The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 25, 2018, 11:34 PM   #1
wmg1299

Any Experience with the Mossberg 464?

I have recently become curious about lever guns, and will probably pick one up this year. I'm not looking to break the bank on my first lever gun purchase, and have narrowed it down to the Marlin 336 or the Mossberg 464. I've met many shooters who either own or have owned a 336, but do not know any 464 owners. Do any of you have first-hand experience with the 464, and what did you think of the gun?
Old March 26, 2018, 08:52 AM   #2
COSteve

Having owned a pre-'64 Win 94 and Marlin 336 some 40yrs ago, I wanted a thudy-thudy that had a better action and felt better at the shoulder. Neither of the current versions we acceptable to me so I thought I'd just pass on one as I don't 'need' one for hunting here in the West.

A friend got an early Mossberg 464 with the extractor issue that once resolved by Mossberg seemed to work well, however, I wasn't a fan of his birch stock. His shot very well, had a decently crisp action and trigger and great Marbles sights straight from the factory.

So, when I found out that Mossberg was releasing a pistol grip version with a walnut stock, it got my attention. After checking it out at the local funstore, I plunked down my money on a NIB walnut beauty, took it home, and spent 1 night cycling the action after a good clean to smooth out the action.

At the range I was very pleasantly surprised at it's performance, smoothness, and decent trigger. The Marbles sights are perfect for it as well and with some 5 different loads of my handloads in both 150 and 170grn and some 150grn X-Treme plated plinking loads I also worked up, I proceeded to test it out.

Even though my other longer range leverguns have a tang sight, this carbine isn't set up for one so I used the stock sights and had a go at bowling pins at 200yds. I was pleasantly surprised to do quite well on them as this little carbine is a shooter.

Now, after some 6 yrs and well over 500rds of zero problem fun shooting, it's a real favorite. Crisp cycling, good shooting, and just a fun 30-30, it's a keeper.

Old March 27, 2018, 03:12 PM   #3
Guv

These have always caught my eye.
I have 2 old Mossberg 810's in 30-06 that were my Dad's.
I also have plenty of other much more expensive bolt guns that will not shoot any better than those 2 rifles.
Are the magazine/barrel bands steel or some kind of alloy?
That Walnut model is really sharp.
If they had it with a short magazine tube I would be needin to make some more space in my safe!
Old March 28, 2018, 07:26 AM   #4
Jack O'Conner

I own the limited model featuring 16 inch barrel, laminated stock with pistol grip, and marine coat finish. I mounted a Simmons scope featuring 2-7X settings and its my favorite carbine for Florida hog hunts.

Jack
Old March 28, 2018, 10:56 PM   #5
wmg1299

Thanks for the responses. I went ahead and picked one up today. It was between that and the Marlin 336, but stories about Marlin's quality since being bought out, along the recently announced bankruptcy of their new owner, convinced me to give Mossberg a try.
Old March 29, 2018, 11:32 AM   #6
3Crows

I do not know anything about the Mossberg, but I own four Marlin lever guns, two JM stamp and two REM stamped. The REM rifles are just as good if not better. My new 336SS is possibly the best Marlin I have ever had overall in terms of smoothness, cycling, accuracy and build. And I have owned a bunch of Marlins going back to the 60s.
Old March 29, 2018, 09:38 PM   #7
COSteve

As I've said somewhere on this forum before, I've owned both a pre '64 Marlin 336 and pre '64 Win '94. They were fine but not great. Slopp action and trigger on the '94 and fat stock and crummy trigger on the 336.

35 years ago they were what you had to choose from. It's 2018 now and you've got choices. For me, today, I'd choose the Mossberg 464 Walnut stocked 30-30 over the Winc or Marlin 336. Why? Because I think they are better.

You may argue or you may rant but I, as an owner of all three at one time or the other, choose the Mossberg 464 over both the Win '94 and the Marlin 336.
Old March 29, 2018, 10:12 PM   #8
youngridge

Love my 464, great shooter. I would say over 500 rounds for sure through it the last 4 years, but doubtfully over 1000. No problems.

Part of me wants to put a scope with under peep sights on it, the other part of me says don’t. No complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old April 1, 2018, 09:28 AM   #9
COSteve

Scope on a levergun!!! Blasphemy!!
Old April 1, 2018, 11:15 AM   #10
straightshooterjake

Quote:
Originally Posted by COSteve View Post
Scope on a levergun!!! Blasphemy!!
I used to have the same thoughts. But as my vision has changed, so has my opinion. Now when I see a scope on a levergun, I think that it may belong to someone who likes lever actions so much, that he has made painful compromises to keep using one.
Old April 1, 2018, 03:19 PM   #11
COSteve

No need for a scope on a levergun. There are a couple of ways to enable you to see your sights clearly even with poor eyesight. I'm 70 and my eyesight isn't good. I'm far-sighted with progressive lenses yet I can see my sights clearly using the principle of 'Depth of Field'. Look it up in Wikipedia and you'll understand why a pinhole camera, target aperture on a tang sight, target peep sight you get close to, and a simple piece of black electrical tape stuck to your shooting glasses work wonders.

I use this Rossi 357mag to shoot at steel plates at 300yds. With it's 30" long sight radius, it's a joy to shoot long distance with. With the .042" Target Aperture next to my eye, I can clearly see both the front sight and the target.

For my Mossberg and any other open sight firearm, including my pistols, I added a piece of electrical tape I punched out with a hole punch to my shooting glasses with a tiny hole I sight through that increases my DoF so that I can still see the front sight and target clearly. The tape is so close to my eye, I see the black 'donut' as a faint ghost that doesn't block my vision at all. It just gives me a clear area in side it. Yes, I shoot a bowling pins with my Mossberg as well, however, it's more of a challenge as the site radius is more like 16" on it.

On my Mini-14, I also added a .042" Target Aperture to the Mini200 rear sight and thinned the front sight blade to .050" wide giving me 'NM' sights like those on my M1A. I use both my 'NM' sighted M1A and my 'Mini M14' to shoot at bowling pins at 200yds with great success. I even give them a go at 300yds but that's a challenge!!

If you understand optics and the principles of aperture vs focal lengths, you can use these to great advantage.