The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 8, 2006, 10:02 PM   #1
cobra81

28 gauge loads

Just got my MEC 9000 in 28 gauge to start loading up target shells for informal clay shooting. Only powder I had on hand that was listed for 28 gauge was Unique, so I used it up on a couple hundred hulls. I think I'm going to like this 28 gauge reloading; powder goes a lot further than 12 gauge!

Question is: Does anyone have a favorite load for 3/4 oz. 28 gauge? I've got both #7 1/2 and #9 shot. Need to go out and buy some powder; since this is my first foray into 28 gauge, I'd like some advice from those who are loading for this gauge.

Thanks.
Old August 9, 2006, 09:34 AM   #2
PJR

Why not just stick with Unique? I've just gotten into loading 28 gauge recently too and was quite happy with Unique in Federal Gold Medal hulls. The loads offered by Alliant on their website for this hull with Federal 209A primers are quite good. The other advantage is that Alliant offers loads for various wads with Federal primers and wads.

I've also tried Universal clays which is a denser powder than Unique although at the same burning rate. I was not as happy with it because a book load from Hogdgon resulted in frequent hull separations with the Gold Medals. Admittedly the load was on the warm side and the problem might have been the hulls. I didn't have a similar problem with Cheddite hulls and the same powder load.

Compared to Universal, I can get Unique much cheaper and use a grain less for 28 gauge loads. And in the entirely trivial category I think Unique smells better.
Old August 9, 2006, 10:24 AM   #3
johnbt

I have no experience, yet, but I have lots of hulls and I've been collecting loads and suggestions on which wads and powders to use with which hulls from the Reloading forum at shotgunworld.com

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...b4017656d923d9
Old August 10, 2006, 05:55 PM   #4
kudu

I use Universal Clays on my old AA hulls and all the Remington Premier hulls using Hodgden's web site. I tend to run on the lower end of power because I use them almost exclusively for targets, 1150-1175fps makes nice skeet loads. If I want to load up some game loads I will doctor up my own 'heavy' game loads, I may push them to 1300fps at the most.
Old August 10, 2006, 09:30 PM   #5
cobra81

I got some Universal Clays and am happy with the results. Seemed to load nice at 13 grs. and still get a decent crimp. All I have at the present time are Win AA hulls (old style). They are getting pretty tattered, so I'm going to need to get more hulls.
Any input on the new HS AA or Remington hulls? Thanks, guys.
Old August 10, 2006, 10:25 PM   #6
maas

stick with the old style AA's they hold more powder. (well at least in the 12ga)

There's always one thing that makes Republicans look good on election day...........Democrats!