The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 23, 2012, 07:25 PM   #1
fuzzywhitebunny

.357 Magnum caliber

I recently noticed Glock has begun producing a model 31 in .357 caliber. There is no mention of magnum along with this model 31. My question is does this firearm use the exact same cartridge as say a Colt Python. My understanding till now was that the .357 only comes in a magnum. Am I on the right track?
Old September 23, 2012, 08:15 PM   #2
jhenry

This needs moved to the Handguns section and out of the General Rifle section.

The Glock you reference is chambered in .357 Sig, which is a semi auto cartridge developed to equal the .357 Magnum in the 125 grain offering, but in a semi auto pistol. It is a .40 Smith and Wesson necked down to accept the smaller bullet. It is most definitely not the same as the .357 Magnum cartridge. They are not interchangeable at all.
Old September 24, 2012, 11:20 AM   #3
fuzzywhitebunny

I apologize for posting this thread in the wrong category. and I thank you for answering my question.
Old September 25, 2012, 06:29 AM   #4
jhenry

You are most welcome. This forum is a great place to find out all kinds of firearms related stuff. Hope you stick around and enjoy it.

Tags
magnum