The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 2, 2011, 05:29 PM   #1
mdd

Killed my first coyote this morning

At least, the first one I've ever killed with a 22 LR. I got on the tractor & started working ground this morning about 5:30. Was there yesterday before sun-up too and had seen two coyotes meandering out through the stubble field. Even though it's big & loud, they don't pay any attention to the tractor because it moves slow and predictably for hours at a time. Took my 22 with me this morning and saw one about 6:45. Stopped the tractor and luckily he was on the side away from the door. Grabbed my rifle and climbed down the ladder then belly crawled under the tractor with a tire blocking his view of me. Peaked out from behind the tire and saw him running left across my field of view. Put the crosshairs on him then barked at him. He stopped and looked, I held a bit high, and sent one of those allegedly worthless remington bulk pack 36 grain garbage jhp's flying. Somehow it managed to hit him right in the head and dropped him....well, dropped him like he'd been shot in the head! He was a young one & I kind of felt bad for shooting him now knowing how easy he would have been to call and shoot in a few months.
Old July 2, 2011, 08:07 PM   #2
katana8869

I took a coyote in an orange grove at about 50 yards down here in FL with my Ruger 10/22 a couple of weeks ago. I used to do that all the time back in the early '90's before internet gun forums told me how dumb I was
Old July 2, 2011, 10:06 PM   #3
JHansenAK47

Quote:
I used to do that all the time back in the early '90's before internet gun forums told me how dumb I was

I got one with my 22lr pistol about 2-3 yrs ago. Kind of a freak thing. He just walked out and I already had my gun out as I was about to shoot some cans. He was in the wrong spot at the wrong time. Not sure how many it took to take him down as he got the bonnie and clyde experience in a hail of gunfire.
Old July 3, 2011, 03:42 AM   #4
tape

Happened a few years back.

There was a guy "Fred" that got tired of the coyote's getting his chickens, he caught one of the coyote's alive, he and his father drove it out to the field a good ways away from his house about a 1/2 mile or so. While his father held on to the coyote Fred tied 4 sticks of dynamite to the coyote and lit it, as the coyote hauled ass mostly being scared he ran up under Fred's brand new truck.

true story; told by Paul Harvey
Old July 3, 2011, 08:41 AM   #5
gaseousclay

Quote:
Happened a few years back.

There was a guy "Fred" that got tired of the coyote's getting his chickens, he caught one of the coyote's alive, he and his father drove it out to the field a good ways away from his house about a 1/2 mile or so. While his father held on to the coyote Fred tied 4 sticks of dynamite to the coyote and lit it, as the coyote hauled ass mostly being scared he ran up under Fred's brand new truck.

true story; told by Paul Harvey
if this is in fact a true story, it's just wrong on so many levels.
Old July 3, 2011, 09:14 AM   #6
Sarge

Waste of good dynamite.

I had one pop out of a treeline, between big crop fields, about 40 yards away; happened to be carrying an old Single Six loaded with cheap solids. We saw each other about the same time. I snapped a shot as it turned back into the trees and hit it through the shoulders. Thought I had missed it until it did a somersault after a short sprint.
Old July 3, 2011, 08:09 PM   #7
BIG P

Know what you mean I've shot them for years with a 22mag.that alot of the folks on the net said wont work or poor choice I dont understand they looked dead as a hammer to me I'll probably shoot some more just to make sure
Old July 3, 2011, 08:13 PM   #8
jimbob86

You know, if you had hit him in the lungs with that .22 hp, he would not have gone very far either..... animals don't travel far with their lungs full of blood...... makes it hard to breathe.
Old July 4, 2011, 05:23 PM   #9
big al hunter

Too many people repeat things that they hear at the bar, gun shop, grocery store, BBQ grill, internet. Most of it is wrong but since it is repeated enough it sounds correct. The 22lr is just fine at short distances. Most people just can't get a coyote any closer than 200 yards and then believe that nothing less than a 223 will kill one. If you can hit 'em in the right spot it will kill 'em just as dead with less damage to the pelt.