The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 6, 2017, 09:27 PM   #1
Deer hunter88

Sabot slugs

Will a sabot slug be as accurate out of a screw in rifled choke tube as it would a fully rifled slug gun barrel? Or would I be better off using a slug gun for sabot slugs?
Old December 6, 2017, 09:32 PM   #2
Mobuck

It's not likely a choke tube will give the same accuracy as a fully rifled barrel. I have a tubed slug barrel and it's only marginally more accurate than a smoothbore.
Old December 7, 2017, 11:14 AM   #3
natman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer hunter88 View Post
Will a sabot slug be as accurate out of a screw in rifled choke tube as it would a fully rifled slug gun barrel?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer hunter88 View Post
Or would I be better off using a [fully rifled] slug gun for sabot slugs?
Yes.
Old December 7, 2017, 12:50 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

Sabotted slugs require a rifled barrel.
A rifled choke tube is kind of old technology. They were made before the manufacturers started making fully rifled shotgun barrels. Made for regular slugs not sabotted slugs.
You can expect 2 or 3 inch groups at 100 with a smooth bore using slugs and iron sights. Some shotguns are scary accurate with 'em. You do have to try a box of as many brands as you can just like a rifle or handgun though.
Old December 7, 2017, 09:12 PM   #5
Doyle

Rifled choke tubes are a marketing gimmick designed to separate shooters from their money. Save your money and use it to find the brand of rifled slugs that your barrel likes. You'll likely need to try at least 4 or 5 flavors to get the right combination.
Old December 7, 2017, 09:50 PM   #6
Worc

I know a couple of guys who use rifled choke tubes with sabot slugs and get very good accuracy. Fully rifled barrels have been around as long as rifled choke tubes. The fully rifled Browning A-Bolt slug gun came out around 1994 and was ahead of it's time.

I do like fully rifled barrels for slugs. They provide a longer period for the projectile to be stable in the barrel and don't have any tubes that could work loose.

I have a fully rifled Mossberg 695 with a Nikon 3x9x40 that shoots 1 1/4" -1 1/2" 3 shot groups with Hornady SST's and Remington Core-lokt's (Discontinued, I still have 6 boxes). I let my buddies son borrow it last year and he took a doe in Indiana at 212 yards with a SST.
Old December 7, 2017, 10:36 PM   #7
lefteye

Shotgun thread???
Old December 7, 2017, 11:37 PM   #8
ThomasT

Quote:
Shotgun thread???
It happens. Wrong forum.
Old December 8, 2017, 12:36 AM   #9
epl1007

Depends how far your going to be shooting. Sabots are radiculously and the kick of the hot toddies ones is radiculous. If your gonna be shooting 50 yards shoot a rifled slug through your bird barrel and scope the shotgun. If your expecting some distance shooting 100-150 yards buy the cantilevered slug barrel put a good scope on it that will handle massive recoil and run Hornady SSTs Remington Accutips and Barnes Expanders at 100 to see what your gun likes. mine likes ssts but they’re all different
Old December 8, 2017, 01:17 AM   #10
Scorch

I have heard and read of "good" accuracy with rifled choke tubes, but I am unsure of how "good" it means (it depends on who's saying it). The only way to know if a rifled choke tube will meet your accuracy needs for sabot slugs is to try it. Sounds like a good reason for a range trip to me.

Quote:
A rifled choke tube is kind of old technology. They were made before the manufacturers started making fully rifled shotgun barrels.
Rifled shotguns barrels have been around for over 50 years that I know of. Ithaca used to make the Model 37 Deerslayer that had a rifled barrel specifically for shooting slugs. Threaded shotgun choke tubes have only been around since the late 1970s or early 1980s.

But the idea of rifling only at the end of the barrel goes back to the Paradox guns of the late 1800s. They were smoothbores with only a short section of rifling near the muzzle. They were conceived as a cheap way to give colonial native hunters access to the killing advantages of rifled barrels without giving them rifles (because rifles in the hands of colored natives was seen as bad). The invention of the rifled shotgun slug pretty much did away with Paradox guns.
Old December 8, 2017, 09:12 AM   #11
Jack O'Conner

My Mossberg rifled shotgun barrel shoots into a 2 inch group at 75 yards when I do my part. But the recoil is quite stout, indeed. Lately I've chosen to hunt within restricted zones with my CVA Optima muzzle-loader. Far less recoil but same terminal performance!

Jack
Old December 9, 2017, 05:18 PM   #12
Deer hunter88

Thank you all for the replies. I was looking on buds gun shop and came across a Remington 870 super magnum slug gun that shoots 3 1/2 inch shells so I’ll probably end up buying it instead.