The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 24, 2017, 08:57 AM   #76
Mike_Fontenot

My exclusive primary EDC is a S&W69 5-shot 4-1/4" L-Frame .44mag. It's a DA/SA revolver, but I only shoot it SA ... I HATE DA. The recoil of the .44mag is so high that the cocking (with my weak thumb) between shots adds negligible followup-shot time. I would use DA only in the event that the bad guy was right on top of me, and accuracy was unimportant. A pure SA gun's biggest disadvantage is slower reloading time.
Old April 24, 2017, 10:13 AM   #77
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy Again

I shoot single action revolvers all the time. If I may say so I am very good with one. However, if my life depended on it, I would never carry a single action revolver. I would want that fast first shot if I really needed it.

Regarding concealment, where I live, if a firearm was not well concealed, although not strictly against the law, it would probably attract the attention of a law enforcement officer if he happened to notice. There would probably be a conversation about it. So concealed carry that is not noticeable is the best option where I live.

All up to your local requirements and your particular situation.
Old April 24, 2017, 10:50 AM   #78
Real Gun

Someday we'll see concealed carry as a choice rather than a requirement, removing the failure to conceal argument. I like the middle ground where outright open carry is not okay in many situations, but covering the weapon is sufficient, no requirement that it be a secret that you are carrying and no problem for unintentional reveal.

As far as I know, authorities in SC are not antagonistic to concealed carry and not confrontational about suspecting someone is carrying.
Old April 24, 2017, 11:36 AM   #79
Driftwood Johnson

Of course the other thing to consider is if you happen to find yourself in a situation such as a robbery where there are several citizens present, and the perp happens to be nervous, the citizen who is obviously armed may be the first target.
Old April 24, 2017, 12:07 PM   #80
Real Gun

Yes, I think that's valid and have read a number of those hand wringing scenarios, but I believe that applies much more to open carry.
Old April 24, 2017, 01:03 PM   #81
Hanshi

I was asked once, "which do you prefer,revolvers or autos"? My answer was YES. First, see what feels better to you; various makes, sizes, etc, and decide what to get from there. For an all around gun a 4" barrel can't be beat. A 2-1/2" is marginal but not a 2". I recommend checking the used gun display as many fine discontinued models are available.