The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 10, 2013, 10:07 PM   #1
bushrat1

Number of Women Hunters Increase

Today Fox News reported a 25% increase in Women hunters since 2006. I think that's great. My wife has been my best hunting partner for over 22 years now.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/1...rs-since-2006/

How many of you men encourage, and even take your wives out hunting with you?
Old November 11, 2013, 01:24 AM   #2
FrankenMauser

My wife doesn't hunt, but she does come along on fair weather hunts.
Old November 11, 2013, 05:23 AM   #3
cdmckane

My wife has had her license since she was 16 but after a bad experience with her dad being too pushy on her first hunt, she hasn't been in the woods since. She's expressed some interest lately so I picked up a Winchester 94 in 44 mag for her to carry, though I don't expect her to actually take a shot. Maybe if I can show her hunting doesn't have to be stressful, she'll get into it more.
Old November 11, 2013, 09:06 AM   #4
kraigwy

I was excited to see the increase in women hunters. I hope there is also an increase in juniors participating in hunting and shooting sports.

A few years ago I was hunting and came across a little Toyota car parked on a dirt road. I saw two young ladies standing near by looking lost.

I stopped to see if there was a problem. There was, they had shot a deer and had no idea what to do with it. Turns out these ladies were single mothers, and they decided to supplement their food stores by hunting. They pooled the meager funds to buy a license, barrowed a rifle and went hunting. Found a nice deer and shot it. I came on them as they were trying to figure out what to do with it and how to get it in their car.

I dressed the deer, loaded it for them. I also gave them a quick idea how to cut it up.

It's great to see more women involved. Its up to us help them to make it as pleasurable as possible so they come back, and when they come back they bring their sons and daughters.

My wife grew up wanting to hunt. She was always told "girls don't hunt" and because of he eye sight she would never be able to shoot.

She told me that I got mad at first, then my Coaching Ego took over. There is no HOPELESS SHOOTERS. I took her out to my back yard range. Zeroed my Model 70 in 257 Rbts. to her eyes and had her whacking a 8 inch gong at 200 yards in no time at all. Then took her out to the ridge behind the house where she got her first deer. That did it, I had to build her "her own rifle" and now she's my hunting partner.

Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 11, 2013, 10:03 AM   #5
globemaster3

My wife has been on exactly one hunt with me in the 20+ years we've been together. Duck hunted a spot that one of my friends had limited out at the day before. We saw no ducks...

Now, my oldest was hitting the woods scouting with me when she was 5-6 years old. She'd always bring this pair of toy binoculars and jump out of the truck when we parked and begin scanning the woods... She was gung-ho!

Later, she got her hunters safety done and began carrying in the woods with me. Her first animal was a big black rooter with her .243. Later that year, she got her first deer, a spike.

Since, she's shot 3 more, a fork/spike and 2 does. Now instead of the .243, she's carring a 6.8 AR. No hunting for her last year as I was in AFG. Now this year we are sitting out again as the movers are here packing us for the next PCS w/ 4 months training TDY enroute....

Maybe next year.

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old November 11, 2013, 11:20 AM   #6
Pahoo

Our numbers are gong up !!!

Lately, we have seen an increased number of Females, at out Hunter Safety classes. We have also seen an increase in Female instructors. Many are Veterans and right off, you can tell they know how to handle a firearms and some are very good shots. I'd say that about 1/3 of our classes, are attended by females. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old November 11, 2013, 11:54 AM   #7
SPEMack618

No wife to take hunting, nor girlfriend.

That being said, my little sister has taken a shine to hunting and has become as much of a part of our hunting club as I am.

So, I guess that covers two blocks, ladies and juniors.

About the only problem is she thinks our black coffee from a percolator is "gross". Got find a way for her to get her mocha lattes in the field so as to have her more alert in the blind.

My big sister isn't much on hunting, but she can certainly cook up some ducks.

However, whereas my little sister likes hunting, my big sis is a now a bit of a gun guy, well girl.
Old November 11, 2013, 12:17 PM   #8
Backwoodsboy

My wife currently hunts with me during firearms season and accompanies me while bow hunting. Her very first day of hunting she dropped a Beautiful piebald doe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-11-19_10-41-15_405-1.jpg (249.2 KB, 37 views)
Old November 11, 2013, 05:31 PM   #9
USCS

My wife grew up hunting, we started hunting together when we were datin, and this year my daughter took her first deer. There's no talk of "girls don't hunt" in my house.
Old November 11, 2013, 08:39 PM   #10
QuarterHorse

Very cool to see!

I just bought my wife her first shotgun this year as she wants to sit in the stand with me during shotgun season for white tail.

We'll see how it goes in a few weeks!
Old November 12, 2013, 11:31 AM   #11
BirchOrr

I raised my son and daughter by myself since they were 6 & 8 yrs old. They are grown and married now. My daughter can out-hunt and fish most men I know including her husband! Ticks him off something terrible. (not really)LOL!

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old November 12, 2013, 01:11 PM   #12
Paul B.

The last couple of Hunter Ed classes I taught not only had more kids but the last one had more young ladies that boys. The church I go to has several kids who were my students and one came up to me just this last Sunday and showed me the picture of the cow elk she got during the youth hunt for elk. Made me feel good. Her two friends and their mothers all went on that hunt, mothers supervising. One of the other young ladies got her deer on her youth hunt. I have noticed more women in the class as well and frankly, I'd rather teach them that the men. Seems like many guys in the class already know it all and I sometimes have to kind of put them in their place. Something I'd much rather not having to bother with. Gets in the way of teaching the kids what they need to know.
Paul B.
Old November 27, 2013, 10:41 AM   #13
pythonwill

My wife had never hunted before she met me, she had gone with her dad but never carried a gun. Well I changed all that. I got her a 6.5x55 and on her first yr hunting she got a spike elk. She has more trouble spotting deer though so she still hasn't got a buck yet. Those blacktails can be sneaky buggers and hard to spot in the thick brush. My oldest daughter has become quite the hunter too. She hasn't got an elk yet but she has several blacktail bucks under her belt and one was a real dandy. My youngest daughter has shown no interest in hunting tho and it bothers me but im not gonna push her into something and possibly ruin it for her down the road.
Old November 27, 2013, 01:13 PM   #14
Rmart30

Current GF had never hunted before and came from a non hunting family.

Took her to the range and taught her to shoot. Went on her first hunt last year and she got a nice doe. Shes hooked. Now shes all about a big buck and a big hog for this year.