The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 1, 2000, 02:22 AM   #1
Kent White

Okay, so is the Mustang no longer made now? I was kinda looking for one to replace my stolen Beretta M21.
Old June 1, 2000, 08:57 AM   #2
KilgorII

I'm pretty sure they aren't made at this time. I talked to a Colt representative and the plan is to reintroduce these "less profitable" items when George W. Bush enters office and this legal burden is alleviated.

My fiance has a stainless model and it is a good gun. It is very accurate. It is not 100 percent reliable. I'm planning to send it to Scott MacDougal and Associates to have their Personal Carry Package done on it. You can check out their website at http://www.colt380.com You might want to post another thread about them if you are interested. They come highly recommended.

You can find one at a gun show barely used for around $500. I would advise spending the money on a 9mm Glock 26 though. The Glock is 100% reliable requiring no aftermarket mods. Only downside is it is a little thicker for carry. But that isn't a huge downside as it still conceals very well.

Old June 1, 2000, 09:50 AM   #3
Kentucky Rifle

I have a Mustang Pocketlite. It's my really hot weather pistol. Also, I carry it in a waist pack when I go for walks. It weighs just 12.5 ounces, is .380 caliber, loaded with alternating rounds of Federal Hydra-Shok and Glaser blue's. I feel pretty good about the little .380. It's quite accurate. I don't practice as much as I should, However the Mustang has been 100%. I'm happy with it. I saw a Pony Pocketlite (same, but double action only) at the last gun show for $385.00 NIB.)

Will

------------------
Mendacity is the system we live in.
Old June 1, 2000, 07:53 PM   #4
Ledbetter

Hi,

I had a very bad experience with a Mustang bought new late last year.

The slide was of such soft steel that the slide stop wore off the 90 degree corner of the slide stop cut on the slide. Returned it, Colt sent it back with a new slide which did the same thing. Colt has promised me a refund.

Failure to lock back is a chronic problem on these guns, I have heard, although I have two Gov. .380's which have no problems. They are in nickel and stainless, however.

Be careful to ensure that the slide locks back securely if you buy a Mustang, and I recommend getting one in stainless.

Good luck.

Ledbetter

[This message has been edited by Ledbetter (edited June 02, 2000).]
Old June 1, 2000, 09:02 PM   #5
sigman

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kent White:
Okay, so is the Mustang no longer made now? I was kinda looking for one to replace my stolen Beretta M21.[/quote] I saw a colt mustang pocketlite today at a local gun store. It wasn't cheap but looked in good shape. If you are interested call The Rangemaster (store name) at 805 545-0322. The asking price is $450.00 but they are becoming collector pieces I think. The store is in California and I've found them good to do business with.