The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 3, 2019, 07:04 PM   #201
Bartholomew Roberts

5whiskey wins the “Polite understatement of the year” award. Well done, sir!
Old August 4, 2019, 05:09 AM   #202
Mainah

Quote:
WLP should step down now, even if he hasn’t really done anything wrong, because the trust is broken. He won’t, because as you said he wants the big chair. And I don’t believe he is fully innocent in this matter like some board members insist.
Bingo. His actions now confirm that he's more concerned with himself and what benefits him than the health of the NRA.

And nothing that the media or Democrats are doing is nearly as damaging to the cause or horrific as what happened (so far) this weekend.
Old August 4, 2019, 06:22 AM   #203
Tony Z

As with the past several posts, I fully agree. The political winds are dramatically increasing against the 2A, and a united front is needed, not a self-serving front, whether real or perceived.

More words are not needed, but a united singular voice to speak for us is.
Old August 4, 2019, 07:08 AM   #204
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainah View Post
Bingo. His actions now confirm that he's more concerned with himself and what benefits him than the health of the NRA.

And nothing that the media or Democrats are doing is nearly as damaging to the cause or horrific as what happened (so far) this weekend.
Indeed..2 incidents in 24 hours...4 in the last couple of weeks..

For ME..stay aware, stay armed, stay trained..to protect me and mine..

The NRA issues are self inflicted also..
Quote:
More words are not needed, but a united singular voice to speak for us is.
WLP needs to go..

"Tools not Trophies”

Last edited by USNRet93; August 4, 2019 at 07:30 AM.
Old August 11, 2019, 11:15 AM   #205
Bartholomew Roberts

NRA donors file class-action lawsuit against NRA seeking return of donations:
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/br...ra-foundation/
Old August 12, 2019, 01:31 PM   #206
thallub

The NRA dumpster fire just got hotter.
Old August 12, 2019, 02:47 PM   #207
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by thallub
The NRA dumpster fire just got hotter.
Oh, yes. Julie Golub just resigned from the board.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/ju...-of-directors/
Jeepaholic
Old August 12, 2019, 04:56 PM   #208
thallub

The New York attorney general subpoenaed financial records of 90 past and present NRA board members.

There are rumors that one or more former NRA executives are co-operating with the NY AG.
Old August 12, 2019, 07:09 PM   #209
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I have a feeling that a whole bunch of directors who thought their only function was to have their names appear on the list of directors are going to be in for a rude awakening when their attorneys explain that, as directors, they had a fiduciary duty to the membership to be aware of where and how the money was being spent, and to have raised objections if the money wasn't being spent prudently or if they couldn't get answers.

"I don't know because I never attended meetings" is not an acceptable answer.
Jeepaholic
Old August 12, 2019, 08:02 PM   #210
WyMark

The spinning, dodging and outright lying about the Dallas house for poor 'lil Wayne continues to grow. Today the WSJ released a picture of a check from the NRA for $70k, exactly the amount 'lil Wayne needed for earnest money on the house. Hmmm

https://www.wsj.com/articles/check-f...ns-11565626607
Old August 20, 2019, 03:11 PM   #211
thallub

NRA board members Childress and Morgan have resigned:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fir...&OCID=AVRES000
Old August 20, 2019, 07:29 PM   #212
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Last one to leave, turn out the lights.
Jeepaholic
Old August 20, 2019, 08:26 PM   #213
zxcvbob

I don't think leaving absolves them of their fiduciary responsibility for the time they were there. Some of them are going to find that out the hard way.
Old August 20, 2019, 09:39 PM   #214
MTT TL

Quote:
Last one to leave, turn out the lights.
The whole meltdown has me sick to my stomach about our rights. The question then becomes where to go next? Since WP is going down with the ship (or taking the ship down I should say) I say we need to be looking for an organization that can be just powerful but structured with more accountability.
Old August 20, 2019, 10:25 PM   #215
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcvbob
I don't think leaving absolves them of their fiduciary responsibility for the time they were there. Some of them are going to find that out the hard way.
I agree with you regarding their fiduciary duty.

I read somewhere recently that the NRA provided it's officers and directors with officers and directors liability insurance coverage. The article indicated (if I read it correctly) that the coverage was terminated recently. That could explain why so many directors are bailing out now.

That "gotcha" might be in the way the insurance is structured. I know nothing about officers and directors insurance but, as an architect, I know a bit about professional liability insurance. The key point is that it's written on a "claims made" basis. In plain English, that means the insurance has to be paid up and in force at the time the claim is made.

Example: In my state, the statute of limitations for professional negligence is seven years. Say I take on a project that takes a year to design and another year to build. The owner requires that I carry $5 million in professional liability insurance. I start the insurance on the date I sign the contract. No problems as of the end of construction -- can I stop paying for $5 million of insurance at that point?

Nope. The owner has seven years to find something he doesn't like about my design or my services. If he waits until 6 years and six months down the road to file suit, if I am not still carrying that same coverage, the fact that I maintained insurance throughout the design and construction periods means nothing. The policy has to be in effect on the date the claim is made.

I expect (but don't know) that officers and directors coverage functions the same way. If so, resigning from the board now won't help them if there's no insurance when a lawsuit is filed.
Jeepaholic
Old August 20, 2019, 11:38 PM   #216
Cirdan

All organizations offer directors and officers liability insurance. The terms, though, presume the individuals are acting properly and with due consideration for their responsibilities. It doesn't cover corruption. It doesn't cover directors if they are not acting properly.
Old August 21, 2019, 02:20 AM   #217
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirdan
All organizations offer directors and officers liability insurance.
No, not all organizations offer directors and officers liability insurance. I have served on the boards of multiple not-for-profit organizations over the years, and none of them offered it. During the period when I was on the board of a mental health halfway house I bought and paid for my own directors and officers liability policy.
Jeepaholic
Old August 21, 2019, 07:46 AM   #218
thallub

NRA on Fox News "The Swamp":

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...DF4F&FORM=VIRE

From Shooting Wire:

https://www.shootingwire.com/
Old August 21, 2019, 08:20 AM   #219
jimbob86

This is just one more instance that confirms to me that "Pournelle's Iron law of Bureaucracy" is indeed, "Iron" ......
Old August 22, 2019, 02:19 PM   #220
ligonierbill

Comments on the Wayne LaPierre testimonial in the September American Rifleman? Seems that if you question his leadership, you have joined the other side. I did not have a lot of energy for this issue until I read this puff piece. Now, I surely hope there will be a slate of board candidates pledged to make changes. I certainly won't vote for anyone who does not make that commitment.
Old August 23, 2019, 08:44 AM   #221
Longhorn1986

Quote:
Comments on the Wayne LaPierre testimonial in the September American Rifleman? Seems that if you question his leadership, you have joined the other side.
After reading the article, all I could think was "Nice to see Baghdad Bob found a job after the war"
Old August 23, 2019, 10:14 AM   #222
thallub

The investigation into the not for profit case is underway. The New York judge presiding over the case refused to allow the NRA to hear the testimony of Oliver North.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...tb4-story.html

This same New York attorney general was responsible for dissolving the Trump Foundation
Old August 26, 2019, 03:31 AM   #223
MTT TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by thallub View Post
The investigation into the not for profit case is underway. The New York judge presiding over the case refused to allow the NRA to hear the testimony of Oliver North.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...tb4-story.html

This same New York attorney general was responsible for dissolving the Trump Foundation
Quote:
But Assistant Attorney General Emily Stern promised to cut off North should he begin sharing information that is off-limits.
oh there you go then they got it covered.
Old August 26, 2019, 02:10 PM   #224
Bartholomew Roberts

One of the things that disturbs me about all of this is the “saviors” of the NRA are all Ackerman McQueen drones pulling down huge salaries from AM. From what I know of a few of them, its a 50/50 mix of great leaders and people I wouldn’t let within a mile of my neighborhood. That doesn’t encourage me.

Last edited by Bartholomew Roberts; August 28, 2019 at 01:12 AM.
Old August 28, 2019, 01:11 AM   #225
Bartholomew Roberts

The purges continue: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/wa...is-gun-owners/

NRA-ILA abandons severs relationship with outside counsel Cooper & Kirk, leaving several states rights groups engaged in ongoing litigation high and dry.