The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 17, 2007, 08:27 PM   #1
Wingbone

beef/venison cuts

Gentleman,
I've heard many answers to this and still don't know the correct one. I call the 2 long, oval, strips of meat that run along each side of spine of a deer, the back straps. I call the 2 strips located in the cavity, toward the rear of the deer, the tender loins (the best meat in my opinion). What are these called on a cow? Some guys have told me the backstraps are the filet mignons, others have said the tenderloins (what I call the tenderloins) are. I've tried serching and have found many charts on beef but none have the 2 cavity strips on it. So? Any proffessional butchers out there? Thanks,
Ken
Old January 17, 2007, 09:27 PM   #2
gdvan01

On deer the 'stuff' on the back has been called either backstrap and/or tenderloin. The little critters on the inside of the deer...and damned tasty too...I always heard called "the fish".

I am not a butcher or an expert, that's just what I've always heard then called.
Old January 17, 2007, 09:33 PM   #3
Capp35

"Back Strap" and "Hanging Tenderloin"
Old January 18, 2007, 12:52 AM   #4
mete

Tenderloin or fillet [ in french Filet Mignon]
Old January 18, 2007, 12:24 PM   #5
NRA4life

Filet mignon is the center portions of the tenderloins located inside the cavity on a cow. What you (me and many) refer to as the backstraps on a deer are the rib steaks (or prime rib), porterhouse and T-Bones on a cow.
Old January 18, 2007, 01:17 PM   #6
castnblast

Correct. And as an FYI, the Sirloin is the cut from the hip (usually where the backstraps end all the way to the tail in a straight line cut from where you removed the backstrap.
Old January 18, 2007, 01:27 PM   #7
ride-a-aug

I call both of them tasty.
Old January 30, 2007, 06:26 PM   #8
el Divino

tenderloin (inside) and loin (outside)
Old January 30, 2007, 06:42 PM   #9
FirstFreedom

That's correct, the backstrap is actually called a loin, and from a cow produces filet steaks, such as "filet mignon", and the inner meat is called a tenderloin on both deer & cow. I like the loin just a smidge better than the tenderloin on a deer, myself, but they are both excellent.

The tenderloin from a cow is bigger than the loin on a deer!
Old January 30, 2007, 07:33 PM   #10
FrontSight

NRA4life has got it correct, I believe
Old January 30, 2007, 10:47 PM   #11
castnblast

o.k...I'll get a little more technical...

The loin is actually the whole hindquarter. The Sirloin...is that cut above the hip hence the prefix sir which I think means either above or adjoined to...I'm too lazy to check the actual meaning, but you get my drift. Your New York Strip would be that part of the backstrap which begins where the ribs end, and runs along the bone toward the hip bone. (there are those small bones along the spine...and is directly above the Tenderloin in the inside). Your Ribeye cut is that portion of the backstrap that runs from the back of the ribs up to the shoulder region. In front of that starts your chuck. The shoulder is where you get your 7 bone steak if you cut the shoulder w/ a meat saw directly across the shoulder blade. The brisket would be the meat that runs across the chest...in my case...I call that chili meat...along w/ the rib and interior and exterior flank...And the shoulders when I don't blow them to pieces...
Old January 31, 2007, 02:56 PM   #12
FrontSight

This link might help...you need Adobe to view it, tho:

http://www.angus.org/pubs/beefchart.pdf
Old January 31, 2007, 05:02 PM   #13
The Gamemaster

The back straps on a deer is also called the Chops in some parts of the world.

I get into fights all the time when people tell me that they ate the tenderloins for supper and I ask where they came from and the point to the back straps.

When you suggest to some people that the tenderloins are on the inside = they get grossed out and will even tell you that if you want them you can have them.

Funny thing was I gave a outlaw some tenderloins and they were starving and they said that they were stringy and not very good. That's the last time I ever try to help them out.

It takes several large deer to get enough tenderloins to make a meal for a whole family.
Old February 1, 2007, 02:27 PM   #14
NRA4life

Back Straps

Now these are the definitions of backstraps. Hopefully I got the picture attached right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Straps2.jpg (9.8 KB, 76 views)