The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old April 14, 2010, 11:34 AM   #1
LordTio3

Call me a crazy carrier...

I have been looked at side-eyed and told I was stupid for this, but I do it anyway because it makes sense to me. I just don't really know how many other people do it as well...

I carry a Glock 19 9mm. 15rd standard capacity. It's a "light" gun, but I'm always looking for a little bit of a lighter load for mobility when carrying concealed. So I don't carry 15 of any particular rounds in my magazines.

I carry 4 rounds of a good manufacturer's 147gr Hollow points, and 11 rounds of 124gr aluminum cased Blazer FMJ rounds... in all of my carry magazines.

Reasoning... I don't anticipate ever being involved in a John McClain shootout. If I ever need my gun, it'll most likely be for the first few seconds of an encounter. Really not enough time to accurately empty my 15rd capacity magazine.

I have enough of an effective defense round to perform 2 double-taps if necessary, which I train, and then 11 "auxillary" rounds at my disposal. I know how each of them feels when I fire them together, and I train accordingly.

Does anyone else think that doing this to some degree, for whatever reason, sounds like a good idea?
I have a few other reasons, but I'll wait on them for now...

~LT
Old April 14, 2010, 11:39 AM   #2
photogadam

What do you mean by "auxiliary" rounds?
Old April 14, 2010, 11:40 AM   #3
Ludarue

I can't really think of any good reasons to do it, or reasons why I would need to do it. What are the other reasons why you do it?

Also, I would think (correct me if I'm wrong) that the sudden change in the weight of the rounds might affect your shooting in a negative way.
Old April 14, 2010, 12:07 PM   #4
LordTio3

Auxillary as in "rounds that I don't anticipate needing". There are very few, VERY few self defense shootings that go beyond the first few rounds fired. With one in the chamber, I have 5 solid defense loads (as many as a compact revolver) with the capability of 11 more rounds that I don't anticipate needing in a given firefight that I can use if I DO need them.

I've trained with this load out and it suits me very well. I train one double tap and one "failure to stop" using all my 5 defense rounds, then follow it up with relatively quick accuracy shooting, as close to the center as I can put them.

~LT
Old April 14, 2010, 12:11 PM   #5
ZeSpectre

Quote:
There are very few, VERY few self defense shootings that go beyond the first few rounds fired.
Everyone has to do what's right for themselves, but it's probably good to remember that self defense isn't about the odds, it's about the consequences of being unprepared if your number comes up in the bad luck lottery.
Old April 14, 2010, 12:17 PM   #6
espnazi

First of all how much lighter can 11 round of aluminum cased ammo be than a 11 good self defense rounds? not enough to matter.

You say that in most scenarios you wont use those "auxiliary rounds", but what if you do?
Old April 14, 2010, 12:36 PM   #7
Leejack

LT, I've always loaded my mags to full capacity with my SD ammo for carry or HD, and used the cheap stuff at the range.

Please tell us what the other reasons are.

Lee
Old April 14, 2010, 12:48 PM   #8
rickyrick

I like to load 70-75% of mags capacity, easier on the spring, I think (opinion not based on any fact) that a fully loaded semi increases potential failures.
Old April 14, 2010, 12:48 PM   #9
richiep

Do you have a kitchen scale that will measure to the gram or ounce. If you do weigh the 11 rounds of both type. I bet there will not be much of a difference but yea chances are you would never need those rounds or any for that matter but good to be prepared.
Old April 14, 2010, 12:53 PM   #10
publius

I don't really see anything wrong with doing it but it doesn't make sense to me either. Why not just fill the mag with good HP's. i want all the advantages I can get and filling the mag with the proper ammo is the way to go.
Old April 14, 2010, 12:55 PM   #11
Kreyzhorse

To each his own.....

Personally, I'm not sure that you'd notice the extra weight and in a SD gun I'd prefer a full loading of HP even it it was slightly heavier to carry.
Old April 14, 2010, 01:06 PM   #12
johnwilliamson062

In every video of a shooting with amateurs i have seen, which I admit is not too many, guns pretty much get emptied.

I think loading one less round of all good SD ammo would make more sense.
Old April 14, 2010, 01:36 PM   #13
teeroux

Not may firearms carry less than six. So loading 4 and 11 less effective rounds makes a 4 shooter with extra oh crap rnds.

I recently booked in 4 BGs for home burglary. They left when the homeowner shot at them and were picked up imediatly by the lucky patrol going down that street, but in this situation with your loading that would be one hollow point for each of em if they didn't leave and crap if they were still standing or you missed.

You don't get to pick when or how stuff will happen all the choice you have is how you will respond. In a situation when you might already be handicaped why handicap yourself further. IMHO
Old April 14, 2010, 01:45 PM   #14
Leejack

I couldn't care less how much the gun weighs if I'm using it to save my life.

I've heard all kinds of gun theorys in my day, but this thread is beyond the pale!

I say, load it to the max with the good stuff!

Lee
Old April 14, 2010, 01:54 PM   #15
Scoob956

well if you are looking for a lighter load why not just load 4-5 "defensive" rounds total. Your reasoning would support this.
Old April 14, 2010, 01:57 PM   #16
spacecoast

23 grains x 11 rounds = 253 grains, or a whole 0.6 ounces. Not enough to care about IMHO compared to the 2 pound gun. If you feel like you need to carry 15 rounds, I would carry the best.
Old April 14, 2010, 02:01 PM   #17
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
Call me a crazy carrier...
Okay, if it makes you happy you are crazy. Doesn't make much sense but if they all go bang and you can hit what you are shooting at it really doesn't make much difference.

I had to carry FMJ when I was on duty but it was a 45. If I had to carry a 9MM I would find whatever it shoots best at your normal shooting range, buy as many of them as you can and load that exclusively. Shoot the same weight bullet for practice, even the cheap ones should be close to the same point of impact as the premium ones.

My brothers Browning is a case in point. At 50' the 115's go all over the place, 124's shoot a fairly decent group, about 4"-5" and on paper at least deliver more goods to the fight but his 147 grain bullets shoot a tight tight Group. From a rest we can average 2" rarely over a 3" group and we can blame that on our old eyes, not the gun. Based on that experiment for his gun it is all we buy or load for him now. The old odd ball weights laying around are strictly tin can fodder now, no use practicing with them since the gun is happy with the heavy bullets.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old April 14, 2010, 02:35 PM   #18
rjrivero

Aluminum is cheap. Aluminum is soft, and aluminum deforms rather easily. I would rather have Brass or better yet, nickel plated brass in my glock for personal defense.
Old April 14, 2010, 02:39 PM   #19
LordTio3

My main reason of doing it this way is as follows...

I don't anticipate ever being in a gun fight. It is a possibility. That's why I abide by Rule #1 and strap up every morning, while praying against trouble.

Having said that, each type of round is its own tool and is better at certain things. Hollow points are good at transfering kinetic energy into soft targets with minimal penetration. FMJ rounds are made to retain their shape giving them better accuracy and penetrating skills.

This is all common knowledge, I hope.

When I go outside to work on my vehicle, I don't only bring one tool at a time with me. I don't know how many times I've had to return for some other tool for an unforseen cause even when I thought I was over-prepared. That being said, I want as many options as convenience allows. So, I decided early on I wanted to carry both rounds in my magazine.

If I ever do need my gun, I'll most likely need it quick, against 1, maybe two attackers, whether they be human or animal. The report will statistically last only a few seconds (less than 10). In that time, I anticipate my training will take over and I will do what I've taught myself to do without hesitation once my unlock codes have been applied... shoot until the threat stops. Statistically, this should take 6 shots or less.

Now, if I find myself in a situation where I have time to anticipate, perhaps even prepare for an engagement that I don't see fit to or cannot retreat from, and I see that hollow points may not be the best option... i.e. I see the beast before the attack and he's larger than expected, there is something in my line of fire like a pane of glass or a car door and I don't want my rounds "keyhole-ing" or whatever else I can or cannot think of that FMJ rounds are far better suited for, I simply eject my magazine, click out 4 rounds, insert and rack. 11 rounds is still nothing to shake a stick at and still probably more than I'll need. Certainly better than comming from a full-magazine sub compact with weight and sight radius.

It makes sense to me. YMMV. I just want as many tools as I can get ahold of.

~LT
And yes I've thought of just carrying one JHP and one FMJ magazine with me, but in a 99 degree summer heat constantly outside, it's beastly to have to conceal a mag pouch too. I have done it that way and still do sometimes, but when I only have what's in my gun, this is my method of carry.
Old April 14, 2010, 02:49 PM   #20
johnbt

"I see the beast before the attack...I simply eject my magazine, click out 4 rounds, insert and rack."

Oh dear. While you are anticipating trouble you unload your gun? Oh dear.
Old April 14, 2010, 02:55 PM   #21
BigJimP

No, what you're doing makes no rational sense to me....

If you carried that idea of max tools to an extreme....you'd have a:
handgun
a shotgun
a rifle
and that makes no sense either .....

I carry the same load in my carry guns / always a HydraShok - and for me,
8 +1 rds in a 1911 is plenty for "Defense" ...and while I understand your rationale for maybe shooting thru glass ....I'll take my chances ...in the one in a gazillion chance I'll ever need the gun for defense anyway ( my neighborhood just isn't that dangerous).
Old April 14, 2010, 03:18 PM   #22
rjrivero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordTio3
I see the beast before the attack and he's larger than expected, there is something in my line of fire like a pane of glass or a car door and I don't want my rounds "keyhole-ing" or whatever else I can or cannot think of that FMJ rounds are far better suited for, I simply eject my magazine, click out 4 rounds, insert and rack.
Seriously
Old April 14, 2010, 03:20 PM   #23
vladan

Two things :
a) it is not recommended to mix different weight rounds in mag ... each round shoots different.
b) I wouldn't ever use aluminum cased ammo in my carry weapon. Those rounds are meant for cheap practice, not for self defense

If you really want to save some weight just download the mag by one or two rounds
Old April 14, 2010, 03:48 PM   #24
Brandy

4 shots?

Buy an old 4 barrel sharps.... it only held 4 rounds. Worked fine for Yancy Derringer......
Old April 14, 2010, 04:34 PM   #25
Chesster

Quote:
Aluminum is cheap. Aluminum is soft, and aluminum deforms rather easily.
3 good reasons to avoid them for SD carry.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
hollow points , magazine , mix , weight , weird