The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 12, 2008, 06:30 PM   #1
keys85

Bayonet Lug Removal (legality)

I need to remove the bayonet lug on a flash suppressor for a M1a build to adhere to CT laws. I have taken off the ears of the bayonet lug on my AR-15s, and to my knowledge, this is acceptable - however, because the function of the lug on the m1a is slightly different, my question is must I totally remove the lug or is simply grinding the ears off sufficient?
Old October 12, 2008, 06:53 PM   #2
Swampghost

Common sense says that as long as you can't mount a bayonet you're good, your local laws may say differently.

In a way this is funny. There are all types of shootings now days and I have yet to hear of one bayonet charge.
Old October 12, 2008, 08:56 PM   #3
NormOps

This Just In!
Man robs Cashier at Bayonet Point - Suspect Apologizes For Unconventional Methods, Says He needed Money to Buy Ammo For Next Hiest...
Old October 12, 2008, 09:07 PM   #4
kraigwy

This is funny. Ok I have an 1874 Remington Rolling block in 44-90 Sharpes Bottleneck. It has a bayonet lug. Does that mean this gun would be illegal in Conn. ?

Damn I like Wyoming
Old October 12, 2008, 09:30 PM   #5
NormOps

The gun was made in 1874?
Now I can not remember the exact cutoff point for manufacture date, but its pretty close to that i think. guns made before a certain date are not considered firearms by the FFL, (hence requiring no FFL license) so I'd think it wouldn't matter.
Old October 12, 2008, 09:32 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

That law is intended to prevent you insane mad-dog murderers from charging down suburban streets in a rampage of bayonetting. Of course there is no exception for the age of the "assault rifle." If the Confederate Army invaded Hartford, how could they be stopped without a law banning bayonet lugs?

Jim
Old October 12, 2008, 09:38 PM   #7
Don H

18 USC 921(a)(16):
(16) The term “antique firearm” means—

(A) any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; or

(B) any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A) if such replica—
(i) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or
(ii) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade; or

(C) any muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzle loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder, or a black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition. For purposes of this subparagraph, the term “antique firearm” shall not include any weapon which incorporates a firearm frame or receiver, any firearm which is converted into a muzzle loading weapon, or any muzzle loading weapon which can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination thereof.
Old October 12, 2008, 09:40 PM   #8
Harry Bonar

bayonet

Sir;
I've god Monsin Nagants and other military rifles that I don't worry about being able to have a bayonet for!
But, Jim has a fantastic sense of humor - I've seen it before and it can be hilarious for such an intelligent smithy!
Harry B.
Old October 12, 2008, 09:48 PM   #9
keys85

Well the idiots who made the laws are idiots. Even without the bayonet lug one can still mount a bayonet with the use of a little duct-tape. That can hold true with any rifle...But the bayonet on the m14 slides over the flashhider anyways...so, technically speaking, the lug is the only thing "locking" it in place. By removing the ears the bayonet can not lock on. Whether the entire lug is removed or not has little difference in that manner. I'm just wondering what most people do these days. From what I understand, most people just take the ears off the lug on the AR-15s, but not sure if they do the same on the M1a or if they go all out and grind it flush. I suppose that the idiots who made the laws couldn't tell the different in function anyhow, but the fact that there's something there (from a distance the removal of the ears makes the rifle appear to still have a functional lug) may or may not raise attention.

But yes, you are right. It's ridiculous to be able to own a knife, or a pole-saw, or a knife taped on to a pole, but illegal for us to own a functioning rifle (a device that shoots BULLETS) with far superior capabilities to cause harm over the choice of bayoneting. I can't say I've ever heard of a crime committed with the use of a bayonet because the attacker ran out of BULLETS. I was going to bring a rifle to the range with a large dildo taped to the end of it as to raise curiosity, in which I'll explain to my fellow shooters that my first choice was to have a fixed bayonet.
Old October 12, 2008, 11:33 PM   #10
NormOps

Hmmm... this gives me an idea. A Bayonet for your 1911 or Glock...
Old October 13, 2008, 10:18 PM   #11
10-96

Well, there's this... http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=228932

Too bad we can't be as silly as the lawmakers and say, "Dude, that ain't a bayo lug! That's what I dangle my bi-pod, flashlight, and beer cooler off off!"

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old October 22, 2008, 10:52 AM   #12
Double J

Now there's a good idea. Why not make a flashlight that will snap onto a bayonet lug? Sounds practical to me. A Swiss army knife with a light would be great.
Old October 22, 2008, 06:20 PM   #13
10-96

Quote:
Why not make a flashlight that will snap onto a bayonet lug?
THANK YOU!!! Man, I've thought the same thing for years. I even tinkered with the idea (well, before the price of bayo went sky high) of puttin something together along that line (well, before my ex-wife decided I couldn't tinker in my ex-shop any more).

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old October 22, 2008, 10:59 PM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

Most states with "assault weapon" laws...

Generally copied the 1994 Fed AWB, (but without the sunset provision), and if so it takes a combination of certain features to put the rifle in the prohibited category. Check you state law carefully, because it may differ from the fed model in some details.

If you are building an M1A, why not just get one of the "post ban" front sight assy, which do not have the bayonet lug?
Old October 27, 2008, 01:45 PM   #15
JasonG

"Just duct tape the bayonet on"
Shhhhhh !!!! Keep it down or they'll ban duct tape !
Funny, here in Ga you can carry a .44mag on your hip, but put a knife over 4" in your pocket and you're illegal..........sorry to drift off topic.