The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 7, 2007, 06:10 AM   #1
Stargazer

Chrony errors...?

Yesterday I was getting a lot of errors and can't figure out why. The day was mostly cloudy so the screens are not supposed to be necessary. The Chrony was 10 feet away and I was shooting a S&W 686 over it trying to test some loads. I was getting a lot of error #9 which in my manual isn't even listed. 1-8 is listed but most of mine were #1's or #9's.

I am finding it very irritating to have to get up and turn it off then back on each time an error occurs. I have already made a remote switch for it and while that works great it will not reset the Chrony after an error. I think a new mutli cable is in order so I can break the battery contact and reset it from afar.

How high above the unit do ya'll shoot? Shoot through the middle of the screens or closer to the top of the Chrony itself?

M70 Web Page
Old April 7, 2007, 06:51 AM   #2
Fiddler 5.56

I've had an original Chrony for many years and sometimes it'll have a "bad day".
I've found the variables that produce errors are Human induced.
I shoot through the middle----about 4 inches above the sensors.
Aim a tad high rather than low at such close range though.

If it's on a Tripod, check it's level.
Old April 7, 2007, 08:14 AM   #3
rwilson452

I aim for the "sweet spot" about 6" above the the sensor. I always use the screens. I modifed mine to accept wood dowels and I marked the dowels with black marker for the sweet spot. There are marks at 4" 6" and 8". the center one being broader than the other two. If your still using the metal rods you can mark them with electrical tape. The measurements are measured virticle not diag. on the rod.
Old April 7, 2007, 01:35 PM   #4
Stargazer

Well I went off the deep end and have ordered a remote control unit. Now no more wires to mess with, just press a button if I get an error or just press the other button to access the other information. It's a kit so it will have to be put together and mated to the Chrony. I will report the results later.

M70 Web Page
Old April 8, 2007, 10:11 PM   #5
amamnn

Shooting Crony manuals list the causes of error messages in them--hopefully you have a manual. In case you do not I will paraphrase from mine. Err1 = the front sensor did not see the bullet well enough to give an accurate reading. Err 9 indicates poor light conditions. The first is a very common misalignment problem. The second indicates that you should have been using the diffusers. Here in the drizzle and fog capital of the USA I use mine without them when the overcast is heavy. When I was in AZ I used to think I knew what a sufficiently cloudy day was to not use diffusers--I was wrong.

One way to ensure that your bullet is going over the sensors is to use a good laser bore sighter (one that has the laser mounted coaxially to the bore, in the muzzle of the gun like the laserlite) in your rifle on its rest aimed at your target. Place a sheet of typing paper or other nice white paper behind the rear diffuser supports perpendicular to the sensor. You'll see where your bullet will pass. Do the same for the front sensor. Don't forget to remove the laser. If you go to Gunzone.com you can see the results of forgetting to do this.
Old April 8, 2007, 10:14 PM   #6
amamnn

PS

A friend tells me you can get diffuser error messages when the battery is low. I have not experienced this myself and have had some batteries give out on me as I use recharge-ables. Still, I pass the info along for what it is worth.
Old April 9, 2007, 11:31 PM   #7
Scott5

Hello all,
I found my batteries getting low frequently so I wired up two in parallel, so that ought to last twice as long.

Happy shooting
Scott5
Old April 10, 2007, 04:52 AM   #8
Stargazer

Scott, that's a real good idea. If I can not get the remote module that is on it's way to work on 9 volts I may have to go 12 volt and use a regulator for the Chrony electronics.

M70 Web Page
Old April 12, 2007, 05:39 PM   #9
Ammo Junky

Quote:
I found my batteries getting low frequently so I wired up two in parallel, so that ought to last twice as long.
I find that suprizing. I have a gama master and leave it on all morning at the range and the battries last many 4hr trips. I would say mine last a yr or so and get a lot of 4hr trips in that time. I use duracell, but doubt enegiser would be much worse.

I apologise in advance for spelling errors.
Old April 12, 2007, 07:12 PM   #10
TimRB

"I would say mine last a yr or so and get a lot of 4hr trips in that time. I use duracell, but doubt enegiser would be much worse."

I measured the battery current of my Chrony at about 10mA once, so given a 625mAHr capacity of a typical 9V alkaline battery, they should last on the order of 50-60 hours.

Tim