The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 7, 2014, 08:24 PM   #1
jim milam

loaded

finaly decided to keep a loaded weapon in the house. we live in a quiet area but there have been a couple of breakins in the last year. I have a 357 revolver and loaded some 125 gr jhp at 5% under max just to be safe. my normal loads are hard cast bullets for punching paper. these may not be max loads but at close quarters should do the job. trust me if I ever feel the need to point it at someone I will pull the trigger. it aint just for show
Old July 7, 2014, 09:33 PM   #2
kilimanjaro

Put a good flashlight next to it, and your cellphone should be near at night.

Practice getting to it from some point in the house in as short a time as you can, and take care of obstacles to moving quickly now.

Lock it up when you are away, or carry with a CC permit.

Put good locks on the doors, sticks in the window frames, and get an alarm system if you don't have one already.
Old July 7, 2014, 09:36 PM   #3

Take some time to yourself and think it through. It has to be more than just a passing thought.

Many have thought they'd have no problem pointing a gun at someone and pulling the trigger. I've dealt with those that failed.

The more you think about it and completely think it through, the more likely you will be able to defend yourself and your loved ones.
Old July 8, 2014, 06:37 AM   #4
45_auto

Quote:
trust me if I ever feel the need to point it at someone I will pull the trigger. it aint just for show
If you can afford it, spend a couple of hundred dollars on some quality training and learn the difference between when it's legally ok to point your pistol at someone and when it's ok to shoot them. They aren't the same thing.
Old July 8, 2014, 08:27 PM   #5
Glenn E. Meyer

As said here and elsewhere 1000 times, your postings count.

If you make a bad shoot -

Quote:
trust me if I ever feel the need to point it at someone I will pull the trigger. it aint just for show
this quote will not look good.

Of course, no one ever thinks they will screw up a shoot.
Old July 8, 2014, 08:38 PM   #6
Mainah

Actually Glenn I know that if I'm at the range with my father-in-law standing behind me I will screw up a shot.
Old July 8, 2014, 10:26 PM   #7
OuTcAsT

Mainah wrote;
Quote:
I will screw up a shot.
Glenn E. Meyer wrote;
Quote:
Of course, no one ever thinks they will screw up a shoot.
I hope the humor and, the difference are not lost on anyone here.

jim milam, Since you have made the decision to take the matter of your own defense personally, I would suggest that if you have not done so already, you invest in some good defense training and, make yourself aware of the laws regarding self defense in your area. TFL is a wonderful resource to begin that journey. However, there is no substitute for proper training.

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -
Old July 9, 2014, 06:15 AM   #8
OldMarksman
Staff

I strongly urge that you read this book.

One other thing: both the short term and long term effects of firing a heavy .357 Magnum load indoors are to be avoided. Either use ear protection or choose another load.
Old July 11, 2014, 12:12 AM   #9
45Gunner

One should have an action plan in case of an emergency such as the break-in you mention. You are protecting your family and you want to make sure your family is safe. Have a plan devised and rehearse it so the wife and kids understand what they have to do.

And one other point, if I may? If I am using a gun for protection of my family and home, I'm putting factory new ammo in it, not reloads...
Reloads are great for practice. Even if you are a great reloader, spend the few extra bucks on your family's safety, they're worth it.

Make sure you know the laws in your state. My state has the Castle Doctrine. However, if I catch someone in my house and confront them, it does not mean I can shoot them in the back.
NRA Life Member