The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 11, 2019, 10:33 AM   #26
HighValleyRanch

If the whole point of a duplicate .22 glock is for training (which it is of course, not being a target .22), then having to change mags more often is a good thing!
Old December 11, 2019, 10:52 AM   #27
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Would this be the same CP33 that has to have the mags loaded just right so they don’t rim lock?
Like all rimmed cartridges and any other box/stack type .22 LR magazine? Yea, that one.

If you don't load a single-stack magazine properly, you can rim lock them, too.
Old December 11, 2019, 10:53 AM   #28
Fishbed77

Quote:
I'm sure the fanboys will buy a million of them, but They don't impress me.
Despite your excitement, if your assessment is true, it sounds like a sound business decision for Glock.

I agree though, that without 15 round magazines, the whole "training" marketing point is not valid.
Old December 11, 2019, 12:18 PM   #29
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77 View Post
Despite your excitement, if your assessment is true, it sounds like a sound business decision for Glock.

I agree though, that without 15 round magazines, the whole "training" marketing point is not valid.
I disagree to a point. When I've done training courses sometimes I don't always have time to fully top off my magazines, or sometimes it's near the end of the day and I am getting low on ammo. The point is not every magazine I fire is loaded to the full extent, and when I do that I don't feel the repetitions are no longer valid for training. Ideally I'd do a tactical reload before running out anyway, and if I run out sooner then I just end up practicing more emergency reloads. There is a point at which you can ingrain behaviors and expectations in terms of knowing your round counts explicitly, but whether you'll be able to keep track of that in an actual defensive shooting might be another question.

While I could completely understand someone wanting more capacity, it wouldn't personally change how I view this as a training tool. There are already other differences that I see as more significant than capacity.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old December 11, 2019, 12:24 PM   #30
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee
So now we have a Glock .22LR, the same size as a G19, but only holding 10 rounds. That last part is the one that puzzles me. I've often thought that a .22LR Glock would make for a decent training tool. But 10 rounds? I'd hoped for 15, just like the G19.
Several of the most populous states have 10-round magazine limits. By only offering this model with a 10-round magazine, Glock can sell the same gun in every state, with no need to maintain dual inventories and dual SKUs to account for the vagaries of politics.

By contrast, Armscor released their .22 Magnum 1911 variant with a 15-round magazine, and no 10-round option. This means their shiny new toy can't be sold in at least a half dozen states.
Jeepaholic
Old December 11, 2019, 12:26 PM   #31
Elliottsdad

A 10 round trainer. For $400. What a "LEGENDARY" announcement. LOL.
Jesus, Glock has become a running joke.
No 10mm, no PCC, no 5.7 pistol: absolutely nothing new, exciting, or "legendary."
But its Glock, still stuck in the mid 90's. I guess I'm not surprised.
Old December 11, 2019, 12:28 PM   #32
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliottsdad View Post
A 10 round trainer. For $400. What a "LEGENDARY" announcement. LOL.

Jesus, Glock has become a running joke.

No 10mm, no PCC, no 5.7 pistol: absolutely nothing new, exciting, or "legendary."

Tbh, a 5.7 pistol is pretty far from new, exciting, or legendary for me.

I will say though that when I watched the announcement I did think to myself that a few decades ago this might have seemed more exciting.

Last edited by TunnelRat; December 11, 2019 at 12:33 PM.
Old December 11, 2019, 12:32 PM   #33
Brownstone322

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
While I could completely understand someone wanting more capacity, it wouldn't personally change how I view this as a training tool. There are already other differences that I see as more significant than capacity.
I'm with you.

I enjoy taking pure, never-handled-a-gun-before beginners to the range (usually women, but not necessarily so), and capacity really isn't much of a factor in that situation, not when the new shooter is already facing near overload trying to cope with basic safety, stance, grip, sight alignment and trigger press. (A .22 LR addresses all of this, everything other than recoil management.)

In fact, for a beginner, pausing after 10 rounds to stop and think about the overall experience is actually a good thing, in my mind. Plus, dropping a mag, inserting a new one and charging the gun (all while keeping the muzzle pointed downrange) is one of the things I want them to practice.

That's exactly what I want a .22 auto for, and it's gonna be either this new Glock or the S&W M&P22 Compact.
Old December 11, 2019, 01:46 PM   #34
Crankylove

Solid meh from me.

Glock 42/43 sized, I might, maybe, sorta be interested, but not in a full-size pistol. Never been a big Glock guy to start with, and this does nothing to excite me.
Old December 11, 2019, 06:05 PM   #35
Fishbed77

Quote:
Perhaps, but with Glock clearly making an effort to highlight the similarities to the 19 in terms of size, feel, form factor, and parts compatibility, the capacity issue does seem particularly glaring to this observer.
Old December 11, 2019, 06:16 PM   #36
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77 View Post
Perhaps, but with Glock clearly making an effort to highlight the similarities to the 19 in terms of size, feel, form factor, and parts compatibility, the capacity issue does seem particularly glaring to this observer.
To me pointing out similarities to a pistol that is likely their most popular model is pretty logical. I don't doubt that a good chunk of the marketing is about training with it in relation to say the G19, but there are other reasons people like that form factor too.

Old December 11, 2019, 07:03 PM   #37
sigarms228

I believe the very highly regarded CZ Kadet pistol and kit both have 10 round magazine capacity also. CZ must have found a compelling reason to do that along with Ruger, Browning, SIG conversion kits, and others.

IMO Glock was smart using a 10 round magazine in that tens of millions of firearm owners now live in states with magazine capacity restrictions. Glock may or third party suppliers come out with higher capacity magazines in the future. If Glock leaves it to third party suppliers and problems happen it is not Glock's problem to deal with.
Old December 11, 2019, 08:03 PM   #38
zoo

I think it would have been smarter to make a capable 15 capacity .22 glock and ship it with 10 round mags if need be.

As it is, at least for me, there is no reason for me to get rid of even my Ruger mark III and pick up the .22 Glock.
Old December 12, 2019, 12:21 AM   #39
Cheapshooter

Quote:
So now we have a Glock .22LR, the same size as a G19, but only holding 10 rounds. That last part is the one that puzzles me.
You would think they would learn something from Taurus, and the 16+1 capacity of t he TX22.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 12, 2019, 12:37 AM   #40
Elliottsdad

There was a time when Glock was an innovative company.
For any of the boomers not yet "in the know": for the past two days, the internet firearms community on Instagram and Facebook has been on FIRE with memes about how much Glock blew this one.
It would be pretty funny stuff, if it wasn't so damn true.
Old December 12, 2019, 02:50 AM   #41
stinkeypete

Of course the .22 is called a G44, and a .40 cal is called a G22.. so what would they call a .44 cal Glock?
Old December 12, 2019, 03:43 AM   #42
dontcatchmany

Oh well! Another Gluck that will not clutter up my gunn safe!
Old December 12, 2019, 04:23 AM   #43
kozak6

I'm just baffled and disappointed.

A .22 cal Glock trainer makes perfect sense, and probably should have been a thing a decade or two ago.

But right now? I got excited about the 43/43x/48 and forgot that Glock isn't really about the American civilian market as much as agency sales.

Oh well. At least a plastic slide is, uh, innovative.
Old December 12, 2019, 07:50 AM   #44
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliottsdad View Post
There was a time when Glock was an innovative company.
For any of the boomers not yet "in the know": for the past two days, the internet firearms community on Instagram and Facebook has been on FIRE with memes about how much Glock blew this one.
It would be pretty funny stuff, if it wasn't so damn true.
I have any idea..don't buy one if you don't like it..
Quote:
Glock has become a running joke.
"They 'blew'" it on a 22 pistol(?)..pretty big brush ya got there, but as I said, predictable..
'Stuck in the 90s', making a reliable, simple, not expensive firearm in just about every handgun caliber made, now 22LR also...not sure what else it's supposed to be..ooh, it's not 'pretty'..that's 'important'(not to me)...
Quote:
Another Gluck
Quote:
For any of the boomers not yet "in the know"
Yawn

Well, I guess it's time to sell all my Glocks, for this boomer, not 'in the know'...cuz ya know, the '22LR pistol' will certainly mean the death of Glock..In spite of record sales up until December 10th, 2019...oh well.

Glock could have introduced ANY gun of ANY caliber at ANY price and the responses would still be predictable..here...

From another forum..a GLOCK forum, where most responses are predictable also-like 'Glock needs a new CEO!"..forehead slap.
Quote:
If Glock had come out with a full size gun or bigger, people would be whining about “Why would they come out with a large .22?!” Or “Why didn’t they come out with a Glock 19 size pistol?” If they came out with an entirely new design that didn’t mimic any of their guns, people would be crying about “Why would they come out with a gun that doesn’t help me train on my Glock 19?” Or they would say “Ruger and S&W own the .22 handgun market, why would Glock try to compete with them?!”.

If Glocks new gun had been a new 9mm or .45 Or 10mm or anything else they already make, people would be crying about that too! I’m tempted to say they cannot win but that isn’t true. They will sell a metric pant load of these, just as they did with the Glock 19X, a gun everyone said “Who asked for this?” Or “No one will buy this!”. Glock will win in the end. There is no gun in existence that everyone will want or desire. Well, except maybe the Hi Point Yeet Cannon.

"Tools not Trophies”

Last edited by USNRet93; December 12, 2019 at 08:23 AM.
Old December 12, 2019, 08:19 AM   #45
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93 View Post
I have any idea..don't by one if you don't like it..

They 'blew' it on a 22 pistol..pretty big brush ya got there, but as I said, predictable..

Yawn

Well, I guess it's time to sell all my Glocks, for this boomer, not 'in the know'...cuz ya know, the '22LR pistol' will certainly mean the death of Glock..In spite of record sales up until December 10th, 2019...oh well.

Glock could have introduced ANY gun of ANY caliber at ANY price and the responses would still be predictable..here...

From another forum..a GLOCK forum, where most responses are predictable also-like 'Glock needs a new CEO!"..forehead slap.
The responses you're seeing here are mirrored elsewhere too. I know you think this forum has an anti-Glock bias. It really doesn't from where I'm sitting.

Old December 12, 2019, 08:20 AM   #46
AK103K

I think its pretty comical, all the bitching and complaints, and no one has even seen or shot one yet.

They must REALLY have the haters scared!
Old December 12, 2019, 08:21 AM   #47
TunnelRat

People have opinions on the internet. Who knew?

Old December 12, 2019, 08:25 AM   #48
USNRet93

Yup, discussion group-discuss or not..
Quote:
The responses you're seeing here are mirrored elsewhere too. I know you think this forum has an anti-Glock bias. It really doesn't from where I'm sitting.
Well, I guess that means Glock's CEO had better quit, and Glock had better go out of business...
I guess we sit in different chairs.

I like my Glocks, they do what I want them to do, have no desire to buy or use anything else...and then get labeled a 'Glock fanboy', as if that's a 4 letter word..so what..not gonna sell anything...I still learn a lot from this forum, in spite of a 'perceived' bias ..

"Tools not Trophies”

Last edited by USNRet93; December 12, 2019 at 08:33 AM.
Old December 12, 2019, 10:49 AM   #49
Fishbed77

Quote:
I think it would have been smarter to make a capable 15 capacity .22 glock and ship it with 10 round mags if need be.
Agreed.
Quote:
As it is, at least for me, there is no reason for me to get rid of even my Ruger mark III and pick up the .22 Glock.
I certainly won't be getting rid of my Ruger Mark III. But that doesn't mean I won't consider adding this .22LR to my stable.
Old December 12, 2019, 11:10 AM   #50
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Of course the .22 is called a G44, and a .40 cal is called a G22.. so what would they call a .44 cal Glock?
Well, it wouldn't be a G40. That's a 10MM.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!