The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 26, 2009, 11:38 PM   #1
The Burro

Ammo jams in a Rem. 243 Win. semi-auto.

I have a persistent problem with ammunition jams with a 1970's vintage Remington semi-auto in 243 Win. It has been serviced by a gunsmith, but both reloads and store bought ammo cannot be depended upon to cycle without some jams.Current reloads are from Lyman recipe using full sized Lee dye set, 105 gr. Hornady A-Max bullets, 35.2 gr. IMR 4350 powder & Remington 9 1/2 lge rifle primers. Someone has suggested going to a small base sizer die for reloads and I'm seeking advice from someone who has dealt with and overcome this problem. Magazines are relatively new, so I'm assuming that they are not the problem? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks, The Burro
Old June 27, 2009, 12:23 AM   #2
Csspecs

Give a detailed description of the jams that you are having. That could help, if they are mostly the same thing.
Old June 27, 2009, 05:23 AM   #3
Seedtick

I own and load for a Remington Model 742 (got it new back in 1980) in .243 although I've not shot it in several years. I never had any trouble with factory ammo but I had to switch to a small base full length sizing die to get it to completely return to battery. I would recommend that you get yours to work reliably with factory stuff and that fix might also take care of the reloads. Do you have a new/unaltered Remington factory magazine? I bought a non-factory mag and I never did make it work right.

I picked up some ballistic tips and I'm gonna load some up and shoot my old .243 some in the near future.

ST
Old June 28, 2009, 06:54 AM   #4
James R. Burke

I had a differernt caliber that I had to go to a small base sizer die. That corrected the problem. Not sure if that would do it for you, but it worked for my .308 at the time.
Old June 28, 2009, 09:18 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

35.2 gr. of IMR 4350 is under minimum for a 105 grain bullet according to Hodgdon. 36.7 to 40.2. H4350 starts at 35.0 grains. The two powders are close, but not the same. However, because it's not happening with just your reloads, that's not likely to be the cause. Something in the rifle is the cause. Most likely the mag. The lips may be bent in a tick. Long, fine, needle nosed pliers will fix that.
How is it jamming? If, for example, the cartridge isn't coming out of the mag and into the chamber, it's the mag. Jams are caused by the ammo or the mag, most of the time.
Full length resizing every time is required for any semi-auto. Either a regular FL die or a Small base die. Your FL die is fine. If you do opt to buy an SB sizer die, you'll only have to buy that one die, not a whole set. Since it happens with factory ammo too, I doubt it'll make any difference though.
Old June 28, 2009, 10:37 PM   #6
snuffy

Failure to go completely into battery,(the bolt locking lugs NOT rotating all the way closed), is caused by a dirty chamber. Since you are having this problem with factory loads, it isn't a sizing issue. But, since you didn't go into detail about just where the jam occurs, I'm/we're just guessing. Did the gunsmith pull the barrel, then polish the chamber? I bet he didn't, just gave it a swipe with a chamber brush.

When I worked in a gunshop that specialized in 740, 748, 7400 rem rifles, every one had the barrel pulled, then the chamber was polished with a high speed ΒΌ inch drill spinning an old 30 cal brush wrapped with 4-0 steel wool. Problem rifles that had chronic jamming, ran great for several years, or until the chamber got rusty or fouled.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old June 29, 2009, 10:43 AM   #7
The Burro

243 Ammo Jams

Thanks for the imput...The "jam" normally manifests by the round not entering the breach properly before it is slammed forward...generally the bullet tip is slightly dinged as a result. No, I'm sure that the gunsmith did not remove and polish the barrel based on the charge for the "repair". He says that he ran 10 rounds through when He was finished and had no problems, however.
Once ammo becomes available again, I might try a few different suppliers to see if any of them work OK, then proceed back to alterations on my reloading dies, recipes, etc. and/or find another gunsmith to do a more detailed repair.