The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 11, 2023, 11:44 AM   #1
KBP75

Air rifle scopes

I have a .22 air rifle that shoots pellets over 1,000 fps and want to mount a Pentax Gameseeker 3x9 scope on it. My question is; will it hold up to the reverse recoil? I have been told that only scopes that have etched in reticles will handle the reverse recoil. Does my Pentax have an etched in reticle? If not, what scopes will be good to use on the air rifle? Thanks!
Old November 11, 2023, 12:03 PM   #2
tangolima

Is it a piston type air gun? Reverse recoil is not much a problem if not.

Etched reticles are very common nowadays. Even a <$100 Chinese scope has it.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old November 11, 2023, 09:20 PM   #3
KBP75

Air rifle scope

Thanks for the info! I have a Hasan air rifle. It has a beautiful Walnut stock and has a break open barrel piston. It packs quite a punch for an air rifle. It does recoil some so I don't want to put a scope on it that will have its sight reticles come loose. I have 4 Grandsons and I find its a great way to teach them to shoot. They are not afraid of the noise and its much cheaper than regular .22 ammo to shoot. My 10 year old grandson gives me strong competition shooting at 40 yards! My big issue is that the scope that came with the rifle is junk! I wish I knew if my Pentax has etched reticles. Does anyone know how I can find out?
Old November 11, 2023, 10:24 PM   #4
tangolima

I know that rifle. Almost bought one myself. It is a piston gun.

I looked briefly. The Pentax gameseeker's reticle looks etched, although I can't find specific information. It is simply too difficult to make if it is not by etching.

Old fashioned reticle is thin metal wires, or even real hairs, attached to the scope internal structure. The attachment, sometimes just blops of glue, is designed to overcome the usual backward acceleration. It would detached if the acceleration is forward. Etched reticles are etched on lens, so it would do better. But forward acceleration may still, although less likely, detach the lens. The safest way is to have scope specifically designed for piston guns. Having said that, I've seen many normal scopes mounted on piston guns. They don't seem to have problems, at least not yet.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old November 13, 2023, 09:30 PM   #5
Shadow9mm

I put a hawke on mine, holding up fine. Id avoid putting traditional scopes on air rifles.