The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 8, 2018, 09:43 AM   #26
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindANewSlant View Post
are possums/skunks bad catches?
Used to be a market for both hides, not worth much, but something. Most possums I let lay or used for bait. I never had the desire to skin a skunk(even tho they used to be worth $10), but they always made for a good fox set, similar to a manure set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Stony View Post
One time I even caught a large domestic tom cat in one, but that's very rare. Getting that cat out without shooting it was a challenge, but I got it done. He was sure in a bad mood !
Whenever I nuisance trapped near buildings, I used live traps. Anytime I caught a cat out in the woods, a long ways from human habitation, I considered it feral and it was dealt with accordingly.
Old September 8, 2018, 08:27 PM   #27
Mobuck

"Any leg hold trap is inhumane."

You're kidding, right?
Old September 8, 2018, 09:35 PM   #28
Ben Dover

No, I'm not. Many times an animal will chew it's foot off to get out of a leg hold trap. It's a fairly common occurence.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old September 9, 2018, 08:50 AM   #29
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobuck View Post
"Any leg hold trap is inhumane."

You're kidding, right?
Isn't that the whole premise behind the banning of leg hold traps? Regardless of what has been inferred here, it's not really about the accidental catching of dogs.

Traps can be divided into three general categories: 1) those that hold the animal by the foot or leg (foothold): 2) those that hold the animal by the body and are usually intended to kill the animal (body-gripping or conibear type); 3) those that enclose the animal (box or cage type). This is why even "Dog Proof" traps are considered "leg hold".

The premise of ethics and what is or is not humane has been the argument against trapping and the wearing of fur for decades. Anyone that had trapped knows that trapping is not a pretty business or hobby, especially to those with a soft spot in their heart for wild animals. While most folks don't get queasy when viewing a skunk or possum in a leg hold trap, a cute red or grey fox in distress, with a bloody foot or two caught in a trap chained to a stake, makes them turn their head. Even when I trapped and was excited to catch a fox, I did not enjoy the sight, and always tried to put the animal down as quickly as possible. I doubt very much if there is a difference in the type and amount of pain that Fido experiences when caught in a 'yote set, as a 'yote feels.
Old September 9, 2018, 08:54 AM   #30
Ben Dover

Well said, Buck

Old September 10, 2018, 04:35 PM   #31
Mobuck

"No, I'm not. Many times an animal will chew it's foot off to get out of a leg hold trap. It's a fairly common occurence."
You know this from experience or just what PETA dude told you?
Old September 10, 2018, 04:43 PM   #32
Ben Dover

I know it from having seen it a dozen times or more.! Coyotes, skunks and raccoons, and foxes.

I don't pay any attention to PETA, they're idiots.

But I do not believe it is moral or ethical to inflict pain on helpless animals.

Old September 11, 2018, 07:48 AM   #33
Mobuck

Guess we'll have to agree to differ.
I don't feel it's moral or ethical to allow nest predators to exterminate any/all ground or marsh nesting birds and have no qualms about removing varmints any way possible.
I live in the real world and wild critters that infringe on my part of that world get whacked.
Old September 11, 2018, 08:25 AM   #34
reinert

FindANewSlant,

If you're really considering trapping fur bearers, read buck460's post #6 again and again. It pretty much sums up a real trapper's credo. Right on, buck460, indeed. BTW, FANS, do you know anyone who is a serious, accomplished trapper? If you do, and if you can, go with that person on his/her trapline to get first hand knowledge on what it's all about. And really, try to go with that person on the coldest, crappiest day imaginable.

The knowledge from going with a person with good trapping skills as such, will help you with your own decision to do the deal right. And that regards the best possible way to treat the animal in the trap from set to buyer. Daily, is the watchword if you want to be a real trapper.
Old September 11, 2018, 08:35 AM   #35
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobuck View Post
Guess we'll have to agree to differ.
I don't feel it's moral or ethical to allow nest predators to exterminate any/all ground or marsh nesting birds and have no qualms about removing varmints any way possible.
I live in the real world and wild critters that infringe on my part of that world get whacked.
Predators only do what God intended them to do. Unlike Humans they don't kill because of emotions or jealousy. They don't have any morals or ethics. There's a reason the word "Humane" has the word "human" in it. The real world does not dictate that folks living in the continental U.S. "whack" every wild animal that intrudes upon their self imposed space. .

That said, predators and nuisance animals, like prey and game animals, need to have their populations controlled here in the lower 48. For our sake and theirs. While I understand those folks that believe leg hold traps are inhumane, I also understand that sometimes what we have to work with to control animal populations are not always pretty. Still, most of us do it in the quickest and most humane way possible to us. Folks will always argue the line between what is and what is not humane when it comes to controlling predators and nuisance animals. Just like the arguments as to how to put our own pets out of their misery when the time comes.
Old September 11, 2018, 09:04 AM   #36
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Back to the where/how/what, please. Enough on the morals.
Old September 11, 2018, 09:43 AM   #37
Mobuck

OK, back on track.
I'll reiterate that "learning" to trap the smaller (dumber) critters is easier, cheaper, and is more likely to give some positive results vs "starting at the top" with predators(coyote and bobcat).
There's a lot more to learn than simply how to set a trap. Far more important is WHERE to set a trap cause if you don't set it where a critter is passing regularly, you're not going to catch much.