack of interest, ymmv as they say.
Old July 3, 2018, 05:33 PM   #65
dgludwig

[QUOTE]Quote:
Originally Posted by dgludwig View Post
What am I missing here?

Quote:
"I'm unsure.

Rifles marked for .223 can't shoot 5.56. Rifles marked 5.56 can shoot both.

Older Mini 14s are .223 only. I think they moved to 5.56 in the early 2000s when they changed to a heavier barrel to remedy the accuracy issues when the barrel gets hot from extended/rapid fire..."
I bought my Mini-14 new in 1985. Though it is marked .223 on the receiver, the manual the carbine came with stated that the gun is chambered for ".223 (5.56)". Hope this helps clear up the question.
Old July 4, 2018, 06:20 AM   #66
Dragon breath

I don’t own a AR, and probably never will. I have shot several of them, but I just do not like them. I can’t tell you exactly what the problem is, but they just don’t feel right too me. I much prefer the AK pattern over the AR.
Old July 4, 2018, 06:26 AM   #67
jetinteriorguy

I bought my MAC90 back in the early 90's and liked it so much I never saw the need for an AR. I also had a Mini14 and a Mini30 a little later and felt that covered all the bases for me. Fast forward to 2013 and in the political climate figured I should probably get an AR while I still can. Wow, fell in love with just how good it works and what a blast it is to shoot. I found out what I had been missing. I now have three, a 5.56 carbine, a .223 Wylde with an 18" barrel for a little longer range fun, and a 7.62x39 just because I love this cartridge. The Mini's have been gone for over 15 years but the good old MAC90 will stay forever and the AR's will stay as well.
Old July 4, 2018, 07:00 AM   #68
stagpanther

I'll tell you why I love em: I can build mine pretty much customized the way I want them. They are brain-dead easy to build and maintain. If there is something wrong with the functionality--I don't have to go any further than the bathroom mirror to track down the customer service needed for repairs. I can almost always get them to shoot very very well. With the right hand-load I can usually get performance down to match my bolt guns. I still have more fun shooting a good lever-action traditional rifle with iron sights--but for pure performance, modularity, ease of maintenance and versatility; NOTHING compares to the AR15/M4 and all it's spawn. AK's are charming too--in a "Olga the tractor lady" sort of way. Rifle owners who aren't happy unless they are PMS-ing about this vs that--they just need to be out shooting more often.

Go ahead and hate them--nobody will care. Except your fellow haters.

Last edited by stagpanther; July 4, 2018 at 07:26 AM.
Old July 4, 2018, 01:38 PM   #69
WV_gunner

I want a 10mm with a wood stock.
Old July 4, 2018, 01:50 PM   #70
stagpanther

Quote:
I want a 10mm with a wood stock.
I built a blowback 10mm AR--my take-away is it's a flawed concept in a design that does not have a locking bolt and better feed from magazine.
Old July 4, 2018, 02:46 PM   #71
rifleman0311

I'm with you man.....but I still own a quality AR and waiting on my tax stamp....an sbr would be slightly less boring and almost as cool as a nice AK
Old July 4, 2018, 02:51 PM   #72
Jayhawkhuntclub

Quote:
If we compared the versatility of the bolt rifle to the "versatility" of the ar platform, You'd better have a sense of humor. You have the run of 500 yard varmints, 100 yard deer, or even fifty yard cape buffalo in three rifles, but that AR isn't great at anything but shooting people, steel, or paper.
The AR is actually as good/better at 500 yard varmints and 100 yard deer. There is no better deer gun than a good AR15 in the right cartridge with the right bullet. Maybe not cape buffalo. Although, I would think some of the 45 and 50 ARs could do the job (probably not a legal option in most places though). And you could actually put more than 1 or 2 hits on target vs a bolt gun. To say "the AR isn't great at anything but shooting people, steel or paper." is simply ignorant IMHO.
Old July 4, 2018, 03:38 PM   #73
Kirosha

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
I'll tell you why I love em: I can build mine pretty much customized the way I want them. They are brain-dead easy to build and maintain. If there is something wrong with the functionality--I don't have to go any further than the bathroom mirror to track down the customer service needed for repairs.
+1

Quote:
I can almost always get them to shoot very very well. With the right hand-load I can usually get performance down to match my bolt guns.
+1

Quote:
I still have more fun shooting a good lever-action traditional rifle with iron sights
+2

Quote:
but for pure performance, modularity, ease of maintenance and versatility; NOTHING compares to the AR15/M4 and all it's spawn.
+1

Quote:
AK's are charming too--in a "Olga the tractor lady" sort of way.
+ Olga the tractor lady love

Quote:
Rifle owners who aren't happy unless they are PMS-ing about this vs that--they just need to be out shooting more often.
+.357

Quote:
Go ahead and hate them--nobody will care. Except your fellow haters.
Hope it comes across as a joke, but it irritated me

Final thoughts, you scored +5.357 and -5.56...Olga really saved the entire post.

Old July 4, 2018, 06:21 PM   #74
imashooter

Excellent summary stagpanther.
Old July 4, 2018, 07:28 PM   #75
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Different strokes for different folks. Not all rifle shooters are hunters. Not all rifle shooters are paper punchers.

Some like blued steel and walnut. Some want stainless.

Some prefer iron sights. Some prefer optics.

Just because I don't care for some type of rifle doesn't mean I need to jack my jaws against it.

If a guy is happy with what he has, I see no reason to rain on his parade.

IOW, enough of this.
Closed Thread