Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 7, 2011, 06:44 PM   #1
Tom Givens

Ayoob/Givens Course in Memphis, July

Massad Ayoob, MAG-20 Course
July 30-31, 2011, Saturday-Sunday
Rangemaster, Memphis, TN

Armed Citizens’ Rules of Engagement

This is a two-day, 20-hour immersion course in rules of engagement for armed law-abiding private citizens, emphasizing legal issues, tactical issues, and aftermath management. Topics will include interacting with suspects, witnesses, responding police officers…threat recognition and mind-set…management of social and psychological aftermath after having had to use lethal force in defense of self or others…and preparing beforehand for legal repercussions and minimizing exposure to them. Situations in the home, at the place of business, or “on the street” will all be covered. Prerequisite: none.

This is a very intensive classroom course that runs from 8:00am until 6:00pm both days. The training will take place in the comfortable classrooms at Rangemaster, with modern audio/visual equipment. There are numerous hotels and restaurants literally within blocks of Rangemaster.

Optional Third Day
Handgun Skills, with Tom Givens
Monday, August 1, 2011

This is an intensive full day of live-fire range training on Rangemaster’s comfortable, air conditioned indoor range. Students will fire between 350 and 400 rounds of ammunition in drills designed to enhance marksmanship ability, ingrain gunhandling skills that will hold up under duress, and reinforce sound tactical principles. Both daylight and low light firing will be conducted and the class runs from 8:00 am until 6:00 pm. This class is not suitable for beginners.

COST
Tuition for MAG-20 is $400. The optional third day for live fire training is $200. A deposit of $200 will hold your space for either or both segments, with the balance due no later than 15 days prior to class date. Ammunition will be available at low cost on site.

REGISTRATION
To register, please call Rangemaster at 901-370-5600. You may register by phone with a credit or debit card, or fax your information to 901-370-5699. Registration can be made by mail with a check, to Rangemaster, 2611 S. Mendenhall Rd, Memphis, TN, 38115. Questions can be addressed to [email protected] . See www.rangemaster.com for more details on our facilities and other training opportunities. Registered students will receive directions, hotel list, equipment list and other information near class time.
Old August 1, 2011, 08:51 PM   #2
OldMarksman
Staff

I just returned from having attended this session. I cannot overstate the benefit. One learns things that are not covered in CCW courses, legal articles and white papers, books, articles, and so forth. I already had a fairly strong understanding of both the principles of the laws regarding the justified use of force and of many of the laws and case law of many of our states, so I pondered whether the investment of time and money would really be worthwhile.

However, on fiddletown's recommendation, I signed up and took off for Memphis.

There is no question that it was worthwhile. I heartily recommend it.

Does the cost sound steep? Consider two things: should you need it, the knowledge gained may turn out to be priceless; and just maybe, money for that new 1911 or SBR can be redirected to a higher priority.
Old August 2, 2011, 12:04 AM   #3
Frank Ettin
Staff

OldMarksman,

Glad that you found it worth your time.