The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 27, 2014, 12:13 AM   #1
Inyaface13

My Ruger SR22 wont feed last round in magazine and..

I have had my Ruger SR22 for almost a year now putting maybe 300 rounds through it total..shooting only CCI (Mini mag, Stinger, Standard) and I am still new to guns..I have had very few hiccups considering I am new to this, but now I am at a roadblock. I was shooting some CCI Stingers through the SR22 the other day and it didn't want to load the last round in the magazine and the slide stayed open like the mag was empty. I let go of the slide release and it wedged the bullet into the barrel and bending the cartridge in the middle. So I tried it again having the same exact problem..then I came home put the gun up and didn't think much about it till now because I was hoping it was the Stingers causing it to hang up..I just loaded two separate magazines with CCI Mini Mags and its feeding at about 95%, it feels like it really doesn't want to pick up the bullet also shaving just a little off each bullet, but when I reach the last round..the slide stays open and it wont feed without wedging the bullet and bending it and I have tried taking the grips off and cycling the gun, but same problem.

The only similar problems I can find to mine are people who have no feeds while firing, but mine is struggling to even cycle bullets without firing. I don't know what I should do at all..
Old September 27, 2014, 03:16 AM   #2
peggysue

22 pistols can be finicky as that ammo can be inconsistent and dirty.. Make sure the pistol is clean and oiled.
Old September 27, 2014, 11:04 AM   #3
SDF880

I would tear it down give it a good cleaning and inspection but even more so look over the mag(s) closely and give them as good a cleaning as you can. 22 ammo is dirty even the clean stuff and the mags get dirty pretty quick too.

My 2 SR-22's are flawless running all kinds of ammo. Good luck to you!
Old September 27, 2014, 12:17 PM   #4
haiauphixu

my Ruger SR22 wont feed last round...

Sound like you have a bad magazine, try another magazine to see if the problem go away...
Old September 28, 2014, 11:38 AM   #5
Inyaface13

Thanks for the responses and help guys! I just gave it a once over with the CLP and some brushes, got all the residue I could get from removing the slide and recoil spring..I am still a little nervous about doing a complete disassembly, but if that's what it needs I suppose there is no choice lol I am so new to guns, I still get nervous when the slide doesn't want to cooperate when I am removing it.

I have tried both of my magazines and ran both through about 4-5 times a piece and every time the last round doesn't pick up and the slide stays open. When I posted this I was so nervous about some kind of internal damage or something beyond my repair..anyway thanks again for the feedback!
Old September 28, 2014, 11:48 AM   #6
Snyper

Quote:
every time the last round doesn't pick up and the slide stays open
Something is pushing the slide catch mechanism up too soon.

If you don't want to completely disassemble the gun, you can remove the grips and let it soak in a container of solvent overnight, then blow it off with an air hose or "canned air"

Concentrate on the area around the slide catch, and the portion of the magazines that activates it
Old September 28, 2014, 12:07 PM   #7
Inyaface13

Snyper I think you're right. It seems to have something to do with the slide release..I haven't noticed this before, but when the mag is in the gun with the last round and I hold the slide open and pull down on the slide release it pulls the bullets down into the magazine just enough to duck under the slide..Not sure if it done this before my problem, but it seems like it could be the culprit..

I am going to gather up my pride and do a complete disassembly, once I have every specific tool I need.

and I just noticed that with the last round, It seems like it is trying to feed at too much of an angle..

Last edited by Inyaface13; September 28, 2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old September 28, 2014, 12:21 PM   #8
Snyper

Sometimes all it takes is a small chip of brass or lead in the wrong spot
Old September 28, 2014, 03:03 PM   #9
SDF880

I have never had to use it but Ruger customer service is touted to be with the best of them. Call them up and send that SR22 back to them for service, they'll get it right!
Old October 3, 2014, 09:40 PM   #10
Inyaface13

Mmkay so! I have figured out the problem why my SR22P wont cycle the last round in the mag..I had reassembled my magazine with the thumb-piece for loading the magazine on the left side instead of the right! Simple mistake..Switched it around and gun cycles all rounds like a dream (Considering I just cleaned it very extensively lol)

I guess the thumb-piece was interfering with the slide release or something.
Old October 3, 2014, 10:52 PM   #11
DPris
Member Emeritus

Simplest way to deal with that (and by far the cheapest) is to just not load that round into the mag at all.

Since the first round in is always the last one out, don't load that first one.
Then you shouldn't have any problems with last-round feeding issues.
Denis

Tags
feed , ruger , sr22