The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 30, 2023, 12:53 PM   #26
Ricklin

Especially reloads, but always!

Squibs do happen. I have had one with admittedly my own reloads. Not pulling the trigger again made it a non event. Primer only, a brass rod drove the plated bullet out of the bore, no harm to my Glock 19.
Not doing "mag dumps" is an excellent way to avoid the damage that results from a squib load. While I won't guess the percentage. Chances are very high that your squib will be just like my squib.
The secret? NOT pulling the trigger again when a squib occurs. It's not the squib that does the damage, plenty of photos online reveal a bore full of bullets. When "something" does not feel right? Stop and find out why.
Old December 30, 2023, 02:40 PM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

Modern "combat" training has huge potential to turn a squib into a serious problem.

The root cause being, of course the shooter (always) but the focus on failure drills (tap, rack, bang) and getting the gun back in action ASAP can be a problem.

Its not a failure of concept, but of practical execution.

IF a failure drill is part of the training (dummy round, etc.) that's fine. But when it isn't a planned event, doing the failure drill (tap, rack, bang, or just pulling the trigger again -DA revolver) is the WRONG thing to do.

Doesn't matter how "real" you're trying to make the training, its only training. ANYTIME (indeed EVERYTIME) you get an abnormal result, STOP. Training is, at that point, over. Abnormal report, recoil, no bullet strike visible, etc., you stop, and figure out what happened, and why.

Stop, make safe, find out what happened, and why, deal with and correct the problem, and THEN, you can resume training.

Anything else risks damage to your gun, and possibly yourself.
Old December 31, 2023, 06:56 AM   #28
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricklin View Post
Squibs do happen. I have had one with admittedly my own reloads. Not pulling the trigger again made it a non event. Primer only, a brass rod drove the plated bullet out of the bore, no harm to my Glock 19.
Not doing "mag dumps" is an excellent way to avoid the damage that results from a squib load. While I won't guess the percentage. Chances are very high that your squib will be just like my squib.
The secret? NOT pulling the trigger again when a squib occurs. It's not the squib that does the damage, plenty of photos online reveal a bore full of bullets. When "something" does not feel right? Stop and find out why.
As a general rule a squib in a semi auto won’t cycle the action thereby alerting you that something isn’t right, so don’t just eject the empty and reload and pull the trigger. Revolvers is where you’re more likely to run into trouble, but sometimes the bullet will only lodge in the forcing cone alerting you to a problem. Unfortunately rectifying this problem in a revolver is more involved, but if you’re lucky you can drive the bullet back into the case and free up the cylinder. So basically it’s much more risky shooting a revolver rapid fire than a semi auto when it comes to squibs.
Old December 31, 2023, 02:39 PM   #29
Ricklin

Even if it is a race.

Is the recoil not right? Stop!
Is the report abnormal? Stop!
The above does not apply when using a self defense pistol for self defense. In the case of a failure then? Be happy you carry an all steel 1911, they make a marvelous bludgeon.
Old January 1, 2024, 10:11 AM   #30
NEPrepper

what pistol is that?
Old January 1, 2024, 02:36 PM   #31
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Be happy you carry an all steel 1911, they make a marvelous bludgeon.
No, not really. Pistols and rifles are poorly shaped and balanced to make the best clubs. They are, however, effective ENOUGH when used correctly. And the heavier they are, the more effective they are as an impact weapon.
Old January 1, 2024, 04:04 PM   #32
mehavey

>
> Wyatt soon proved to be a daunting police officer. He knew how to use his Remington
> pistol, and he kept his skills sharp with frequent sessions of target practice.
> However, Wyatt also liked the Remington because it had a strap that made it an
> effective club: whenever possible, he preferred to pistol-whip his opponents rather
> than shoot them.
>
> Contrary to the popular image of Earp as a prolific gunfighter, there is no documented
> case of him being involved in a gunfight before the infamous "showdown" at the OK
> Corral in Tombstone, Arizona. Over six feet tall, Earp typically subdued drunks and
> toughs with firm persuasion or a sharp crack to the back of the head with his revolver,
> a practice known as "buffaloing."
>
> After a few hours sleep, the Earp brothers awoke to hear reports that Clanton had
> continued to threaten the Earps and Holliday through the morning. Virgil and Morgan
> found him near Allen Street. Virgil grabbed Clanton's rifle and used his own revolver
> to club Clanton to the ground. The two Earps dragged Clanton into a Tombstone
> courtroom and charged him with violating a town ordinance that prohibited the
> carrying of firearms in public places. Wyatt Earp, arriving at the courtroom to help,
>took to badgering Clanton, calling him a "damned dirty cow thief" and expressing a
> willingness to fight him "anywhere on earth." Clanton responded in kind, telling him
> that "Fight is my racket." After paying $25, Clanton was allowed to leave without his
> rifle.
>
>Wyatt Earp ran into Tom McLaury just as he left the courthouse. Still in bad temper,
> Earp pulled out his revolver and whacked McLaury on the head and shoulder, sending
> him spilling into the street. ... A showdown was coming.
>

Years ago when I began to read more detailed histories of the Earps and their times,
the facts above from multiple sources, accounts and separate incidents stood out time
after time. They tended to use their guns as clubs, and not as 'firearms. per se.
Old January 1, 2024, 08:35 PM   #33
2damnold4this

Quote:
what pistol is that?

The handgun in the OP picture is a S&W 342pd.