The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 2, 2021, 02:29 PM   #26
rickyrick

I have been burgled when I didn’t have dogs in the house during my absence.

I have never been burgled when dogs were alone in the house.

Purely anecdotal evidence on my part.

I can’t afford one of the indestructible safes, I can’t answer otherwise.
Old February 2, 2021, 08:57 PM   #27
dogtown tom

Quote:
Ricklin Beyond the good specific recommendations seen here, the key is multiple layers of security.
This.
Given enough time a monkey will type "cat". Same with thieves. Give them enough time they'll break any safe.

Dogs, alarms, good lights, nosy or attentive neighbors, cameras all go hand in hand.

Yes, there are safe snobs. And for good reason. Many of the "consumer grade" safes you find at WalMart/Academy/Costco/Sams/Cabelas/etc don't have the same features as true safes. My local safe guy calls them "residential security containers".

If you suffer a fire, guns in a cheap safe will suffer. Many are lined with gypsum (as fireproofing insulation) which will outgas moisture in a fire......steaming the contents of your safe. You'll have your guns, but they will likely be damaged.

Therefore, insurance.

AR15 has a great Safe and Security subforum: https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/S...e-Security/46/

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old February 3, 2021, 03:42 PM   #28
rc

Most criminals are looking to be in and out without getting confronted or caught. The more risky you make the theft for them, the less likely you'll be victimized.

My friend had a shop robbed several times before he added electricity, a security system, cameras, lights, a fence and dogs. He sleeps much better now. Before he added all the security he was an easy mark.
Old February 3, 2021, 04:09 PM   #29
rickyrick

Another thing that I learned, burglars can only carry what they can carry.
I have some low’ish end guitars and music equipment about. I’m not a musician. My hope is that they grab that stuff and go, before they ever even know about the gun safe in a confusing obscure part of my home.
Dogs I think are the best deterrent, that’s what I think anyway.
I also have visible cameras.
I have no visible evidence of being a gun owner... No hats, stickers, t-shirts, NRA logos, bumper stickers.
I don’t care if I loose anything of monetary value... I don’t want a gun in a criminals hands that came from me.
Old February 4, 2021, 09:19 PM   #30
M3 Pilot

I used safes with electronic keypads at work for 20 years or so until I retired. We were in and out of them probably at least 50 times a day and always relocked them when we closed them. We had to replace batteries occasionally. Of the 4 safes we used, we had only 1 keypad failure during that time.
Old February 4, 2021, 10:49 PM   #31
rc

Around here the criminals are working in organized groups with break in men and a driver. They sometimes break into shops, stage the big ticket items they want by an unlocked door after breaking in and then come back in the middle of the night to do a quick grab and gone. They can come back with a truck if they find your safe and have enough time. Don't count on them stopping at what they can carry out!
Old February 6, 2021, 07:04 PM   #32
vito

The OP was asking for real life stories of safes that failed, and unless I missed something, not one comment on this thread gave a specific incident of that type. Maybe if you are the type that brags at a local bar about your 100 gun collection including highly valuable antique firearms, and that your wife's diamonds and emeralds are kept in the gun safe for security, then you might be the target of a highly skilled and organized team of thieves ready and able to get into your gun safe. But most home burglaries that I know of are by drug addicts and semi brain dead lowlives looking for a purse with cash laying on the table or a wallet full of cash and credit cards on the bedside stand. Maybe that camera bag on the shelf in your closet will be grabbed, and that unsecured gun in the drawer of the bedside table is sure to go, but most metal storage units might well be enough to keep the guns safe from the opportunistic thief. Just my opinion.
Old February 6, 2021, 09:10 PM   #33
rickyrick

Good point Vito,

Probably why the Stack-on type cabinets are acceptable for places that require guns to be secured.
I had a friend that had bars on the doors and windows, so the thieves just sawed through the exterior wall
Old February 6, 2021, 09:13 PM   #34
Shadow9mm

This is an older vid, but very helpful in explaining gun safes, and how to find one that is hard to get into. He talks about safes the way some of us talk about the finer details on guns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltK-bDbADa8&t=214s

As of a about 2yrs ago or so the guy from the vid CE safes, is still open, and will ship safes cross country either to your curb, or the dock of your local locksmith for install. Good guy, very professional
https://www.cesafes.com/

if your talking safes that failed. I had a basic sentry fire safe, walmart variety for documents and handguns. got burglarized, the safe was gone, they just picked it up and walked off with it. We were in an apartment and I had not bolted it down. I learned. It does not have to be big, or heavy. Just relatively hard to get into, and bolted down, preferably in a place that makes it hard get tools onto the safe.

Last edited by Shadow9mm; February 10, 2021 at 01:00 PM.
Old February 7, 2021, 04:45 AM   #35
hemiram

The safe is just to delay them, and make them "work" to get them out. Mine isn't anything all that special, but it's in the corner, bolted to the wall with a lot of bolts.

I have cameras set up with motion detection that call my cell phone when any movement or loud noise is detected. My safe is in my spare bedroom, no person alive would be able to get inside without my knowing about it. They have to pass by 2 cameras to get to my safe. I have a UPS on both my PC setup and the cameras and they can run a fair amount of time without any power and just the power failing will trigger the motion detection, turn on a couple of LED emergency lights, and call my phone and record a video clip to "the cloud". I can set off a siren remotely if I want to. I work a few minutes from home and the local PD arrives very quickly most of the time, so I'm not too concerned.

About 10 years ago, I had just installed an older camera setup that was web accessible. It was very unreliable, but it did work the one time I needed it. About a month after it was installed, my phone went off and when I saw the name of the camera show up on the caller ID, I knew it was either someone was in the house, or one of my dogs had passed by the camera, which was very rare, but did happen. In this case, it was someone in the house, a friend of mines' little brother, who has a history of being an amazingly smart guy who does amazingly stupid things. I watched and recorded him stealing 12 guns I had in boxes in my former "Gun Room". I didn't have the safe space for all of them. I was already in my car, heading for home before he left. I called his brother and sent him a little chunk of video and told him if his brother brought back my guns, I wouldn't go to the police. I had them back in less than 2 hours. His brother had borrowed his car, and copied the key to my house that had my initials on it, without his brother thinking about it happening, as I have known the younger brother since he could barely walk. I never thought he would steal from me. When I saw him, he apologized, etc, and I told him if he did anything to me or my property again, he would be going to jail. His brother upgraded my locks for free and made a new key for himself, and hid it where it would be very difficult to find. Only his wife and him know about it, and them I trust.

Where is the little brother now? Federal Prison, doing about 10 years for a bunch of stuff. He will be about 50 when he gets out. I'm glad his parents aren't around to know what became of the "surprise baby" they had almost 20 years after the first two.
Old February 7, 2021, 06:05 AM   #36
Brit

My monitored alarm has Deputys at the door in ten minutes. The alarm is LOUD! My next-door Lady works from home. Calls my Cell Phone immediately the alarm goes off.
Each case has been a false alarm.
One gun is out of safe, my carry pistol. On me, or on my side table. Grandkids visiting, round removed from the breach. Pistol on the person. No electronic combination lock for me.
Old February 8, 2021, 11:10 AM   #37
FAS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito View Post
The OP was asking for real life stories of safes that failed, and unless I missed something,
I think you missed something Vito.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty Morgan View Post
Whenever I see a forum thread about safes, I see numerous messages telling about safes that failed. "They pried it out of the floor and rolled it out." "They cut the steel with an angle grinder and peeled it back like a sardine can." You know what I mean.

I thought it would be good to post a different kind of question. Instead of asking for recommendations or stories about safes that failed, I want to know if anyone has a story about security measures that worked when criminals showed up.
Old February 8, 2021, 02:33 PM   #38
GE-Minigun

OK real life. Not a robbery, but a “break in” none the less. Good friend of mine had a close friend pass away and he was given all of his guns and firearm related items. Long story short – the guns were in 3 safes…I was able to get into all three in about an hour each and in actuality we were technically in them in less than 15 minutes, although we couldn’t get the long guns out and had to open it up a little more. One safe was from the 40’s, jewelers type safe…on wheels 3’ wide, 6’ tall and 2’ deep, second safe was roughly the same type, but not as large and 70’s vintage, third was a Liberty not sure the model, but about 5’ tall…used a 4.5” grinder with a cut-off wheel, 42” pry bar and a reciprocating saw. Grinder to cut a slot big enough to get the blade in; they all opened like a P-38 going through K-Ration.