The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 31, 2000, 07:16 PM   #1
Godspeed

I am looking to buy an auto to take backpacking (ie gets dropped in the mud). It needs to be reliable in the face of abuse, (without cleaning) and must be lightweight. First I looked at Glocks, but they are quite heavy.

Why are Glocks so reliable?

Does this reliability extend to other polomyer framed guns? eg taurus 145?

------------------
Best Regards,
Godspeed
Old October 31, 2000, 07:35 PM   #2
Red Bull

Glocks are heavy? Hm, if you think that, then your choices are limited.

If a Glock is too heavy, then maybe a Kahr Polymer 9mm or a Kel Tec 9mm (mine has been %100 reliable) or a snubby .38.

Anyway, I am a huge Glock fan, but it must be said that most modern designed, quality firearms, are very reliable. Glock may have lead the wave of reliable autos, but it is not alone any more. When Glock came out, most cops only carried revolvers because the option was a notoriously unreliable auto which shall remain nameless. Reliability is why cops carried a revolver for all the years up until the Glock, and why they laughed at anyone that would carry a semi auto "jammamatic" that might fail at the worst time. Anyway, the Glock was introduced to Police (who universally chose it to replace their revolvers because it is so reliable) as well as world military in the late 1980's and it's extreme durability as well as reliability in all conditions carved a path for semi autos. Since then, many makers have started making more reliable autos. People will argue with me, no doubt, about the last part that I just said, but the point is, that since that time there have been a large number of reliable autos put onto the market. From HK to Sig to Glock, and some others, there are many that are extremely reliable.

Recent gov't tests did show the Glock to be by far the most reliable of many modern guns tested, but in a few other tests, the other guns (Sigs and HKS among others) were shown to be just as reliable. In the end, unless you get a lemon, they are all reliable.

As to why the Glock is reliable, I will leave that to others to go into, but part of it is the simplicity of the design. Some people may say that they have a loose chamber that makes them feed better, but that is incorrect if you account for the fully supported 9mm, which is arguably the most durable and reliable of all of them.

All my Glocks, (the .45's I shoot the most these days) have been %100 reliable. But, so have my Sigs and HK's. I only have had one kind of gun has not been reliable in all the guns I have owned, and that has been a few really nice expensive 1911's. All the rest of my quality guns have been %100 reliable.

So, it is not true anymore that Glock has the only reliable guns on the market. But, it is arguable that it might be the most reliable gun in all conditions, there are other very reliable guns out there as well.

If you want a gun for backpacking, and want something light and durable I would think Glock would be number one. The only gun on the market that can hang with a Glock in real durability might be an HK USP but they are larger, and, my HK USP rusts! (I don't care what HK says about their "Harsh Conditions" coating, my USP rusts even though it is well taken care of). In my experience and in tests shown, you are correct that if you want a gun you can get dirty, wet, muddy, cold etc and it will still shoot, then go with a Glock.
I would personally suggest a Glock 32 in .357 Sig for your use, because for the small package it is extremely accurate (in the wild, you may need to take longer shots) and it packs a whole lot of power in the small package.

[This message has been edited by Red Bull (edited October 31, 2000).]
Old October 31, 2000, 08:18 PM   #3
WalterGAII

Glocks are reliable because there are no DemocRATs on the assembly line. It's just that simple.
Old October 31, 2000, 09:48 PM   #4
loknload

Nothing heavy about my Md# 27

------------------
We preserve our freedoms by using four boxes: soap,ballot,jury, and cartridge.
Anonymous
Old October 31, 2000, 10:10 PM   #5
Russell92

heavy?????? glock????????

and to answer your second question first (just one of those days ) no IMNSHO no other gun is as reliable as a glock. and if a gun was to be as reliable as a glock it definetly wouldn't be a Taurus. i think Berettas, Sigs and HKs are very reliable but they require a lot more maitanence compared to a glock.

glocks are extreemly reliable for many reasons. some big reasons are their simplicity (MANY fewer parts than most other guns) and theier tolerances. glocks don't have as tight tolerances as Sigs for example so some dirt can get in there and their still work. also glocks will function without any lubrication (wouldn't advice it though) whereas many other guns need to be fairly heavily oiled to work properly.
Old October 31, 2000, 11:53 PM   #6
PreserveFreedom

My Glock is so light that I forget it is on my hip sometimes....and I think you would have to try pretty hard to jam one.

Old November 1, 2000, 01:23 AM   #7
taco

Atleast in 9mm I think loose chamber has alot to do with their reliablilty. I can usually tell that a particular brass (especially with +P ammo) was shot with Glock by the amount of pressure required to resize the brass. Just my $0.02
Old November 1, 2000, 01:40 AM   #8
355sigfan

Godspeed
GLocks heavy are you insane. Glocks weigh about 23 ounces while most da revolvers weigh up to 44 ounces. GLocks are light.
PAT

------------------
I intend to go into harms way.
Old November 3, 2000, 09:09 PM   #9
therealkaos

heavy? i cant think of a ligher pistol in a similar size than a glock.

as for why they are so reliable, i agree with the loose chamber comment above. also they have fewer parts than most other pistols.

one other possibility is that since they are really kind of a plain jane looking pistol. with no money or engineering wasted on looks or "bells and whistles", all the effort and focus is on reliability.

i dont own a glock yet, but i will soon. their reputation is well deserved.
Old November 3, 2000, 09:17 PM   #10
Badger Arms

Reliability is a product of sound design, quality manufacturing, and rigorous quality control. No single design is necessarily more reliable than another unless it is made that way. The glock is a simple and sound design that if forgiving of cartridge variations. Beyond that, Glock is wary of quality control issues and builds their guns to tight tolerances.

The Taurus automatics -- save the full-sized Italian knock-offs -- are notoriously UNreliable.
Old November 3, 2000, 09:57 PM   #11
racegunner

A Glock would be my recommendation...A model 36 is nice for bigger threats and still small and light or a model 26 for those biker-chipmunk attacks!

If you are unfamilier with handguns go with a revolver first or spend many hours and thousands of rounds (yes I said thousands as in about 2 thousand) practicing over a period of a 2-3 months.

Most imporant KNOW THE LAWS of the areas you backpack. In Michigan I've heard that DNR officers frown upon hikers that carry in THEIR land without a hunting license and CCW. Und ins Federal land das ist verboten!
Old November 4, 2000, 02:43 AM   #12
denfoote

Every once in a while in the cosmic order of things, a man, and an idea come together to better the universe. One such man was Albert Einstein. Another is Gaston Glock. His grand design is both radical and simple. For example, get rid of the external safety. Incorporate it into the trigger. Less parts, less to go wrong. From an engineering point of view, that is a thing of beauty.

All you have to know is that Glocks have been proven to be reliable. Enbrace the Dark Side my son. You will not regret it !!!

------------------
Yeah, I got a permit to carry,it's called the friggin Constitution.---Ted Nugent

"Glock 26: 17 rounds of concealed carry DEATH comming your way from out of nowhere!!! THAT'S FIREPOWER, BABY!!!"

Taurus 605: Five hits of .357 MAG that will just ruin your day, Scumbag!!!!
Old November 4, 2000, 03:28 AM   #13
Kengs

Don't overlook the design and quality of the Glock's magazines.

------------------
Old November 4, 2000, 01:11 PM   #14
Quantum Singularity

I don't know the exact reaons why Glocks are so reliable, but I would guess one reason might be that there are few parts in a Glock. The G17 only has about 34 parts--far fewer things that can go wrong than with most other makes.
Old November 4, 2000, 02:08 PM   #15
Badger Arms

Denfoote, I'll have to disagree that Gaston Glock is in the same category with Einstein. Let me list a few designers I think were ten times the designer that Glock was: John Moses Browning. John Pedersen. Samuel Colt. William Ruger. Eugene Stoner. John Garand. James Lee. Charles Ross. Glock would be about halfway down a list of the top 100 designers of all time.

In truth, there is not a single revolutionary aspect of the Glock Design. Glock is a superb industrialist and the product is excellent, but more credit should go to Browning than to Glock for the design of the Glock series of pistols.

The trigger safety is not a revolution. It isn't even a minor step. It is a variation of what other designers had done already with the hammer block safety engaged by rearward movement of the trigger. Glock's design complicated the situation with an obtrusive, excessive lever necessitating a larger trigger guard and trigger reach. Lowering the number of parts in a gun was a hallmark of Ruger design. Plastic framed guns had been used on scores of other guns like the VP-70 and Nylon 66.

Don't get me wrong, I love glocks. We should, however, give credit where credit is due. It's the manufacturing and quality, not the so-called brilliant design.

------------------
God made us in his own image.
Thomas Jefferson made us free.
John Browning made us equal.

Without Browning, we might not know about the other two...
Old November 4, 2000, 02:36 PM   #16
denfoote

Badgerarms,

Understand me you do not. Confusion sense I now in your words. Brought together are they by God. A better place the universe is, I think. Better designers there have been. Ideas there are many. Implementors there are few. Fusion of both rarer still!!!!!

------------------
Yeah, I got a permit to carry,it's called the friggin Constitution.---Ted Nugent

"Glock 26: 17 rounds of concealed carry DEATH comming your way from out of nowhere!!! THAT'S FIREPOWER, BABY!!!"

Taurus 605: Five hits of .357 MAG that will just ruin your day, Scumbag!!!!
Old November 4, 2000, 03:48 PM   #17
Gino

Godspeed,

As a former backpacker, I understand your comment on Glocks being heavy. EVERYTHING in a backpack is heavy and every couple of ounces counts. All of the current 9mm and above guns are going to be "heavy" except maybe a Kahr P9 or a Titanium 38 stubbie.

If you are SURE that it has to be a 9mm and its going to be dropped in the mud, a Glock is the only way to go. The Tenifer finish is the best finish if you're talking about HARD, WET use.

The best gun for backpacking idea I've come up with is a North American Arms 22 mag minirevolver (the Minimaster with a 4" barrel). This is a SMALL, LIGHT, stainless steel five shoot 22mag that can be stored almost anywhere because of its size. Put it in a zip lock baggie and it will survive your trip.

Just my 2 cents,
Gino
Old November 4, 2000, 04:57 PM   #18
Kengs

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I am looking to buy an auto to take backpacking (ie gets dropped in the mud). It needs to be reliable in the face of abuse, (without cleaning) and must be lightweight.[/quote]

Godspeed,

For backpacking, you should give the Keltec .32 serious consideration. It is compact, THIN (SEE COMPARISION PHOTO VS. MY GLOCK 26) and RELIABLE. The mags are made by Mec-Gar. Have not had a single failure after 200+ rounds.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Kengs (edited November 04, 2000).]
Old November 4, 2000, 04:58 PM   #19
gitarmac

My glock is lighter than my snubbie. When I backpack I usually just carry one of my tiny .25 cal mouse guns when I backpack. Where I backpack there aren't large dangerous animals to speak of, I just like to have something instead of nothing at all.
Old November 4, 2000, 07:07 PM   #20
Commygun

They're not. I've had a Glock 23 and a 27 and
they both had several failures to feed.
Old November 4, 2000, 11:02 PM   #21
J. Parker

Godspeed; Why are Glocks so reliable? Why are Beretta's so reliable? Why are Ruger's so reliable? Why are H&K's so reliable? Glock's are no more or less reliable than any other fine pistol. Weight? How about a G-30? or G-29? Lightweight and powerful? How about one of those Titanium .357 magnums? If I was a backpacker and concerned about weight I'd consider a S&W (used) Mountain Gun of some kind. If you're in the woods go for more calibre not less. Best, J. Parker
Old November 5, 2000, 12:06 AM   #22
smoney

well, glocks are reliable because they don't jam

many other guns are rather reliable, but i think i will stick with my tactical tupperware until something better comes along.

------------------
454Casull when it absolutely Has to be destroyed.
Old November 6, 2000, 01:16 AM   #23
Badger Arms

Def, My head is spinning. Pederson, Browning, Ruger, and Colt all did a very good job of making good guns. Glock is a one hit wonder, IMO. That hit is a pretty good one, mind you, but like Kalashnikov, none of his ideas were revolutionary. Honestly, I don't know if I'm agreeing or disagreeing here. Nevermind.

In the cosmic order of Firearms Religion, Browning Would be God, Pedersen Jesus, Ruger, and Colt might be the in the running. I'd have to make Glock and Kalashnikov Saints.
Old November 6, 2000, 02:22 AM   #24
parabellum

Glock a one hit wonder? Interesting take on the situation. I see what you mean. Nevertheless...

I think one of the key factors with the Glock is that Herr Glock and his design engineers started with a blank sheet. Gaston Glock had no firearms background, and thus was never constrained by the "it's-just-not-done-that-way" attitude.
As to the particulars of why Glocks work so well, I'll leave that to someone else. Suffice to say that, one hit wonder or not, Glocks do work well. Well enough that one has been my constant companion for years.
Old November 6, 2000, 06:01 AM   #25
viper

Why are Glocks so reliable?

1) Austrian craftsmanship. The Austrians and Germans are known to be superlative machinists and manufacturers. Basically just a very high level of manufacture.

2)Battle proven design. The gun is basically a simplified and strengthened Browning tilting barrel design.

3)Does not utilize full length slide rails like many other semi-autos. The slide actually rides on short, hardened steel inserts that are more effective in extricating granules of sand and dirt particles than full length guide rails. This is one of the reasons Glocks did better in Desert Storm than Berettas did. The other reason is the closed slide design.

4)Glocks don't need as much lubrication as other designs because of the slide rail/steel insert situation mentioned above. Less lubrication means less gunk for dirt to stick to. This aspect alone probably contributed to Beretta malfunctions in the desert. Less need for lubrication also means you have more margin for error when your gun starts going dry.

5)Glocks have much fewer parts than competing designs--usually 33 to 35 parts in total, depending on the model. Less parts, less to go wrong.

6)Because of the polymer and strength of the design, the gun is more durable than just about everything else, and can simply take more punishment. The more abuse a gun can take, the less chance it will malfunction when you really need it.

7)Glocks are virtually rustproof. Rust can mess with reliability. No rust, one less thing to screw you when the chips are down.

8)Glocks are some of the most highly tested and used guns in the world among military forces and law enforcement agencies(both standard and elite units), various high level government agencies, and the civilian population of the United States(we are the only large scale population in the world with rights to private firearm ownership). Glock therefore receives a lot of feedback from people who use their guns in the field for dangerous assignments and missions.

9)Glock, using information gleened from its customers, has constantly sought to improve their guns with updates in design, materials, and coatings of the various parts. This striving for constant improvement of the product only serves to increase the reliability and longevity of their pistols.

Anyway, hope that helps.

------------------
Let's just hope we don't get Gore'd in November.
I don't know about everyone else, but I'd much
rather get some Bush.