The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 22, 2006, 12:57 PM   #1
OneInTheChamber

Component ?'s from a Noob

Hey guys, I ordered a MEC steelmaster press in 20 gauge last night and a lyman's reloading book from midwayusa.com.

As far as powder, primer, etc. goes I have a few questions

1. How many rounds will 11lb. of 7 1/2 shot make? (I calculated 201 rounds using 7/8 ounce of shot). Is that the way to do it? Cause at $30 for 11lb's (201) rounds doesn't sound to cheap when you add on the wads, primers, etc.

2. I have started to save my Remington gun club spent hulls. Are these any good? Or do I need to buy the Winchester AA's?

3. What is the difference between lead and steel shot? I'm just shooting clays if that helps. Will steel hurt my shotgun?

Thanks

Chase
Old January 22, 2006, 01:12 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Well, let's see, there are 16 ounces in a pound, 176 in 11 pounds. Divide 176 by .875 and get 201, you are right.

Who sells shot by the 11 lbs? All the birdshot I have ever bought was in 25 lb bags. $30 for 11 lbs is a lot, Gamaliel sells chilled (cheap, ok for skeet) shot for $17.75 a 25 lb bag. Surely a local store or skeet club will have it trucked in for not too much freight.

Remington Gun Club hulls are ok for a few loadings, the STS target shells will last longer. AAs went to a two-piece design and are not as well thought of as they used to be.

Use lead shot wherever allowed. Which is basically for everything except waterfowl most places. Some repressive jurisdictions are banning lead on claimed environmental grounds but really because they are anti gun.
Steel is more expensive and requires special wads to protect the barrel.
Old January 22, 2006, 06:51 PM   #3
Ruger4570

Maybe I misunderstood... if all you are shooting is Sporting Clays... why would you be shooting "steel shot??" I have never heard of a club that required steel for clay targets of any kind. Also in the event I misunderstood again, if you are shooting waterfowl.. why would you want to use a 7/8 oz load? The 20 will shoot a lot more and up your patterns and chances.