The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 14, 2011, 07:29 PM   #1
ghostriderftl

Bushmaster AR-15's

Is Bushmaster a good quality AR once you check to see if it is staked right?

If not, what parts or repairs would you need to do in order to make them a great AR?

What problems do they have?

What makes them so different from other AR's
Old March 14, 2011, 07:50 PM   #2
That'll Do

It's not just the carrier key that you need to be concerned about. There are other issues, such as a lack of parkerizing under the front sight bas block, a front sight that isn't "F" marked, the lack of HPT/MPI of the barrel and/or bolt carrier group, amongst other things

You can however get an excellent AR for the price of a Bushmaster or DPMS. Bravo Company USA makes excellent uppers and lowers (and complete rifles and carbines). They are a top tier gun, at an affordable price. One place to get them is G&R Tactical (http://www.gandrtactical.com/).

Bushmaster could easily correct the problems with their guns, but they choose not to. An informed consumer will not support a company that takes short cuts to save a buck, at least in my opinion.
Old March 14, 2011, 08:12 PM   #3
Edward429451

(Tag)

I don't have any complaints about my Bushmaster, however, I am not the afficiando that some are nor do I compete, so I am less critical of the brands possible shortcomings.

My carrier was staked right. This rifle shoots better than I do, though I see improvement with the addition of the RRA two stage match trigger for it. Not terribly light and very crisp. IMO, perfect for a GP rifle.
Old March 14, 2011, 10:31 PM   #4
rjrivero

Bushmaster

My Bushmaster was my first AR. It got me into this "disease." I still shoot it in 3 gun. Groups fine, shoots fast. Never had any issues with it at all. It eats up everything I throw at it, and shoots just fine.

Hardly anyone laguhs at my silly little Bushy.......anymore.
Old March 15, 2011, 08:22 AM   #5
Quentin2

I agree with everything That'll Do said. If you already have a BM you can make it last a long time but if you're buying new there are so many better choices at about the same price.

The following sums up the whole situation about as well as I've seen anyone do it.

Quote:
"(That'll Do) ...Bushmaster could easily correct the problems with their guns, but they choose not to. An informed consumer will not support a company that takes short cuts to save a buck, at least in my opinion."

No doubt a great sale may tempt you to break that rule but know what you're getting and what you may need to fix.
Old March 15, 2011, 09:35 AM   #6
HunterGuy

The 2 I have, I bought used from a detective both back in 2000 I think. So they are older models. Don't know much about the newer stuff they are producing but these 2 are very accurate even with mil surp ammo.

I do notice that they both like copius ammounts of lubrication for them to cycle correctly.
Old March 15, 2011, 01:22 PM   #7
Inspector3711

I've got a Bushmaster stainless varmint special that has been fantastic so far.
Old March 15, 2011, 03:00 PM   #8
medic15al

Whats the big deal about no parkerizing under the FSB?

F marked I understand.
Old March 15, 2011, 03:18 PM   #9
That'll Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic15al
Whats the big deal about no parkerizing under the FSB?
Rust. More than a handful of folks have found rust upon removal of the FSB.

And I want to make it clear that I am not putting anyone down for the gun they own. If the weapon works for you, and you like it, so be it. The more AR owners, the better. There is nothing wrong with owning a particular brand of gun.

I just want people to know that there are *excellent* ARs out there for less than some of the more well-know brands, such as Bushmaster and DPMS.

Last edited by That'll Do; March 15, 2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old March 15, 2011, 03:36 PM   #10
medic15al

Oh OK thanks.

I didnt think of that angle. just thought the seal was gas and waterproof.
Old March 15, 2011, 04:04 PM   #11
Longdayjake

it definately isn't gas proof. Most, if not all, gas blocks leak a little. Also, I would like to see an example of rust under a FS that caused the barrel to wear out before it was shot out.
Old March 15, 2011, 04:06 PM   #12
Skadoosh

My Bushmaster XM15 E2 has a barrel that is marked B MP, which stands for "Bushmaster Magnetic Particle". That means that it is a Bushmaster barrel that has been magnetic particle inspected.
Old March 15, 2011, 04:48 PM   #13
shepsan

I have had my Bushmaster since January 2009.

It is designated Model XM15-E2S Type M4A3 Caliber .223-5.56. It has 1/9 Twist and a barrel Length of 14.5”

This XM-15 is highly accurate and has never suffered a mechanical failure. As stated in another post, I too have found my Bushmaster to require more lubrication then other carbines I have owned. I do not consider this to be a detriment.

I am not brand loyal. I am quality concerned. My Bushmaster is an excellent rifle and I believe well worth the price I paid for it.

Attached is my first 200 yard target.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg First 200 Yard Target.jpg (29.1 KB, 52 views)
Old March 15, 2011, 04:56 PM   #14
That'll Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skadoosh
My Bushmaster XM15 E2 has a barrel that is marked B MP, which stands for "Bushmaster Magnetic Particle". That means that it is a Bushmaster barrel that has been magnetic particle inspected.
They're batch tested, not individually tested, as some other brands are. So while at least one barrel in the batch was MP tested, it doesn't mean that yours was.