The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 12, 2008, 04:40 PM   #1
rickdavis81

H&R single shot for trap

Anybody use one for trap shooting? I've got a 12 guage modified barrel h&r I'm thinking about trying next week. We started a league at work and this was our second week. I've shot 40 out of 50 each week so it can't hurt my score too bad. Plus it points well and is light, I just have to add a recoil pad. It smarts a little.
Old August 12, 2008, 07:35 PM   #2
dalecooper51

rick -

If you have one give it a shot.

I just picked up trap shooting in mid June and have shot about half of my rounds with an H&R Topper. The rest of the time I use a well worn old wingmaster. I think the H&R is a bit light for high volume shooting, but works well providing you do your part. A recoil pad is a wise investment.

My pop is pushing 70 and hasn't shot trap in about 40 yrs. I dragged him out a few times and he uses his H&R. He has a slip on recoil pad for it and never complains about being sore.

The main thing is to be safe and have fun.

dale
Old August 12, 2008, 09:08 PM   #3
Laz

I love H&R single shots. They do make a dedicated trap gun now but it's pricier than the others. Recently I purchased an H&R Topper Deluxe Classic, 28 inch, walnut stock, choke tube, and a vent rib. I was not going to get one of these thinking it was making a silk purse from the sow's ear but I saw one at a gun show and really liked it. Got visitors and won't get to shoot it for another couple of weeks.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old August 13, 2008, 03:45 AM   #4
kozak6

I've done it.

I agree that it's a bit lightweight for that and that it does smart a bit .
Old August 13, 2008, 08:47 AM   #5
redhart

trap

Yes use it! I took my 20 in. Coach gun and shot trap more than once!! Got some robbing from the guys ..all fun.
Old August 13, 2008, 11:06 AM   #6
Rampant_Colt

I would add some weight to the stock and get a slip-on recoil pad. Even the light trap/skeet loads get your attention when shooting lightweight H&R Toppers. Modified choke will work @ 17 yards, but not very well past that using 7-1/2 shot.
Full-choke is generally preferred for trap, but modified will git 'er done.

I LOVE my H&R Topper!
Old August 13, 2008, 11:20 AM   #7
TNFrank

They also make the H&R Topper Deluxe Classic in a 20ga if you want a bit less recoil. The vent rib really makes the single shot look sweet. Local dealer can get me one for right at $200 out the door. Of course I could probably find a decent used pump 20ga for about the same price. Just depends on what you want I guess.
“You know what the difference between me and you really is? You look out there and see a horde of evil, brain eating zombies. I look out there and see a target rich environment.” -Dillis D. Freeman Jr.11/2/2001
Old August 13, 2008, 12:13 PM   #8
johnwilliamson062

What about drilling the stock and adding inserts to it. Lead for the sake of argument.
Old August 13, 2008, 12:21 PM   #9
akr

Quote:
I love H&R single shots. They do make a dedicated trap gun now but it's pricier than the others. Recently I purchased an H&R Topper Deluxe Classic, 28 inch, walnut stock, choke tube, and a vent rib. I was not going to get one of these thinking it was making a silk purse from the sow's ear but I saw one at a gun show and really liked it. Got visitors and won't get to shoot it for another couple of weeks.

NRA Lifetime Member
Old August 13, 2008, 07:08 PM   #10
joegator

If you have it shoot it. As others have mentioned it is a little light for prolonged shooting. I would put a pad on it and stick to light 1 oz loads. The cheap dove/quail loads at Walmarts will start to sting after a few rounds. If your budget permits get the the Winchester target light or extra light loads at Bass Pro.
Old August 13, 2008, 09:14 PM   #11
rickdavis81

I generally shoot Estate 2 3/4 #8's. I don't mind a little recoil. We usually shoot 75 to 100 rounds a session. I've had this gun for about 12 years and probaly only put 2 or 3 boxes thru it. Does anybody know if H&R can fit their trap gun barrel to this shotgun. I didn't see it on the barrel accessory program.
Old August 14, 2008, 12:04 AM   #12
kozak6

I'd say to give them a call.

http://www.hr1871.com/about/contactus.asp
Old August 14, 2008, 10:47 AM   #13
rickdavis81

I called h&r and they said they don't currently offer the trap barrel in their program. Darn the luck.