The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 30, 2015, 06:39 PM   #26
TailGator

My wife goes shooting with me most of the time, looks over my shoulder when I am ogling pistols online and gives her opinion, and, believe it or not, we bought the reloading press together as a joint anniversary gift. I do the vast majority of operating it, but she knows the basics and is pleased to have unlimited ammo at low cost.

I have actually made the comparison between knitting (or crocheting, or sewing) to making ammo, in that it is a craft-type hobby that makes something useful, engages in repeated actions in patterns, relaxing to those who enjoy it.
Old September 30, 2015, 10:22 PM   #27
jmorris

I really don't get the "don't care" folks. That is the future. If I didn't care about what girls thought, I wouldn't shoot much at all these days.

I read enough "my wife doesn't like guns/reloading" threads already and I cringe at what they are missing.

As well as guys that shun the lady's.

They grow into what they know.
Old September 30, 2015, 11:03 PM   #28
sghart3578

The OP asked about our wive's feelings, not the feelings of the other women in our life. I shoot guns and reload, I don't ask my wife what she thinks about it or if she likes it. It is as much a part of me as eating or breathing and I wouldn't stop those if she asked.

Now my daughter and granddaughter are different stories but the OP didn't ask about them.

My daughter has been shooting, hunting, fishing and reloading with me for 25 years, all with my wife's blessing. Now that I have a granddaughter she loads with Papa, shoots and fishes too. She loves going to the gun shows and stores with me and the gun guys love a little girl to talk about guns with.

True story; when my daughter was 14 she had an anti-gun teacher that brought up firearms in class. Most of the kids were toeing the "guns are bad" line but my daughter told the teacher "I don't like handguns." The teacher was very happy until my daughter added "I'm a much better shot with my rifle". The teacher related this story to us at a parent/teacher conference.

So my point is don't read too much into people's responses. I don't factor my wife's concern into the equation. But don't assume I am anti woman or that I don't involve the ladies in my family. Shooting with them gives me some of my greatest joy.
Old September 30, 2015, 11:33 PM   #29
cfisel

My wife calls my reload room/area the mancave. She dosnt mind my reloading due the the money saved. But she does comment that everything seems to cost $100 every time I need to buy something.....
Old October 1, 2015, 01:58 AM   #30
briandg

I can't say that she gets my cigar collection, either. My reloading/shooting room also has well over a thousand cigars peacefully aging in controlled conditions.

She'd love to see that hobby go away, it's kind of expensive.
Old October 1, 2015, 04:54 AM   #31
Mike Irwin
Staff

What's she think of it?

Beats me, I got rid of her years ago.

But kept the reloading stuff.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 1, 2015, 05:33 AM   #32
LE-28

Mine doesn't care, she knows what the ammunition would cost if I had to buy it. That's enough for her.
Old October 1, 2015, 06:30 AM   #33
Real Gun

I reload, shoot, and own more guns than I "need", because I am not burdened by justifying it to a high maintenance mate, who thinks that all money should be for her nest and security.
Old October 1, 2015, 09:05 AM   #34
evtSmtx

When I first had enough reloads through my guns that I was confident enough to let my wife light some off in her sig, I had a series of loads for her to try from 1 - powder puff titegroup load, to 5 - very,very warm power pistol loads all in 115 gr jhp. The results were:

1) kinda wimpy
2) less wimpy
3) ok
4) that's better
5) that was GOOD! Do we have any more of those?(um, yeah a few thousand)
Old October 1, 2015, 09:09 AM   #35
sghart3578

"I reload, shoot, and own more guns than I "need", because I am not burdened by justifying it to a high maintenance mate, who thinks that all money should be for her nest and security."

Plus 1 on that!
Old October 1, 2015, 10:04 AM   #36
Panfisher

As long as I keep her supply of .243 Hunting Reloads up and let her shoot her rifle and my AR anytime she wants she is happy. Also as long as I retrieve and process her deer as well, and make sure her shooting house/blind is ready.
Old October 1, 2015, 10:24 AM   #37
Pahoo

Good work !!!

jmorris
I find your reply to be priceless and kind of says it all as it speaks volumes. Thanks for sharing. If you haven't already realized it, this is the best work you will ever do. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old October 1, 2015, 01:36 PM   #38
Carriertxv

Each to their own but I'm just about 60 and look around at some of my friends who for various reasons either never got married or divorced and most of them are pretty damn lonely and angry at the world. Now I also know some who are very happy with being by themselves but most are in the first group.
I just know that I am so glad that my wife and kids enjoy all aspects of the gun culture that I do. It wasn't always like that in the early years but I am a happy man.
Old October 1, 2015, 03:30 PM   #39
sawdustdad

My wife bought me my first gun--a Remington 870 pump. That was 40 years ago. She doesn't shoot (no aversion, just not interested) and doesn't pay much attention to my hobbies.

Quote:
My guns often "multiply in the safe," and I'm the only one who knows
My safe is a similarly fertile environment...
Old October 1, 2015, 03:42 PM   #40
Wendyj

My husband got me interested in this so we could afford to shoot more. Before that I only went to indoor ranges with him to learn to shoot my pistol. Everyone needs a hobby and it's a chance to learn something new everyday. It also gives us more time to spend together. And truth be told I wasn't interested in at first. More guns, more dies, more scopes. Less money. Lol.
Old October 1, 2015, 06:34 PM   #41
Bosn Ski

Last year...

Wife, "You are not going to the range as often, why?"
Me, "Ammo is expensive."
Wife, "Can you make your own bullets?"
Me, "Uhh, why yes I can! It will cost a little up front..."
Wife, "Get to it. What do you want for Christmas?"

Great woman she is!
Old October 1, 2015, 06:55 PM   #42
Hammer1

My wife bought me two Dillon 1050's and a Spolar and built me a 2,000 square foot reloading room to put them in.

The other reloading stuff I had to get on my own.
Old October 1, 2015, 07:45 PM   #43
rtpzwms

Mine tells me to shut up and load. She wants to shoot this weekend! Keeping up with two shooters in the house can get a little tough. I ran out of 40 S&W RN bullets this morning! Another trip to pick some up and we're back in business.
Old October 1, 2015, 09:06 PM   #44
Overkill777

My wife is a penny pincher so she loves the money saving aspect of it. Also a bit of a prepper so pretty supportive of stockpiling too.
Old October 1, 2015, 09:58 PM   #45
huntinaz

My wife picks her battles. She's given up on this one.
Old October 2, 2015, 06:08 AM   #46
Dozermonkey

Mine tells me or commands me also .....

To reload more wadcutters when SHE is low !
Old October 2, 2015, 03:58 PM   #47
TailGator

Quote:
My wife calls my reload room/area the mancave.
My reloading stand shares a room with my gun safe, exercise equipment, the dog's crate, and a TV and chair where I retreat to watch ball games when my wife is watching Dancing With The Stars. The room was once a bedroom for my daughter, and I have decorated the walls with vintage heirloom tools and tin signs related to firearms. In short, I have replaced everything except the curtains: sheer blue fabric with beads. The family therefore refers to my room as "the frilly man cave."
Old October 2, 2015, 04:28 PM   #48
4runnerman

Mine also refers to it as the Man Cave. She is 100% supportive of me ( Great Wife ) . She does not shoot with me to often, but never gives me a hard time about it. Most times she is the one that say's- Why don't you go shooting.
Old October 2, 2015, 05:13 PM   #49
BoogieMan

"I really don't care what she thinks". Man that sucks. The day I stop caring what my wife thinks is the day we are dividing up our belongings.
Mutual respect and uncontrollable lust.
That's how we roll.
Other than that she knows I have to ocupy my hands all the time.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old October 2, 2015, 08:42 PM   #50
sghart3578

out

Last edited by sghart3578; October 4, 2015 at 05:46 AM.