The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 28, 2015, 06:10 AM   #26
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Cancer causing? Nope. Printed label on the can reads no carcinogens Bio-Degradable.
Old October 28, 2015, 07:41 AM   #27
BlackPowderBen

you can get a 16 oz thing of it on ebay for $19

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ballistol-Mu...0AAOSweW5VLB7L

any of you use the ballistol wipes? I have one on the workbench that's never been used
Old October 28, 2015, 07:15 PM   #28
BirchOrr

^^^

Bear grease
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old October 29, 2015, 12:11 PM   #29
Jimbo-Indy

I use straight Ballistol as a lube on my fiber shotgun wads. Place the dry wads in a flat pan and add sme Ballistol to cover the bottom. The wads will soak up the Ballistol overnight. I keep a supply of lubed wads in a plastic container w/ snap on lid. Keeps the powder fouling very soft when shooting a round of trap. Next time, I think I will try a water/Ballistol mix to reduce the cost. I often use 50/50 Ballistol/water for a patch lube in my 50 cal. Hawken. Works just fine. I also swab the barrels of my BP rifles and pistols with straight Ballistol right after shooting. I found it prevents rust and makes the fouling easier to remove at cleaning time. For cleaning, I use hot water and Murphy's Oil Soap followed by dry patches and a coating of Ballistol prior to storage. Never a rust problem. Really like this stuff.
Old October 29, 2015, 06:30 PM   #30
Model12Win

I got out the Ballistol last night guys, used it to finish cleaning my brand new Pedersoli made Harpers Ferry .54 caliber percussion pistol. Smelled like memories!! Can't wait to get back on the black powder bandwagon.