The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 14, 2016, 02:53 PM   #1
winchester1917

Both eyes open through 1-4x, 1-6x, etc

Are 1-x power scopes intended to be useable with both eyes open on 1x? I recently handled a Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24 in the local store, and, while it's a very nice optic, it didn't seem very useable that way (didn't seem to be truly unmagnified) and also exhibited what I think would be called "fisheye" at 1x. Is that the norm for this type of optics?
Is there another brand (Burris MTAC, etc?) that is better suited?

Last edited by winchester1917; October 14, 2016 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Typo in title...
Old October 14, 2016, 05:18 PM   #2
Fla_dogman

I do with my fixed 3x Burris AR 332. I find myself doing it with pistols and other scopes too form time to time. It really gives you a wider field of view IMHO

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
Old October 14, 2016, 05:27 PM   #3
Snyper

I keep both eyes open with all scopes.
Old October 14, 2016, 07:10 PM   #4
winchester1917

Ok, let me clarify. I understand that many shooters keep both eyes open when using magnified optics. That's not what my question is about.
I'm talking about using it as one would a red dot, allowing rapid target acquisition and so on.
Old October 14, 2016, 08:24 PM   #5
Targa

Certainly not from my experience, rapid target acquisition is where the red dot shines.
Old October 14, 2016, 08:25 PM   #6
jmr40

All scopes are meant to be used with both eyes open. Some people find it easier with lower powered scopes.

The key is the amount of eye relief and generally as magnification goes up eye relief goes down. Some scopes require the eye to be closer to the rear objective and are harder to use with both eyes open. Some brands of scopes have a thick black ring around the edges that obstruct the view. It is like looking through a card board paper towel tube.

Other brands are much more user friendly in this regard. I use Leupold 1-4X20,VX-1's on some AR's and find them far, far faster and easier to use than irons or any dot sight I've tried. In fact the generous eye relief on most all Leupold scopes makes them the easiest to look through quickly even with more magnification. They don't have the cardboard tube effect either. The image goes all the way to the edges and you only see a thin black line that is barely noticeable.

In the same price range the glass is very similar between all of the manufacturers. It is the other features that sell me on a scope. Leupold is at the top all around. The Redfield Revolution is made by Leupold and is similar. Burris is good too, as is the discontinued Zeiss Conquest models.

Vortex makes good optics. I have 2 pair of their binoculars that are my favorites. But as good as their glass is, I don't like their scopes for the reasons above.
Old October 14, 2016, 10:51 PM   #7
winchester1917

Both eyes open through 1-4x, 1-6x, etc

"All scopes are meant to be used with both eyes open."
That may be so, but still not what I'm getting at...
When I look through my Primary Arms micro dot, with both eyes open, it's as if there is a red dot in front of both eyes. Even with the objective cap closed the red dot is still superimposed on the picture viewed by the opposite eye. (I know this is common knowledge, just trying to explain my question). Is this effect supposed to be experienced with a 1x variable scope?

With a powered scope, both eyes open, for me at least, the picture viewed in each eye is in contention with the other. I can't "see" both clearly simultaneously. I have to concentrate on which eye I want to "look through". With the red dot, both eyes work perfectly together and the brain processes it as a combined picture.

Targa indicates the red dot has the advantage in that regard. I'm wondering if that's the consensus. Or am I just looking at the wrong brand/model/price point...?
Old October 14, 2016, 11:58 PM   #8
Water-Man

Simple answer to your question is yes.

In many cases, there is some distortion at 1x.