The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 29, 2001, 12:45 AM   #1
bismark

Problem with older Remington.

Okay folks, I've got a problem with my beautiful Remington 11-48. It shoots great with heavy loads, but any suitable trap load proves insufficient to work the action. I'd really like this to be my trap shooting gun, but first it has to work reliably. I'm guessing I can put in a weaker recoil spring, but where can I get such an item? I've searched high and low, and most people just shrug when I ask about it and say "oh, you mean 1187"...I now turn the problem over to the bastion of knowledge that TFL is. Thanks in advance.
Old December 29, 2001, 01:32 AM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Believe it or not, I do know the difference. The 11-87 is a gas gun, I think Remington's first. The 11-48 is a modified and streamlined version of the Model 11, which is the "squareback" Browning Auto 5 as made here. But IIRC, the 11-48 has only one friction ring, unlike the setup on the Model 11. You might first try oiling the the magazine tube. If that doesn't work, you can try taking the friction ring out entirely.

Jim
Old January 2, 2002, 06:17 PM   #3
bismark

Thanks alot, cleaned and oiled mag tube and friction ring, reliability is now 100%.