The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 26, 2020, 05:38 PM   #1
Chaparral

Magnum primers in 10mm?

When loading 10mm does it need magnum primers or just regular? And if not is it okay to use a magnum primer? Thanks.

Last edited by Chaparral; September 26, 2020 at 07:43 PM.
Old September 26, 2020, 05:45 PM   #2
nhyrum

Regular. Really no reason to. The only reason I'd ever purposefully switch to a magnum when standard is used in books is if I'm using h110. But I've never seen an h110 load in 10mm. If you're switching a load you already use to magnum, I would back off a tad. Primers can cause a bit higher pressure sometimes. I use magnums in my 9x25 which is a 10mm case necked to 9mm(like the 357 sig of 10mm) because I use h110 in it. So they'll fit, and with a proper load are safe. But they're not what I'd call "interchangeable"

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old September 26, 2020, 06:32 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

It's not entirely predictable what the primer change will do, so, as Nhyrum said, you back the charge off a little (5% is usually enough when primers are the only change being made) and try it. You may find some powders like HS-6 can benefit from it. The bottom line will be discovering whether the gun shoots better or cleaner or functions more reliably with the magnum primer so that you have some reason to spend the extra money.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 26, 2020, 07:00 PM   #4
Nick_C_S

Not going to repeat what has already been said.

I've loaded my share of 10mm (have two 10mm guns); but not a lot of different loadings. And almost entirely 180 grain bullets.

I have loaded 10mm/180's with HS-6. I had great results with standard primers; where I use magnum primers with HS-6 in 357 & 44 Mag. The shorter 10mm case makes it unnecessary, I suppose. Ignitions seem to be plenty consistent with standard primers.

The only other propellants I have used for 10mm is AA#2 (very light loads), AA#5, AA#7, & Power Pistol. None of these propellants need a magnum primer for any cartridge.
Old September 26, 2020, 07:42 PM   #5
Chaparral

I appreciate you guys. I have been using 800-X with good results. I noticed a local gun store with 2 boxes of large magnum handgun primers on the shelf and was just wondering.
Old September 26, 2020, 08:42 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparral
I appreciate you guys. I have been using 800-X with good results. I noticed a local gun store with 2 boxes of large magnum handgun primers on the shelf and was just wondering.
These days it seems the name of the game is take what you can get, wherever and whenever you can find it.
Jeepaholic
Old September 26, 2020, 09:12 PM   #7
Chaparral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
These days it seems the name of the game is take what you can get, wherever and whenever you can find it.
Yes sir I should have grabbed those two boxes of primers when I saw them. I actually saw a guy in OKC selling small rifle primers for $280 a box of 1000.
Old September 26, 2020, 09:52 PM   #8
Wyosam

I use magnum primers with aa#9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old September 26, 2020, 11:48 PM   #9
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I should have grabbed those two boxes of primers when I saw them.
Yeah, if you're in need of (standard) primers and all you can find is magnums - grab 'em. You can always turn down the recipe (as Unclenick said) and use them.
Old September 27, 2020, 12:09 AM   #10
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I actually saw a guy in OKC selling small rifle primers for $280 a box of 1000.
I'm pretty sure I would just do without at that point (Not to mention, just because someone is selling, doesn't mean someone is buying.)

After the big shortage of '13, I learned my lesson and stocked up. Coincidentally, I am lowest on CCI 300's right now. Nothing near critical though. And I have lots of loaded ammo along with tons of CCI 350's, so it's not too concerning at this point. Further, some 90% of my range shooting is with ammo that uses small primers (38, and some 357 - I'm a revolver guy).

Even with being fairly well stocked, for the time being, I'm going to the range a little less and reducing my round count when I do go. Not to swerve into politics, but if this upcoming election goes unfavorable, I would expect a huge panic buy. So for now, I'm taking it a little easy on component consumption.
Old September 27, 2020, 08:59 PM   #11
Chaparral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_C_S View Post
I'm pretty sure I would just do without at that point (Not to mention, just because someone is selling, doesn't mean someone is buying.)

After the big shortage of '13, I learned my lesson and stocked up. Coincidentally, I am lowest on CCI 300's right now. Nothing near critical though. And I have lots of loaded ammo along with tons of CCI 350's, so it's not too concerning at this point. Further, some 90% of my range shooting is with ammo that uses small primers (38, and some 357 - I'm a revolver guy).

Even with being fairly well stocked, for the time being, I'm going to the range a little less and reducing my round count when I do go. Not to swerve into politics, but if this upcoming election goes unfavorable, I would expect a huge panic buy. So for now, I'm taking it a little easy on component consumption.
Yes sir doing the same as you. Spending a little less time at the range and hanging on to what I have. The large magnum primers were normal price at a local gun store. I think I will go up there first thing tomorrow. But I won't buy any of the stuff from the scalpers. Like you I am fairly well stocked up. And thank God I am in a profession where I am employed right now. I am very blessed. I am unsure of what will happen after November, but yes I expect the panic will be far worse than it is now given a certain outcome.
Old September 27, 2020, 11:30 PM   #12
GeauxTide

Whatever the loading manual says. There's a reason they use particular primers. The 10mm is already a high pressure round (37,500) and mag primers will raise that. The capacity of the round is only 24gr of water, so slow powders wouldn't be indicated. Blue Dot is the preferred choice in the Hornady X manual.
Old September 27, 2020, 11:51 PM   #13
TruthTellers

I seriously doubt that using a magnum primer would raise pressures to dangerous levels. Will there be some pressure increase, yeah, but is it going to be massive? Doubtful. It's not like an extra 1000 PSI is going to take a published load and turn it into a hand grenade.

I've used magnum primers interchangeably with non-magnum primers and found no signs of an increase in pressure.
Old September 28, 2020, 12:15 AM   #14
nhyrum

That 1000 psi just COULD make a difference if you are on the ragged edge of a hot load you made in the winter and are shooting the same load in temperatures 60 degrees hotter. Most loads though, you're right. But it's just safer and easier to check a few by backing the load off a bit and actually making sure.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old September 28, 2020, 01:10 PM   #15
T. O'Heir

The use of magnum primers has nothing whatever to do with the cartridge. Or the cartridge name. Magnum primers are about the powder used.
H110 doesn't need 'em. Hodgdon has a bad habit of saying use 'em by the cartridge name. H110 in .357 and .30 Carbine, for example. They say magnum primers in .357, but not .30 Carbine with the same powder..
Mind you, using a magnum primer may, I say again, may give you higher pressures. They won't cause any damage though. One can use magnum primers in extreme cold without fuss. Of course, nobody ever says exactly how cold extreme cold is. (-40 C or F is cold. Friggin' cold.)