The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 20, 2024, 09:36 PM   #1
Shadow9mm

Magpul MOE PR stock, don't like it.

Hey, This will short and sweet. The MOE PR looked like it had great potential, however, like the regular MOE stock it is loose and wiggled all over the place on the buffer tube making the bag rider portion and "precision features" a moot point IMHO. I am trying to see if I can return it.

https://magpul.com/moe-pr-carbine-st...obal_color=118
Old February 20, 2024, 10:34 PM   #2
tangolima

I have a Rogers super stock. It has a 2nd level to lock the stock to tube. Feels very solid. No wiggle at all. Its cheek rest is a bit too low for me though, so I taped a layer of foam to make it work.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old February 20, 2024, 11:12 PM   #3
MrChick

Too bad you didn’t see the reviews before you bought it. You aren’t alone. Thanks for the heads up.
Old February 21, 2024, 01:31 AM   #4
bamaranger

two diameters

As near as I can tell, Magpul offers some of their stocks in TWO different diameters, commercial and mil spec. Do some checking and you will find that the case with the carbine "shorty" for certain. I suspect the PR might be the same way.

I've got the shorty carbine model installed on an M&P, it is rock solid and my favorite AR stock.
Old February 21, 2024, 04:27 PM   #5
rmh3481

Another vote for the Rogers Super Stock. Mine came with a couple of wedges that I never used, but nonetheless were in the box. You install a wedge touching the receiver extension where the bolt goes thru for the lock. The wedge takes up any rattle room.

If you cant send it back and want to try something, heat the stock up with it on the tube with a hair dryer. A friend of mine used a hair dryer to tighten his up. I guess you could also use a heat gun but be careful not to burn a hole in it. Alot of plastic will work like shrink wrap and snug up to the steel it is mounted on.

Good luck with it. I know alot of the Retro guys go thru this trying to get their rifles right.
Old February 21, 2024, 05:08 PM   #6
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmh3481 View Post
Another vote for the Rogers Super Stock. Mine came with a couple of wedges that I never used, but nonetheless were in the box. You install a wedge touching the receiver extension where the bolt goes thru for the lock. The wedge takes up any rattle room.
That's right. The extra wedges are for accommodating difference between mil spec and commercial dimensions.

-TL

Old February 24, 2024, 05:58 PM   #7
tangolima

Well that peaks my curiosity. I dug out my cheapo mil spec stock that I have never used. It is indeed pretty sloppy on a mil spec tube. With metal foil with adhesive I shimmed inside of the stock to take out the lateral slop, but I couldn't do anything about the back and forth (longitudinal) slop. That's that. I'm going back to my Rogers super stock with taped on foam cheek rest.

The mil spec vs commercial buffer tube angle won't work, I'm afraid. Commercial tube has bigger diameter. But it only fit commerical spec lower receiver. I can't put a fatter commercial tube on a mil spec lower to make the stock fit better.

-TL

Old February 25, 2024, 10:50 PM   #8
Nathan

I’d look at the MOE-SL if I were you.
Old March 2, 2024, 05:00 PM   #9
zukiphile

If you want a rifle stock that has a flat portion for bag use and doesn't rattle, there is the Luth MBA2. https://ar15discounts.com/products/l...n-rifle-stock/

It's about A2 length and has some sharp corners at the bottom of the butt that are uncomfortable in a standing olympic position, but it is so tight I wasn't sure I would get it over the receiver extension.
Old March 10, 2024, 06:12 AM   #10
stagpanther

My favorite AR stocks are either the magpul CTR or--one of their cheapest--the fixed rifle.